A question

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Diilicious

A question

Post by Diilicious » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:24 am

Is it against the rules to buy things from peoples shop and then sell them in your own shop at a higher price?

I dont know if its happening, but i have a sneaking feeling in my gut that it is happening to me and the thought of it annoys me to no end...
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Re: A question

Post by Morderon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:29 am

No.

If you feel it's happening to you you can rename/describe your merchandise with maker's mark to known for certain and handle the rest IC.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 am

ah good idea. ta very much

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:37 am

Shanna's cupcakes tm
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 am

Imagine it like real world ideals, if people can get something free or exceptionally cheap, nine times outta ten, they will resell it for a higher rate. Its sadly how some people make money.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 am

DarkDreamer wrote:Its sadly how some people make money.
CAPITALISM BABY

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:05 am

Why is there any problem with this at all?

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:36 am

I notice people do it with my shop once in a while, it's great cos it moves the merch :D

Iwanttobethegirlwiththemostcake

Post by Iwanttobethegirlwiththemostcake » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:14 am

As long as I get the price I want for my items, I'm happy. Go ahead and resell them. If you don't like that someone is buying and reselling your stuff, raise your price so that it's not profitable for them.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:52 am

This bothered me when I first realized someone was doing it to me, but then I realized that if my goal is making coin, they're helping me in a pretty good way. They were buying up my entire stock at the price I set, and then selling it in their own shop for something like a 30% markup. Furthermore, they're gonna have to keep buying up my entire stock in order to make their strategy work, because if people come shopping and see my prices and theirs, then the customers would buy mine every time.

Yes I had the option to raise my own prices, but I observed how quickly the goods moved in my shop compared to how long they would sit in the other merchant's shop, and I'm nearly certain that I would be making more money through sheer volume than they would be through higher prices. In the end I decided to keep my prices low and get richer than the other guy.

But yea if your goal is something like to provide cheap healing kits to lowbies then the person doing this is not helping. On the other hand, they are behaving rationally from an econ perspective.

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 am

It makes perfect sense to take advantage of an opportunity in the market when there is one. Your response, say in Lorkas' example, would be to raise prices by about 15-20%. That way you're still the market leader in terms of a low price option, but you're also making a larger margin off the guy who's buying you out.

Keep in mind that if you were willing to set that price to begin with, and someone was willing to buy it at that price, then you've succeeded in what you were trying to do. Whatever happens with your product afterwards is up to the market.

I'd love to know if this happened with your adamantine ingots. Those were some crazy prices!

Red Sunset

Post by Red Sunset » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 am

Also if you find someone is buying up say your cheap attunement potions and reselling you list part of your attunement supply at the cheap price and then another part of it at a higher price that still undercuts the price the relister is selling at. The low priced stuff will move fast and those who just cant wait for you to restock and are willing to pay a higher price will slowly whittle away at your higher priced stocked.

You may have to pay attention. The person buying and reselling might get smart and try to undercut your higher priced portion to attempt to steal that part of the business back. You just undercut again and keep doing that until the price is driven down to what you want it at. Eventually the buying and reselling should stop assuming you can keep a steady supply of goods.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 am

HindianaJones wrote:Why is there any problem with this at all?
I know, it seems like a no brainer, "if your stuff gets sold then whats the big deal?" the problem is more of a roleplay one (it annoys me ooc too but if its allowed then i just have to deal with it).

The Waynolt family has more money than we could ever hope to spend, we had more money than the entire of Bendir not so long ago, So 'making money' at this point isnt why Shanna still keeps a shop open she keeps the shop open to help bendir's economy (as its her home) and to help people get good services without having to sell bodyparts to get them.

but if people are reselling her things for higher prices (again i want to stress that i have no tangible proof that this is happening) then its going against the very reason she has a shop at this point to begin with.

thats why its (potentially) a problem for me :)

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:29 am

If this thread has accomplished nothing else I think it will ensure that the store in question will be visited by those inclined to turn a profit, by flipping merchandise to see if the price are really as low as this thread make them out to be. Such as the implied very low cost of adamentine.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 pm

You'd be in for a shock then

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 pm

I would suggest Shanna simply donates and or sells people to things in person and vets them to insure that they actually need her produce and arn't simply intending to sell it on. Like a real life charity!

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:18 pm

All The Sinners Saints wrote:Such as the implied very low cost of adamentine.
Nah, the adamantine was something like 19 million per ingot, which is what I was calling crazy.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Most settlements have a trade minister.

This sounds like a job for the trade minister

Also thinking, this is like a market strategy, you are undercutting all the stores that -cannot- sell as low as you can. So they assume you do not have Bulk of whatever you are selling and buy it so people visit -their- store instead of yours

I think if the Waynolts want to support an economy they should sell directly to the shop owners, because atm if you are selling cheap stuff everyone will visit the Waynolts and ignore the others which is actually hurting the economy.

This is like Industrial Age America where a few small companies had omgsomuch wealth and would just dirt line prices on things until competition went out of business :P
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Or FMCG markets right now.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:38 pm

What does FMCG mean?

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 pm

For Mostly Chaotic Good, right?

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Fast-moving consumer goods.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Ahh thanks

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:10 am

Maybe just maybe you should rp this.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 pm

this thread was merely my thinking aloud, this hasnt affected my ingame rp, specifically because there isnt any proof this is happening.