Arelith: Shaking Up The In Game Landscape.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Stath

Re: Arelith: Shaking Up The In Game Landscape.

Post by Stath » Fri May 19, 2017 2:33 am

Honestly dude i think you should just log in and play/interact with people rather than worrying about what other people are doing. That is the path to the darkside. You'll have a lot more fun if you just approach everything ic. A character is different? Ask them why.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 am

Of all the advice posted in this thread, I think Stath's is the best - and ironically, the most succinct.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:07 am

FrozenSolid wrote: I don't plan on leaving. I have a lot of fun, but the importance of playing your character in the FR world is that if you do not, you're going to have a disconnect with the characters that do and that might lead to conflict that is based on perception rather then actual IC conflict which makes it hard to bring things to a conclusion.
<3

I see people taking your suggestion of stronger (or some) adherence to lore, to the extreme, then disagreeing with their own exaggerated interpretation of the suggestion. I also see a few encouragements to leave. Both behaviours are smelly.

I think it's important that players do try to stick to the lore at least somewhat, to avoid awkward situations like...

Paladins/priests acting out against their own gods dogmas (or not even having gods that they RP following).

Characters who RP against their own alignment and intentionally/unintentionally reap mechanical benefits. Examples being, not being affected by protection vs good/evil when they should be, not being affected by smite good/evil when they should be, or what should be considered an evil elf being granted access to Myon when they shouldn't be.

:::NECESSARY DISCLAIMER:::
Those are just some examples that came to mind. No they are not based off of any specific in-game interaction I've had. Please do not fixate on my example. Please do not exaggerate my mild stance into an extreme one. Please do not imply I am having a tantrum or that my post is emotional or a rant.
DM GrumpyCat wrote:We do deal with more... agrevious cannon situations when we spot them.
(e.g. A necromancer walking around with undead in Cordor, A Paladin who's taking slaves and torturing people, Drow sunbathing, Kobolds/monster races walking around settlments like it's nothing, Ect)
Cool. That's very re-assuring to hear. I see a lot of these situations. I wasn't aware anything was being done about it, but from now on I'll make sure to report these when I see them.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

DMTemplate

Post by DMTemplate » Fri May 19, 2017 3:12 am

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Cool. That's very re-assuring to hear. I see a lot of these situations. I wasn't aware anything was being done about it, but from now on I'll make sure to report these when I see them.
"Report or it didn't happen" is still in effect. We can't be everywhere at all times.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:15 am

DMTemplate wrote:
Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Cool. That's very re-assuring to hear. I see a lot of these situations. I wasn't aware anything was being done about it, but from now on I'll make sure to report these when I see them.
"Report or it didn't happen" is still in effect. We can't be everywhere at all times.
And just to be safe, I was not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely glad to hear that.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Fri May 19, 2017 3:54 am

FrozenSolid wrote:Well. I do enjoy playing here and for players telling me this server isn't for me. I'm sorry a suggested a stronger adherence to lore based role play and the solution, instead of talking about it, is just to leave.
It is not designed to be malicious. People tend to forget that it is simply an option. If you enjoy playing here, all for you. But it's a bit poor form to speak publicly saying others should change how they play. That's the DM's job, as has been made clear.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Fri May 19, 2017 11:52 am

Yeah quitting is an option. But if I quit everything that made me have feels i'd just lay on my face on my bed. (Which I already do 6-8 hours a day anyway huray sleep.)

Thank you to those who posted counter arguments instead of just telling me to stop talking, mind my own business, or go away. I think it was a fairly decent discussion on the large variety of views in regard to character development and creation and what part lore plays for a character. (Even though that was 1 bullet point of a thread that was devoted to something else entirely, but that's okay!)

Also, I'm not a DM but that doesn't mean an opinion on a way to play differently should just be thrown out the window. Nor have I mandated anyone adhere to my suggestions or i'm going to scowl at them if they don't. The post was made for discussion, which is what happened more or less.

Just a reminder: Just because you don't agree with someone's statements. Does not mean they are personally attacking you.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm

I was hoping this would be a thread about how we'd change the actual geography of Arelith. It's a little weird the north part of the island has no beaches...

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri May 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:I was hoping this would be a thread about how we'd change the actual geography of Arelith. It's a little weird the north part of the island has no beaches...
We can fix that. We just have to sink this inconsequential mountain called the Dark Spire into the sea.

The dwarves will be fine, they can swim.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat May 20, 2017 12:25 am

I like to think the docks of guldorand and brog would be considered north beach. One north west and the other north east.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo