Gonnes... do you love em, hate em, do they belong here?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Gonnes... do you love em, hate em, do they belong here?

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:12 am

Meglith wrote:I don't honestly understand how they're balanced, but like others mentioned, they're mostly used for intimidation or for "hail mary" tactics, so apparently they indeed are
One Gonne is never enough. You need three or more to be effective against a high level target. They have no status or combat effects and I believe that firing is a full round action, so pulling the trigger is your first, last, and only move.

If you're fighting a tough target that's already badly wounded, one shot is usually enough to finish them off, but if they're at full health, you'd better hope that they have less than 100HP. Otherwise, prepare to be KD'd, stunned, paralyzed, or otherwise obliterated.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:30 am

Yeah, with a small pack of mid-level characters loaded up with the things, you can wreck literally anyone. With one person? Less so. Combine with monk speed for the most annoying fight ever, though.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 am

Seldom used as I've seen, usually a tool in PVP or for fighting nasty bosses and are popular in the Andunor pit fights. *shrugs*
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Stath

Post by Stath » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:34 am

KregorRanger wrote:Gonnes are actually FR canon in the current era, rare, but canonical.
I remember reading as ye olde teenager in 2nd edition books, something about a race of Hippopotamus Plane hopping mercenaries (Giff, I think) using arquebuses, and also something about Gond the wonder maker helping dem craftsmen to learn a few blueprints in the time of troubles.

They definitely belong on Arelith. They're great, and none of my Characters even use the things.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Norfildor

Post by Norfildor » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 am

Had the chance of taking part in a drow-female-timestop-scroll-gonne-catfight-slugfest once
'twas awsom'

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:07 am

I see no reason to hate on gonnes. They seem like a balanced weapon and one doesn't encounter them much. At least -I- don't. None of my chars have ever been shot at or hit by a gonne, and most have existed ever since the gone was introduced.

Question: Is there something about questionable them that lead to the OP to begin with? It's not like they are ray guns or light sabres.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:20 am

Black Wendigo wrote:Question: Is there something about questionable them that lead to the OP to begin with? It's not like they are ray guns or light sabres.
I bet somewhere those still exist in some way. Don't some psionic classes in DnD get to do some light sabre jedi stuff?

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:25 am

IndifferentPerson wrote:
Black Wendigo wrote:Question: Is there something about questionable them that lead to the OP to begin with? It's not like they are ray guns or light sabres.
I bet somewhere those still exist in some way. Don't some psionic classes in DnD get to do some light sabre jedi stuff?
Yes. Yes, they do. But, in fairness, there's been star ships and laser guns in D&D since the '70s. And if you ever wonder why elves and orcs in the Forgotten Realms setting worship the same gods as the ones in the Greyhawk setting, it's because, by FR canon, both races are space aliens.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Pretty Prince of Parties

Post by The Pretty Prince of Parties » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:16 am

Whenever I find myself caught up in a "war" - whether as a faction leader or not - my first response is typically to place a mass order of gonnes and slugs. They're exceptionally useful for allowing a faction/group that lacks a significant number of epic level PCs to go toe-to-toe with stronger/more established groups. They also can make wizards cry.

I still giggle every time I think back on big bad Jel Lyons ambushing a L11 Havardr and Mari, ending up petrified in her own Evard's field, and finished off with a gonne.

Katze

Post by Katze » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:53 pm

and then.... that memory was gonne!

still, i always found it funny having a kobold with one.
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.