Miniature Thread

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Manabi

Miniature Thread

Post by Manabi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 am

Wanted to share some miniatures I received in the mail. Of course any other P&P fans out there can share their own. I got these all from reaper if anyone is curious.

Last edited by Manabi on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Freyason

Re: Miniature Thread

Post by Freyason » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 am

Between Reaper/GWS and other brands (all the way to ral partha/grenadier) I probably have close to thousand at home at any time lol

If they're painted there's normally picture of singles, this one just had too many (and focus got messy) cos I was sending it to friend before I put them up on ebay

(right click, open image in new tab)

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 am

WOW those look amazing. I wish I had the patience to learn how to paint well. I may get more heavily into it once my collection grows.

Meliboeus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Meliboeus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm

I never used models for PnP DND but always loved Warhammer, Bloodbowl and Mordheim. Now I'm wondering whether I missed out!

Tyris

Post by Tyris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Love them, great thread, when I get home will take a few pictures

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 pm

if this thread gets to 2+ pages is it still miniature?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 am

Meliboeus wrote:I never used models for PnP DND but always loved Warhammer, Bloodbowl and Mordheim. Now I'm wondering whether I missed out!
I can't play it without models (Currently doing 3.5 pretty much daily). I've heard people say that it's easier without them, but I don't understand how.

Flanked enemy is flanking PC who is flanking another enemy. Penalties on AC all around &sneak damage. Ranger fires into combat, takes attack roll penalty. Character A takes a 5 foot step to avoid AoO but can't avoid having to move through a threatened square of Enemy C who does get the hit because the AoO was on a threatened square costing some AC. Keeps moving til' out of threatened square so they can use a wand behind enemy D to continue the flanktrain.

I don't understand how to do this game without some visual representation on a grid. IDC if it is graph paper and thumbtacs or what, but I can't understand playing without at least "something."

Meliboeus

Post by Meliboeus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:11 am

Well we did use graph paper but I think it worked because the DM was very much in charge of situational bonuses and just made rulings based on what made sense in the situation rather than precisely what 3.5E said. We all started on 2E which didn't have rules based around squares so that might have something to do with it too.

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:44 pm

These are all pre-painted, and from either D&D or Pathfinder stuff.

I do enjoy using them during play sessions, I find that they help a lot, specialy for new players. However, when needed, the theater of imagination can also work just as well. Specialy for stuff that you have no miniatures for.

Anyway, these are some of my favorites:

(I have a whole quest more or less thought of with the weird dude on the far right.)

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:40 am

Daedin wrote:These are all pre-painted, and from either D&D or Pathfinder stuff.

I do enjoy using them during play sessions, I find that they help a lot, specialy for new players. However, when needed, the theater of imagination can also work just as well. Specialy for stuff that you have no miniatures for.

Anyway, these are some of my favorites:
Those look really good. I haven't had much luck from the current line up of WizKids. The paint jobs are kind of iffy, at best. I got an amazing efreeti, but the rest are just kind of "meh" for the price.

I like Tyranny of the Dragon, but most of what I want is so high in price that reaper became a substitute, now I just get them by the box every now and then. Just made an order last night.

As far as Wizkids, I've read a lot of the same complaints from others. What you have seems to be a much higher quality, but maybe I've just had some bad luck with the boxes I've bought.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:43 am

Meliboeus wrote:Well we did use graph paper but I think it worked because the DM was very much in charge of situational bonuses and just made rulings based on what made sense in the situation rather than precisely what 3.5E said. We all started on 2E which didn't have rules based around squares so that might have something to do with it too.
Huh, I didn't know that about 2E. A lot of people who have told me that started from either AD&D or 2E so maybe that's the common link here.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:33 am

Hmm we used graph paper for Ad&d but to make maps, not for fighting.

Echohawk

Post by Echohawk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:08 am

My Bahamut, not so mini..
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)