Cordor Exiles - no more law breaking RP?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

_Anju1986_

Cordor Exiles - no more law breaking RP?

Post by _Anju1986_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:56 am

"The maximum exile count for Cordor has been reduced, due to its position as the central city of the server. This will likely mean a bit more work for the PC guards, but I feel it should be as inclusive as possible."

So, the guard can't really put people in jail without being called mean, fines don't work for murder for obvious reasons, and we can only exile a specific amount of people. At this rate, people need to stop breaking laws and doing such RP otherwise it's meta gaming knowing we can't exile them, knowing a fine does not fit a mass murder, and knowing we can not lock them up and call it good. The only thing I can think of is extreme deterrent, daily execution, torture, free kill passes, considering we can't take the peaceful rout now after a specific number.

At this rate there is no reason for anyone to obey laws when in Cordor.

Cortex

Re: Cordor Exiles - no more law breaking RP?

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 am

hell ye let the LE guard era begin

summary executions in front of the nomad with gonnes
:)

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:33 am

That's not LE, that's setting appropriate.

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 am

Public executions always felt very LG-LN to me, in an archaic fantasy world proportions. Same goes for cutting people's hands for stealing, cutting people's tongue for insulting the church and hurting the existing order, burning people in the city square. Paladins are capable of such things. TL;DR, this change feels like a direct result of a too modern approach in Cordor, imo.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:42 am

Edgy paladins are my least favorite paladins imo.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:43 am

To be honest, I never quite understood why there was so much resistance to lawful authorities enforcing the law. If you break the law, the Guard will hunt you down and exact punishment.

You cannot dislike this, because it creates an ecosystem where breaking the law and getting away with it is rewarding, rather than whatever it is now.

People need to understand that nothing is fun if you everything you do is accepted with a mild, bland "okay sure."

And I still do not understand why we do not see more executions. States still have capital punishment. Capital punishment in Canada did not end until 1967.

Yet, I could not tell you the last time there was an execution in Cordor.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:50 am

The criminal respawns. Back in the day, executions were generally the fate of legitimate ooc jerkbags, whose characters were then deleted. A couple perma'd villains were killed in this way on purpose, if I remember, to be made heads on pikes at the executioner's stand.

However, this does lead to a system where, you know. The guard decides 'well, we're going to have a big public execution for this criminal.' And the criminal can either respawn, having been publically killed, and resume playing a character in a game that they enjoy, or what, exactly?

Having played guards elsewhere, there's usually a pretty stark line between criminal types: RP and OOC jerks. OOC jerks are easy to deal with. Banish, kill, whatever. RP criminals comes with the extra problem of 'how far' do you let the criminal thing go? They're way more fun to deal with than the people who are just running around pking lowbies or whatever, so immediately grabbing them and saying 'woops gonna massacre you now' always feels a little hollow.

Granted, I didn't play NWN during everyone's 'make stuff grimdark GoT there's no difference between good and bad things actually' phase, so who knows how that works now.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:56 am

Criminals can already respawn and just hang in front of the Nomad and/or bypass the system with bluff.

If they're being unrepentant, consequence-ignoring twits, then file a report.
Last edited by Peppermint on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 am

Yeah. I've always had this weird feeling like the exile system was used in a lot of the same way as just outright reporting people.

Exultate

Post by Exultate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 am

One Two Three Five wrote:The criminal respawns. Back in the day, executions were generally the fate of legitimate ooc jerkbags, whose characters were then deleted. A couple perma'd villains were killed in this way on purpose, if I remember, to be made heads on pikes at the executioner's stand.

However, this does lead to a system where, you know. The guard decides 'well, we're going to have a big public execution for this criminal.' And the criminal can either respawn, having been publically killed, and resume playing a character in a game that they enjoy, or what, exactly?
This is the big issue I have with it as well. Why bother holding an IC execution when some time after (depending on how willing the executed player is to play along) they're just going to be walking around again regardless? It just kind of waves about the fact that it's hard to do anything gritty and dark on a server where you pop back to life with 2 OOC hours of raise sickness and a loss of 500 XP.
Shadowy Reality wrote:Why can't new characters be mathematically inferior to old ones?
Flameborn wrote:You need to show more respect for your fellow players. Such a toxic attitude is terrible.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:02 am

I mean, I'm not a fan of gritty and dark in general, but I see the point. I've always felt that if you find someone willing to play along with executions and whatnot, you're probably better served with a longer Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd relationship than 'grab, execute' though. Because being a guard and dealing with the Bugs Bunnys the same as the level 2 half-orc 20 strength greataxe fighters gets boring fast, for everyone.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 am

Not every guard wants to be assed dealing with 'hahah im such a funny clever villain' for the tenth time in an ig day. Being more brutal with how they handle it avoids that kind of behavior.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:04 am

