wild mage questions

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Oshido

wild mage questions

Post by Oshido » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey all. Want to mix up the way I play so am leaving my comfort zone in pursuit of wild magic.
I figure its a great way to shoot some life back into these old bones and take advantage of what seems like a pretty cool feature.

The big question I think for me is to perfect wild magic by going all the way to 30, or slip in 3 bard for skills and ac. Any thoughts?

Possible feats would be epic evo for hellball/ruin combo. Epic abjuration would be nice as well. Is Eli mage armor a must?

Was thinking sun elf. I haven't played a mage on arelith yet so any feedback is awesome. I will not plan on conjuration as end game I'd be trying to use the monolith. Am I crazy?
:evil:

gilescorey

Re: wild mage questions

Post by gilescorey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:41 pm

A mage without conjuration or some kind of summon is very difficult to play solo, but it's been done an innumerable number of times.

The better option is to slip in a dip class (Bard, like you mentioned, being the best) since the margin for error at the higher levels is minute, and the wild surge table leans toward the positive or more powerful effects being higher up numerically on the table.

Epic mage armour is nice, but not a must, especially now with the greensteel nerfs. Sun Elf is a fine race. I wouldn't put it before humans, but the gap in power is somewhat marginal.

Everyone I know that's played a wild mage has said it was a blast, so my guess is that you'll have a good time with it.

My decency

Post by My decency » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:48 pm

You'll have a blast when you get this tell:
After you trap your friends in a volcano and almost kill them.

Seriously though...Wild Mage is super fun. As corey said though, the dip is the best option.
Elizabeth 'Jezebel' Kingsley
Yesthyra 'Yessy' Rosewillow
Alais Kingsley
Hunter548 wrote:Sun elves are culturally evil by any standard that isnt slobbing corellons knob

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Dipping is definitely the stronger option (AC, armors, discipline, UMD, etc!), though pure wizard wild mages, while comically vulnerable, are pretty~ dangerous by themselves.
From 27 to 28 you go from having 50% chance to fate any surge you want, to having 100% to flatly fate the surge you want, you get an extra feat, more spell penetration (as if it mattered at that level), and m0ar surges.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 pm

I'd argue the 100% success rate is worth it if you want to make full use of wild mage powers especially if you plan to do so in combat or RP/PVP situations. You only get one use per rest after all so you want it to work when it really matters. Dipping is the conventional wisdom with casters but "comically vulnerable" as a pure mage- especially wild mage- is an exaggeration. You can still get discipline to 40-50, armor is a mixed blessing and since you can cast Time Stop as much as you want (and make your own scrolls) UMD is more handy than necessity. Besides if you really care about survivability you're playing the wrong class..!

I'd say plan to play pure-- you can always change your mind later-- and save the dips for regular mages and sorcerers.

As far as focuses-- conj. is very good if you solo. Enchantment is a must now for reasons that should be apparent. What you should really do is look at the epic spell focus abilities as well as the greater spell focus free and endlessly castable spells-- conj. not only gives you better summons but free endless (and non-surging) acid arrows for example. I might suggest craft wand as a necessity on wild mages for times you really don't want to risk a surge as well, if you plan to have your character care.
Last edited by Tourmaline on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh. I thought the spells such as acid arrow from conj came from choosing a spell school at creation. You say it comes with greater focus? I tried to find that info but couldn't.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 pm

You have to be a general mage to do wild mage-- you actually can't choose a school at creation at all. But yeah if you have greater focus you get the bonus spells. They're on the Wiki.
Last edited by Tourmaline on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks man.

Meliboeus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Meliboeus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:38 am

Embrace your weakness. Take neither discipline nor tumble. Be level 30 with an AC of 10. And still slaughter all the fools that oppose you. It's what real wizards do.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

8 AC, gift of humility.
Live the dream.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

The Melancholy Harmony

Post by The Melancholy Harmony » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am

Iceborn wrote:8 AC, gift of humility.
Live the dream.
While we're at it make it a goblin...
Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Not sure if halfling or slutty child.
IG Quotes
Aumus Marque wrote:I'm a pink unicorn!!!!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:22 am

Also, if you care about replenishing your spell, a pure Wild Mage gets 50% chance at Level 30 to replenish a 9th Circle Spell. Where a level 27 Wild Mage would get 44% chance. Not that big of a difference though.

Wiki:
Whenever a wild mage casts an arcane spell, there's a natural 5% that a Greater Wild Surge will trigger. Whenever this happens, both the spell and the surge will take place, and there's a chance that the spell will be replenished.
To replenish a spell, a d100 is rolled against a DC defined by the WM's level and the spell's circle. The DC is lowered by 1 for each wild mage Level and an additional 3 for every 6th wild mage Level, so at level 30 the DC reduced by 45 with and 50% chance of replenishing a level 9 spell.
Circle 1-4: Automatic success
Circle 5 Spell DC: 35
Circle 6 Spell DC: 50
Circle 7 Spell DC: 65
Circle 8 Spell DC: 80
Circle 9 Spell DC: 95
Epic: N/A
If the spell is casted from any other spellbook, the spell will not be replenished.
The infinite spells granted by Greater Spell Focus cannot trigger surges.

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Going with a squishy pure wm.
Sooooo. Are all of these crucial in epics? Things I can live without?
Esf concentration
Eli mage armor
Epic combat casting
Wants are esf necro
Esf evo
Esf abj
Mummy dust
Hellball
Greater ruin

condotierri

Post by condotierri » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Dump Epic Combat Casting and even combat casting and get your concentration to 25 and always have defensive casting mode on. This will also free up a feat + epic feat. Reason being is that you should have ~50-60 conc which is enough to defend from most damage. If a WM is going to crit you an extra 10 conc will not stop a 100+ crit from interrupting you.

I'd throw in summon dragon knight. They are incredibly good. Also, not sure about mummy dust if you aren't going heavy necro build, but that is something minor I guess. If you are low on feats, perhaps the above suggestion now helps or drop esf abj (greater is enough to stop igms with shield). Then go heavy necro (esf necro + mummy dust), if you are still low on feats then perhaps dump necro altogether and just doing esf conj since the elementals are quite good.