Recent enchantment changes

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

miesny_jez

Recent enchantment changes

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:27 pm

- Skill enchantments via the basin are now restricted. Spell Focus - Enchantment is required to add +1 bonses, and GSF plus level 15 is required for +2.

= The skills Heal and Appraise removed from the list of options.
Well now... this is rather a very big change affecting literally every character on the server.

Am I reading it right?.. Does it mean that a character without SF and GSF:Enchant will be essentially unable to enchant anything beyond One or Two (if You are lucky) +1 Ability ?
= The skills Heal (..) removed from the list of options.
Good my main is a caster who doesn't need to concern herself with heal packs, but low level melees will really feel this one

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Recent enchantment changes

Post by DarkDreamer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:33 pm

I personally dont like the changes to the tiers of enchanting. While I agree that Enchanters SHOULD get a bonus...I do not like how this was addressed personally.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Finally! Skill bonus on enchantment was truthfully silly. And destabilizing towards skills like open lock, spot & disguise skills.
Last edited by Ork on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meliboeus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Meliboeus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm with Ork. This is a very sensible change.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 pm

This is painful now, but I can see why it was done. There needs to be a real difference between what a dedicated enchanter can produce and what a magic-illiterate peasant can produce, and it's less damaging to the server to adjust non-enchanters' abilities downwards than it is to adjust enchanters upwards, to avoid further power creep.

This is not the end of the economy/item adjustments on the server, I'm sure, so hopefully we'll see more options for gaining skill boosts in the updates to come.

Flameborn

Post by Flameborn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 pm

(Nevermind, I misunderstood the change)
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Flameborn wrote:I foresee the 3 people on the server that still do enchanting to turn into 0.
The three people that have the monopoly on providing cheap +2 skill gear for every new character made from now on? Why would they stop when they've just cornered the market?

Quoth

Post by Quoth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Now I didn't noticed the heal removal and do feel that's a heavy hit to be removed completely from the list of skill options especially to Kensai's who have no other source of healing which is the only real thing I don't like about this change.

Enchanting or rather enchanters did need a noticeable gap between them and those that haven't got those feats whether by increasing their skill or decreasing everyone else's all it means it you need to find an enchanter to make your gear now instead of being able to just gold and xp dump it until it works out which is an improvement.

Flameborn

Post by Flameborn » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Now please buff enchanting for enchanters, they are already the rarest thing to try and find on the server.
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

So... what's the reasoning behind the removal of Heal from skill enchants?

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Fine with the rest. But heal? Nnnnh. Yes, heal from gear is a small amount, but given kensai as stated, or those of us who are not Optimal, this is no bueno
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm

This change will hopefully make it more attractive to be a low lvl enchanter since you you only need lvl 15. More low lvl enchanters should hopefully produce more epic enchanters.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Healer clerics. (Also druids, bards, paladins..)
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Enchanting needs more boosts with the new loot system when things like this now drop

This is an end item for many epic characters (not necessarily this array, but the 4x skills 2x stats). I get that you can farm for a long time and not get a perfect array for your character, so that's where Enchanters have a niche. But I've always been of the opinion the best x (gear, consumables whatever) should be player-made.

I get why Appraise was removed but why Heal? Already potions of Heal have been nerfed. G-Restoration has a cooldown. Other healing potions are pretty worthless.

I think the first step to really boosting Enchanting is to remove the exp cost. You'll find more people willing to enchant until they get their God-save then. IMO the loss of the gold and item is enough consequences for the risk.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 pm

I say we blame Iceborn for heal being removed from enchanting!

/healkitspam

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

It probably has to do with heal kit spam and party composition? (Maybe epic enchanters will get those missing skills back once everything settles?)
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Couple of bits of insight from myself.

First off, this is the last big 'surprise' change in the economy updates, and naturally I couldn't let it be known beforehand. I wanted this to go live at the same time as procedural loot, but in the end there was a delay. Because procedural loot is effectively going to be infinitely spawned I'm not yet sure how the server will look in a few weeks/months time.

For enchanters I hope that this would be a boon, because many of these items would be ripe for further enchanting, though i the case of that item screenshotted above, it is definitely an 'end game' item, and I can see how it is not something to be enchanted. I've a lot of faith in Midnight to get the numbers right here, and so I expect not to see mid level characters fully equipped with items of this kind, and many more going cheap in every PC shop.

As for heal; removing it entirely was not our intention, but rather limiting it to +1 bonuses only. In the end making such an exception for this skill proved difficult, as a result I'll be adding more heal specific loot drops and craftables.

Obviously I knew this change to skill enchantment would be less than popular with some people, and we didn't take the decision lightly. It was a planned part of the economic update since the start.

Removing/reducing the XP cost for enchantment I also think makes a great deal of sense, and we'll likely see some movement there in the coming days.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Will wand and scroll costs be altered as well, on the subject of xp?
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Skibbles wrote:Will wand and scroll costs be altered as well, on the subject of xp?
I don't think they should, as there is no chance of failure. With enchanting there is failure and exp cost, making it a double hit.

Without an exp cost, Wands/Potions/Scrolls will be a simple exchange of gold for more gold. I think the exp cost has to stay else they would have no real drawback to making.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Most of the skills are fine as restricted, but I'm concerned with how this will affect the low level (or low access) viability of Parry users. You really need that skill boost to have even a small chance of riposting at low levels.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Making enchanters better, changes to heal and appraise. I enjoy these changes. Sometimes things are just too good and it will be harder. An increase in difficulty isn't bad.

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:36 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:Most of the skills are fine as restricted, but I'm concerned with how this will affect the low level (or low access) viability of Parry users. You really need that skill boost to have even a small chance of riposting at low levels.

Concentration for combat casting is also effected
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 pm

As a player of an enchanter character .. I have mixed feelings about it.

From one side I am happy with this change and I think its a good idea. Mundane characters should have no knowledge how to place magical runes on items, in fact even two days ago I was doing some minor enchanting on my Kensai Ogre character.. and during the whole process.. I realized how stupid and out of character this is.
On a server with population of Arelith it should work very well.. on FL it would never workout.

From the other side.. I am concerned that my character will be now overstuffed with enchanting work. Due to my limited playtime I barely scrap out 500 - 2000 xp per RL day of playing. And those enchanting attempts do add up very quickly.
The other thing I am concerned with is that it will make everyone more interested in grinding out the perfect gear instead with the procedural itemization and drops like Count showed.

I still think the golden solution would be to have base gear crafted/dropped and enchanters/specialized characters required to achieve the end-type items.

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:07 pm

miesny_jez wrote:
I still think the golden solution would be to have base gear crafted/dropped and enchanters/specialized characters required to achieve the end-type items.
That's more or less how it is right now. You can enchant more powerful stuff than you can get dropped.

My decency

Post by My decency » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Trunx wrote:
miesny_jez wrote:
That's more or less how it is right now. You can enchant more powerful stuff than you can get dropped.
I hate to be the naysayer here...but not really? You can get 2stat/4skill gear quite often just from drops. Slap on a protective essence and BAM! You've got 5% gear. Granted, you can godsave on it if you have epic spell focus in enchanting...but to say you can enchant more powerful stuff than drops now, with the procedural loot system is just incorrect. You just have about the same chances of enchanting it to finding it.
Elizabeth 'Jezebel' Kingsley
Yesthyra 'Yessy' Rosewillow
Alais Kingsley
Hunter548 wrote:Sun elves are culturally evil by any standard that isnt slobbing corellons knob