I'm bring back the jail times. Players have alts for a reason.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:08 am

Cortex wrote:Not every guard wants to be assed dealing with 'hahah im such a funny clever villain' for the tenth time in an ig day. Being more brutal with how they handle it avoids that kind of behavior.
Oh, sure. It's a balance, like everything else. Mostly depends on the specific guard pc though, doesn't it? I've had guards that were just there for the paycheck and sort of scooooooted on somewhere quieter when the Dark King of IGMS decided to roll into town, I've had guards that would flaunt the law by torturing/murdering people... I can see why non-brutal-characters might get frustrating, but there's certain things that are just part of playing a character with a specific ideal set.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 am

_Anju1986_ wrote:At this rate, people need to stop breaking laws and doing such RP otherwise it's meta gaming knowing we can't exile them, knowing a fine does not fit a mass murder, and knowing we can not lock them up and call it good. The only thing I can think of is extreme deterrent, daily execution, torture, free kill passes, considering we can't take the peaceful rout now after a specific number.

At this rate there is no reason for anyone to obey laws when in Cordor.
We've done quite well with the exiles we have now. We have maybe three or four that need to remain constant, and the others oscillate depending on who is committing what crime. It requires us to keep up to date with it. Other exiles we just don't mechanically enforce. But yes, the "extreme deterrents" you mentioned are more setting-appropriate. Not even lawful evil in some cases, such as execution. It's one we've used for a while. Torture was routinely used in many old Kingdoms/Empires throughout history.

Speaking as a player who currently plays a Guard, I can say that I much prefer doing things in this new system where we can't just blanket-exile people and call it a day. It does, admittedly, require Guard characters to actually be able to mechanically enforce the laws, but I don't really have an issue with that. It's realistic.

DarkDreamer wrote:I'm bring back the jail times. Players have alts for a reason.
I don't like this mentality, myself. It detracts from interactive Roleplay and, in some ways, violates the Be Nice rule. Some players don't have alts, and prefer not to make or play them while they have their single main character. Forcing them to basically abandon the game isn't really a power that should be used.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:16 am

I think the issue always has been how ready many are to fight the guards over the littlest things like a helmet. Many have never really feared punishment in cordor, exile or not.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:31 am

"I don't like this mentality, myself. It detracts from interactive Roleplay and, in some ways, violates the Be Nice rule. Some players don't have alts, and prefer not to make or play them while they have their single main character. Forcing them to basically abandon the game isn't really a power that should be used."

Im sorry, but if you don't wanna risk having to pay the sentence, don't play a criminal character. Common sense.

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:36 am

I ~want~ to see the first guy who would argue over a helmet with a bunch of angry guards and NPCs if their character actually feared death. It's the root of many problems in the spirit of the server in current days where death doesn't mean anything on an IC level (unfortunately).

I kinda like the title of this thread. The op has a point saying law breaking acts are in danger of becoming a meta-game since the guards don't have any appropriate way to react. Execution aint so scary either.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 am

Uh, no? That's kind of a terrible attitude to have toward other players. They're not playing a criminal character to hurt you as a person, why would you do the same?
It's the root of many problems in the spirit of the server in current days where death doesn't mean anything on an IC level
I've been hearing this since 2005 on every server I've ever played including this one, regardless of if the consequences of death was literally nothing, to actual permadeath.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:39 am

@darkdreamer
If there are no criminals, then have fun on guard RP. IC punishments that do nothing but end fun for criminal characters, some of the players of which are doing it in large part to make fun for players of guard characters, are a terrible idea and not in the spirit of the server.

Character actions that are within the server rules should have character consequences, not player punishments like the ban-lite of jail time without RP happening during the incarceration.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:45 am

Let's replace a few words in what you said dark dreamer.
I'm sorry, but if you don't wanna risk being killbashed by villains, don't play a good guy. Common sense.
It's just some exp and a few hours to recover, people have alt for a reasons, right?

Song of Storms

Post by Song of Storms » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 am

Well... Speaking as a previously exiled Warlock. Pariah status exists for a reason. The criminal wants to stir up trouble every time they show up? They can be put down everytime they start it. Yes I already see this being a 24 hour rule issue. But in this case wouldn't it be the fault of the criminal coming back?

Also... It's not like the guards would have to watch the cells. I'm pretty sure "clever" criminals know a secret or two that might get them back out sooner than their sentence.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 am

Sorry Cortex, have had that a great number of times to my goodly characters, and got that exact response.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:07 am

Two wrongs don't make one right. Arguably jailing is even worse because they don't have the option to "respawn" out of jail, they depend entirely on you or another guard to get out.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:10 am

Actually....as stated there IS a way out of jail, but thats FOIG information.