NWN2

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ArcanaFTW

NWN2

Post by ArcanaFTW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 pm

So I found an old copy of NWN2, and I'm gonna give it a whirl. What should I expect? Are there any good RP communities around there? Fill me with the details, guys and gals, I'm pumped.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: NWN2

Post by P Three » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:08 pm

There's like....two decent servers. I didn't honestly like it. I didn't like the mechanics, and the RP on the servers was...middling at best.

My two cents.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 pm

It's been a long while since I played, but my impression was the following:

The single player game was pretty good, I enjoyed it and the graphics are gratly improved. The story is good too.

The multiplayer aspect isn't so great. it's not -awful- per see, bits of it are rather good. But for the most part it's very lackluster compared to NWN. So - by all means play it, if only for it's single player aspect but dont' expect too much out of the multiplayer aspect

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 am

I felt NWN2 was clunky, the character animations also put me off, and for some reason I had a bug where the sky always looked like colorful white noise. Never played online because I couldn't connect. I think the "complexity" given to NWN2 would only hinder actual creation and freedom, which NWN1 has.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:24 am

IndifferentPerson wrote:I felt NWN2 was clunky, the character animations also put me off, and for some reason I had a bug where the sky always looked like colorful white noise. Never played online because I couldn't connect. I think the "complexity" given to NWN2 would only hinder actual creation and freedom, which NWN1 has.

This is pretty much why there are so few servers. They got rid of the Aurora toolset and made something...horrible in its place.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

InTheFlesh

Post by InTheFlesh » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:27 am

I agree with much of what was said above, but I would like to emphasize that the expansion Mask of the Betrayer is a genuinely good story and involves some very interesting companions. In a way it's a spiritual successor to the storytelling of Planescape: Torment.

Urch

Post by Urch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:59 am

Despite the fact I could hardly play NWN due to such clunky interface and camera, I still enjoyed Storm of Zehir immensely (especially with extra races. Running around with four ogres is hilarious).

I remember once trying the Baldur's Gate PW server on Nwn 2. It was a lag fest and I never returned. The server itself though seemed quite cool. Just unplayable for myself. Might be different for players outside of Oceania though.

To me though I consider NWN 2 as a tech demo for a new engine. The same engine that, upon being updated, came to create great games like Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 pm

A shame that NWN1 and Aurora were not enhanced through the time by Byoware :_(

Shame shame shame shame shame...

But hey! Here we are!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 am

What is a greater pity is that Obsidian did not learn how to make a great Single player campaign game and an online system the way Bioware did for NWN 1.

OH there are a lot of things I like about NWN2, including the voice acting and chars in the campaign. But there is sooo much that I found frustrating with it that I cannot reccomend it. There are a lot of other old RPGs out there that are far far better spending time and money on that NWN2, many of which are older.

It isn't a bad game, it's a mediocre one. Which in my eyes makes it not worth it.

Sanctus57
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sanctus57 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Taking the cue from Black Wendigo above, I would definitely recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions. If you've never played them, suffice to say that they are 16 years old but are so timeless in their excellence that their new "Enhanced Edition" release saw 40 reviews from big names like IGN and Gamespot, and was very much a financial success. I'm playing it right now and, though the graphics are dated, (as is Advanced D&D which it is based on), in my opinion it is simply the pinnacle of the RPG genre. There's multi-player, but it's not like Arelith, it's playing co-op in the story campaign - the best story campaign I've ever encountered in a game.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Sanctus57 wrote:Taking the cue from Black Wendigo above, I would definitely recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions. If you've never played them, suffice to say that they are 16 years old but are so timeless in their excellence that their new "Enhanced Edition" release saw 40 reviews from big names like IGN and Gamespot, and was very much a financial success. I'm playing it right now and, though the graphics are dated, (as is Advanced D&D which it is based on), in my opinion it is simply the pinnacle of the RPG genre. There's multi-player, but it's not like Arelith, it's playing co-op in the story campaign - the best story campaign I've ever encountered in a game.
I'm assuming the remakes were made for PC? I never had a chance to play them, which is a shame.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Manabi wrote:
Sanctus57 wrote:Taking the cue from Black Wendigo above, I would definitely recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions. If you've never played them, suffice to say that they are 16 years old but are so timeless in their excellence that their new "Enhanced Edition" release saw 40 reviews from big names like IGN and Gamespot, and was very much a financial success. I'm playing it right now and, though the graphics are dated, (as is Advanced D&D which it is based on), in my opinion it is simply the pinnacle of the RPG genre. There's multi-player, but it's not like Arelith, it's playing co-op in the story campaign - the best story campaign I've ever encountered in a game.
I'm assuming the remakes were made for PC? I never had a chance to play them, which is a shame.
By far, the BEST RP game I played in PC (in modo solo) anytime... Highly recomended!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes the enhanced editions of BG 1 and 2 are for PC. BTW the enhanced editions are not remakes. They are the same game with what amounts to modded extra things.

Another game from that era I still play now and then is Wizardry 8 (circa 2001). I liked the Wizardry games in general, but this the last one is closest in comparison to NWN2.

I also like Ultima 9, though I recommend playing the final remastered version and not the out of the box one I bought. I never had issues with it, but its initial release did not go over well with a lot of players. Many will hate me for liking it, but I maintain its a good game. Only thing is, if you have never played an Ultima game or are not familiar with some of its lore, it may not be the game for you.

I also still enjoy Might and Magic 6-8, more excellent rpgs not based on D and D.

If you get a chance to play NWN2 without actually buying it, by all means give it a shot and form your own opinion. I and many others don't like it but many do. It was kinda controversial when it was released and ther was a lot of mixed reactions.

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 pm

I played a bit of the campaign, and although it all seemed well at the start, I knew where it was headed at when..

"Oh look, my CE Cleric of Lolth foster-son, would you like to go to the harvest and frolic?"

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:20 am

You can catch it on sale on GOG.com pretty often. I'd say it's worth throwing five bucks at, but probably not ten.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:40 am

P Three wrote:There's like....two decent servers. I didn't honestly like it. I didn't like the mechanics, and the RP on the servers was...middling at best.

My two cents.

I didn't even make it to multi-player, I disliked the actual game that much.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat