Golems Discussion: How To Make Them Useful vs. Conjuration

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

High Primate

Re: Golems Discussion: How To Make Them Useful vs. Conjurati

Post by High Primate » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:41 pm

(Note that I did not read the replies to the original post)

In a suggestion I posted a while back, I suggested adding new crafting recipes for very powerful items but with extremely high DCs and a lot of points needed to finish them, such that someone with the maxed out trade skill would still have to roll high to craft them and take a long time to finish them. I suggested adamantine golems as a possible example. I humbly re-submit that suggestion here.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Yellena wrote:Treants/Animated Tress was put in as a way for nature characters to have an ally too. Living Tree would be a better naming.
That'd be kinda fishy though, because you'd have a bunch of golemcrafters who have nothing to do with nature making animated trees/treants and going around making them do things at their own behest.

The ability to wake treants would be cool, but would make more sense to be locked behind druids and/or nature domain clerics rather than transmutation.

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Give the owner the ability to add the golem to the character's quarter's chest. I imagine it as you get a wand you can then use on the Golem and the chest connecting the two. The Golem will then disappear (Or become part of the decor of the quarter to not make the golem too obvious) and if someone tries to take from the chest that isn't the owner --> Golem Pummel Time.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:19 pm

Nitro wrote:
Yellena wrote:
The ability to wake treants would be cool, but would make more sense to be locked behind druids and/or nature domain clerics rather than transmutation.
That was the idea. The exception being the Greenfingers Gift. Need to be a transmuter Druid/Ranger/Cleric/Greenfinger to make them AND a transmuter Druid/Ranger/Cleric/Greenfinger to USE them.
:D

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I'd love to see small golems with more tactical abilities, auras or somesuch.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:36 pm

It would be nice if there were some nature-themed golems. Mechanically speaking, out of all the spellcasting classes, druids are the most viable to take transmutation focuses with (drown, spike growth, etc). This has always meant, paradoxically, the class best suited for creating golems have been druids.

iria_huntress
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Post by iria_huntress » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Golems are useful because anyone~ can use them. Even a kensai or true fire. They are only inferior to a particular type of caster.

That being said...yeah. Iron golems I think should have a "huge iron golem" variant that is immune to evocation and has DR, like the vanilla ones. Things of that nature would~ be neat!

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26 am

iria_huntress wrote:Golems are useful because anyone~ can use them. Even a kensai or true fire. They are only inferior to a particular type of caster.

That being said...yeah. Iron golems I think should have a "huge iron golem" variant that is immune to evocation and has DR, like the vanilla ones. Things of that nature would~ be neat!
Its its been pointed out, the only golem that is truly worth the effort to build them is the stone golem, and their usefulness runs out around level 20 - 22. Bone and Iron golems get destroyed very easily.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Capt.shadow

Post by Capt.shadow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:49 am

throwing in my thoughts here randomly.

i have had stone,iron and honestly OP would be right, sure the stone golem is a tank and has plenty of health but go anywhere past the slime temple and most mobs will beat a golem down, infact i lost one stone to two drider soldiers it was warded with all the normal buffs, same with iron one in a (1v1) fight with a wyvvrn it lost, acutaly lost two iron to walvyyrns each pretty much one on one fights.

honestly if golems your enemie and you know it a gonne would mesh it up in two rounds if your first miss fires. i honestly have never seen stone or iron as a threat just a rp tool.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:31 pm

If golems could actually be used below level 15 they'd be a bit more useful as they are right now, even the weaker ones could be useful in most 1-15 dungeons.

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:23 pm

It'd be neat if you could build a golem suit. You could drive them around and have stompy robot fights in the arena.

Flameborn

Post by Flameborn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Ambigue wrote:It'd be neat if you could build a golem suit. You could drive them around and have stompy robot fights in the arena.
Shapechange scrolls.
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Flameborn wrote:Shapechange scrolls.
How is my character going to his lifelong dream of being a junior GolemJox (tm) mechanic if folks can just summon one the elememental Plane of Golems using a scroll?

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:08 pm

Ambigue, you missed 9 years of Erik Silverams Paladin Golem Mount RP featuring the infamous Blood Golem of Zeer, modified to "GAUNT-AM (tm): GAUNTlet sapphire summoned giant Armored Mount," featuring classic attack moves such as "Divine Might Puuuunch!" And the unforgettable finisher, "Mega Great Smite Crusher PUNCH!!!"(tm)

But, don't worry! Daltanius has found the arcane/mechanical summoning sapphire of his great grandfather in Benwick (https://youtu.be/NF8maK9W84A) and has successfully enhanced his paladin horse, Silverlake. Now the latest Silverarms can COMBINE with his mount AND pilot DIVINE GOLEM KNIGHT: MECHE-VALIER!!! (TM) (https://youtu.be/ITYtEFf0cBc)

I'm sure he'd need a good ye olde mechanic to develop new maneuvers and ultimate techniques for his super rob... golem mount!
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm glad we're posting youtube links about golem mounts instead of addressing the topic of the thread

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm

gilescorey wrote:I'm glad we're posting youtube links about golem mounts instead of addressing the topic of the thread
Sorry. We detracted from a meaningful and fruitful conversation.

EDIT: I mean this without sarcasm, in case this wasn't clear.