What does the new Death Penalty mean to me?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

What does the new Death Penalty mean to me?

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

So, I figured with all the posts on the death penalties, I would post something from a more personal perspective as a neutral as I avoid PvP like the plague, so heres my own perview of it.

1. - Regular deaths still have a 5 minute time-out for the Soul Gate
- PVP deaths will have a 20 minute time-out for the Soul Gate

On regular deaths, this is fine and dandy. On PvP death, why are we punishing players that get pvp'd? Yes death has meaning, I get that entirely and all my characters strive to avoid it, but I must admit the first thought that comes to my mind is, wow, this is REALLY gonna suck for a character that gets pvp'd if I have to kill them, now I will fill horrible if I don't oocly raise them so they arent stuck for at least 20 minutes being bored, as I would really hate that myself. So essentially I see this causing more OOC play then IC.

2. In simple terms, if you die from PVP within 4 RL days more then once, then you'll start suffering from longer death penalties, starting with twice the regular duration for 2 PVP deaths, up to 4 times the regular duration for 5 or more PVP deaths.

Again, why? Why are we punishing the victims of PvP? I really do not see a point to this, its literally coming across as a point of either be the strongest on the server, or don't you dare think of pvping, also do not have a conscious or your gonna be doing a lot of ooc. Which for note I do NOT think this was the ideas of the Staff when it was implemented.

Note: This whole update of course makes PVP deaths more meaningful and serious, but it's not intended as a license to go out on a killing spree. You're still obligated to live by the be-nice and PVP rules as always.

Honestly, no, no it really doesn't in my opinion, for me I see it more as "Please, be more OOC with your character in regards to not killing or bashing player corpses even if its entirely OOCly against what your character would do as this "WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT" cause hurt feelings as NO ONE wants to sit that long and lose RP or game time due to an OOC mechanic that is meant to punish players.

So, to sum this all up. This is strongly coming off as "Do not play an evil character that people will wanna kill" because well, once they start killing you, be prepared to lose all fun at all. Your gonna be sitting in the death area for a LONG time when they kill bash you which in the cases of evil is VERY often. Also, please have an OOC mentality to raise everyone no matter weather or not your character would because lets face it, if you don't, your gonna feel like a total jerk for making them lose their fun and gaming time because you made them wait in the Fugue for 20+ minutes ON TOP of the res sickness.

So please....tell me again how this is doing any good for the server or the RP? Because as I pointed out about, I don't see it.

Also, edited to add, now that you MUST be online for the res penalty to fade? Really? Again reinforcing the idea that again it is better to be entirely OOC in not hurting other players rather then be IC about bashing that vile monsters skull in as your character truly would.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: What does the new Death Penalty mean to me?

Post by Dalenger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I think an expansion of the death area could making being dead much less boring. As it is, there's really nothing to do but open your map, run to the nearest light, and go make yourself a sandwich.

What about adding NPCs, random encounters, or even a few dungeons to death? FR has a lot of lore concerning the afterlife, why not exploit it?
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm going to say this:
Arelith has a LOT of mechanics that, when they were implemented, nobody thought "mm, I wonder if I will still find this enjoyable after I've done it 400000 times?" The answer to all of them is "no".

The idea is fair, but I don't see how to make it.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Dalenger wrote:I think an expansion of the death area could making being dead much less boring. As it is, there's really nothing to do but open your map, run to the nearest light, and go make yourself a sandwich.

What about adding NPCs, random encounters, or even a few dungeons to death? FR has a lot of lore concerning the afterlife, why not exploit it?
This is my stance as well. If they made the death area less boring, this would not be as bad.

Actually, on death ideas, it'd be cool if PC's ended up in a general area in death befitting their race/religion/possibly alignment. Or if a warlock ended up in death and had to beg to their pacter to be given another chance at life, at another random price, giving them a possible new motivation. Or a generic death area, with representatives about of different faiths/religions/races you speak to decide whether to go on forever (Death), or return to life.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Don't defend this design feature with "Make the death area more interesting". It's adding a little chocolate to cover all the issues people are having with the first feature to begin with. That being that you are punished and forced to be afk.

Just saying; "Well then run around in this totally awesome revamped death area with all the vendors, exciting new zones, monsters and advent-" -- No. Just no, please. It doesn't change the fact that you sit around, though be it in a different area.
Over time this excitement will fade eventually as well, and then what? Sparkle more chocolate ontop of it to cover that as well?

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Xanos950 wrote:Don't defend this design feature with "Make the death area more interesting". It's adding a little chocolate to cover all the issues people are having with the first feature to begin with. That being that you are punished and forced to be afk.

Just saying; "Well then run around in this totally awesome revamped death area with all the vendors, exciting new zones, monsters and advent-" -- No. Just no, please. It doesn't change the fact that you sit around, though be it in a different area.
Over time this excitement will fade eventually as well, and then what? Sparkle more chocolate ontop of it to cover that as well?
If you like chocolate that much, yes. I prefer honey or strawberries.

This is not a defense, merely a suggestion to ease some of the problematic issues.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

whats needed is to have this reversed, its clearly something that is only detrimental to the server and going to hurt players.

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:whats needed is to have this reversed, its clearly something that is only detrimental to the server and going to hurt players.
We'll have to give it some time and see if it gets reversed or modified.