Runic property on procedural loot

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

QuestionGuy

Runic property on procedural loot

Post by QuestionGuy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Hello everyone, I just wanted to create a place for people to ask questions, suggest ideas, clarifications, or anything else relating directly to this particular update. I imagine it's an exciting one for quite a few people.

EDIT: Links: Update and Procedural Loot
Scholar Midnight wrote:Update 24/03/2017:

Procedural items now have a chance to spawn with the runic property. The runic property improves the success of next property to be enchanted on an item based on the following rules:

Skill Focus: Enchantment: +33% success rate.
Greater Skill Focus: Enchantment: +66% success rate.
Epic Skill Focus: Enchantment: +100% success rate.

You can tell this property is active on an item in a few ways. First, the name of the item will be coloured blue. Second, extra text will be visible at the bottom of the item's description, explaining that the item is now more enchantable than normal, and specifying which type of enchanter is required to take advantage of the runic nature of the item.
Last edited by QuestionGuy on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM me the questions you don't want to ask out loud. No Judgements made, completely anonymous.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Runic property on procedural loot

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm really afraid of this. Soon we'll be seeing +1 Stat or +1 Uni on the typical 2 Stat/3Skill items which can lead to quite a powercreep.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:33 pm

hell ye
:)

My decency

Post by My decency » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Tbh this gets enchanters to stop looking at the noose.
Elizabeth 'Jezebel' Kingsley
Yesthyra 'Yessy' Rosewillow
Alais Kingsley
Hunter548 wrote:Sun elves are culturally evil by any standard that isnt slobbing corellons knob

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:I'm really afraid of this. Soon we'll be seeing +1 Stat or +1 Uni on the typical 2 Stat/3Skill items which can lead to quite a powercreep.
Runic spawn rate scales negatively with item value, so runic epic gear is going to be extraordinarily rare.

For reference, I simulated opening 10,000 high CR chests ...

- 2 runic items of the 120 listed below.
- 120 items over the value of 9000.
- 67 items over the value of 10000.
- 30 items over the value of 11000. (epic gear)

Exultate

Post by Exultate » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote: Runic spawn rate scales negatively with item value, so runic epic gear is going to be extraordinarily rare.

- 2 runic items.
I was on board until this (I'm in the ardent "Arelith gear needs to be higher magic" camp, I will readily admit). This feels kind of like "Artefacts Part 2: Slightly less RNG Edition". That said, it's still a step in a direction I'm very fond of, so good update overall.
Shadowy Reality wrote:Why can't new characters be mathematically inferior to old ones?
Flameborn wrote:You need to show more respect for your fellow players. Such a toxic attitude is terrible.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm

I think it will create a power creep, but it'll be a very slow one which will give time to adapt.
You gotta remember that first an item of equal quality to the standard "end game enchanted gear" of two +1stat and four +2skill, where the stats and skills have to suit the character exactly, will have to be found AND have the runic quality on it before we see items better than the current "end game enchanted gear".
Pretty certain the odds of this is likely going to be either rarer or just as rare as finding a suitable Artefact.
Over all I welcome this change, but a bit tentatively, it's a matter of the numbers. So long as the numbers are well thought out and balanced then we aren't going to see an influx of over powered gear any time soon.
At best I think this will create a few more options for low to mid level characters to find some half decent gear to bring them into the "end game" and get them ready for such. Which as far as i'm concerned is a welcome change.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:I'm really afraid of this. Soon we'll be seeing +1 Stat or +1 Uni on the typical 2 Stat/3Skill items which can lead to quite a powercreep.
I don't see this as doing anything but making more/ more varied builds viable. A WM, or barbarian, or whatever doesn't get a huge amount from this (compared to other builds) because after strength/con, they really only care about saves, and you could already make sizable efforts on the save front.

Conversely, a paladin, or a cha battlecleric, or rogue-type can now add con (or saves for a rogue, who can't take save feats like a wm can) to their gear, solving a problem they had with being too squishy, without sacrificing melee ability to an intollerable degree. They can spend a substantial amount of time, effort, and money to do this, from the sounds of things. That sounds great to me.

A WM type can use this to really shore up their saves, sure, but it's not as huge a return for them.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote:
Runic spawn rate scales negatively with item value, so runic epic gear is going to be extraordinarily rare.

Only 2 runic items, or 2 blank runic items, were the other items also runic?

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Cortex wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:

Only 2 runic items, or 2 blank runic items, were the other items also runic?
2 runic items out of the 120 items that exceeded the value of 9000. There were 500 runic items that spawned in total. This was from high CR chests, so from low CR chests the results would be very different.

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 pm

It'll be mostly useless unless you're lucky enough to find a both a highly stated piece of loot with the runic property set to a race that has enchanters (Ala: Human and Elf being the most popular two) and are out of luck if it is a race where there are no enchanters of that race.

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Not really, as it'll make otherwise useless items useful once you find an enchanter. Those gauntlets for example wouldn't do much good for an epic, but if you can add +1 strength to it for free (read: no chance of failure) they suddenly become good.

Mouthy Expert

Post by Mouthy Expert » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Roland Asen stumbles across a fantastic piece of loot, reads the description, and just starts screaming at the top of his lungs.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:39 pm

thatd be assuming roland goes adventuring

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Trunx wrote:Not really, as it'll make otherwise useless items useful once you find an enchanter. Those gauntlets for example wouldn't do much good for an epic, but if you can add +1 strength to it for free (read: no chance of failure) they suddenly become good.
Or, get a non-dwarf to add strength, then a dwarf to add universal saves.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 pm

How is the % boost calculated? So say it would be 5% normally, with an Epic Enchanter does it become 10%? (+100% chance), or does it become 100% chance?

Edit: Also good luck if you find one that needs a Half Orc enchanter?

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:05 am

I'll be laughing greatly if somebody finds out a rune that needs to find a goblin enchanter.

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 am

AnselHoenheim wrote:I'll be laughing greatly if somebody finds out a rune that needs to find a goblin enchanter.
Pretty sure Goblins and Kobolds count as Halflings. That is how it is for Favored Enemy for Rangers

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:33 am

So... Deep Imaskari & Hobgoblins needs to find a Half-Elf enchanter? Seems a bit odd to me.

-Tialirr-

Post by -Tialirr- » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:37 am

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:How is the % boost calculated? So say it would be 5% normally, with an Epic Enchanter does it become 10%? (+100% chance), or does it become 100% chance?

Edit: Also good luck if you find one that needs a Half Orc enchanter?
Also curious about this. But since it says +100%, it should be 10% for an enchantment that is normally 5%.

However, I wonder how it affects enchantments that have a 0% chance based on value, which still gives you 5% but with no chance of god save. Will that now give 10% and the potential for godsave?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:43 am

I feel like it's literally a flat +whatever? I sure hope so.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 am

AnselHoenheim wrote:I'll be laughing greatly if somebody finds out a rune that needs to find a goblin enchanter.
I know 2 of the top of my head :)

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:34 am

+1 STR
+1 CON
+2 Disc
+2 Spellcraft
+2 Heal
+2 Taunt

This is a runic item. It is possible for half-elven enchanters to improve this item more easily.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:32 am

ask roland to enchant it
UilliamNebel wrote:

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:55 am

ActionReplay wrote:So... Deep Imaskari & Hobgoblins needs to find a Half-Elf enchanter? Seems a bit odd to me.
Probably it'll be the case until an update with the actual racial types kicks in.
(IE: kobolds stop being halflings and become reptilians).
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!