NEW!! Thieves Guild.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Orian_666

NEW!! Thieves Guild.

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 am

So. I made a character with the express intent of them being a thief. Not necessarily an "evil" one, more like a kind of Robin Hood character, but he steals from the rich and keeps for himself. He has a certain code that he follows and it's pretty flexible, but that's neither here nor there.

What i'm getting at is that i've searched extensively for a proper thieves guild faction IG and as far as I can tell a proper one just doesn't exist at the moment. (If I am wrong then by all means contact me so I can get involved)
So, I have decided to take it upon myself to make one. It'll be based out of Cordor but will likely hit up places across the server. It will be a neutral styled thieves guild but evils and "goods" are welcome.
The main purpose is to, obviously, steal things but to make it fun for the person that had their item stolen. Clues will be left, a calling card of sorts so they know it was us, they'll have the opportunity to pay for it's return, and much more.

There are a few rules that will be involved, but those will be made clear in game, a few simple examples are:
-We don't steal from the poor or needy.
-We don't steal from other "professionals".
-We don't steal from our friends and allies.
-And we don't do anything that would aid in another persons slavery (Stealing a persons freedom is basically the line that won't be crossed).

If anyone has a rogue/thief like character that they want to bring into the fold, be shown the ropes on all the best places to steal loot from in Cordor (Yes, it actually has a pretty extensive and varied amount of NPC targets/locations for theft RP), and to become a part of something great, then send me a PM here on the forums and we can organise a meet up in game to get the ball rolling!!

Any questions by all means post them here, much will remain IC so certain things may not be able to be answered here though.

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: NEW!! Thieves Guild.

Post by Zaravella » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 am

Will you accept an evil goblin? ;)
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:42 am

I'm not ready for a new character, but I would love for this to go ahead.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 am

Zaravella wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 am
Having Underdarkers is something i'd be fine with. Keep in mind it'd mostly be run out of Cordor but the way I plan on having it set up doesn't restrict who can be a member, may be a little limited in a handful of activities but no less than my surfacer would be in underdark activies :D

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 am

Orian_666 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 am
Zaravella wrote:
Having Underdarkers is something i'd be fine with. Keep in mind it'd mostly be run out of Cordor but the way I plan on having it set up doesn't restrict who can be a member, may be a little limited in a handful of activities but no less than my surfacer would be in underdark activies :D

Ooohhhh now... I have to device a plan.. on how to contact this guild with my little goblin toon! YAY Adventure! ;) We shall see....

Or maybe Ill make a new toon altogether. Either way please consider me very interested.. Ive been waiting for a thieves guild on the surface... to make my rogue toon.. I even have an eccentric build 8n mind ha! Also ill speak to several people whom i know will be interested in joining. :-)
Last edited by Zaravella on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am

Zaravella wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 am
Orian_666 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 am
Zaravella wrote:

Ooohhhh now... I have to device a plan.. on how to contact this guild with my little goblin toon! YAY Adventure! ;) We shall see....

Or maybe Ill make a new toon altogether. Either way please cinsider me a shoo-in.. Ive been waiting for a neutral thieves guild on the surface... and also ill speak to several people whom i know will be interested in joining. :-)
That'd be amazing, thank you :D

As for how to get the foot in the door, think of the obvious place IG for Thieves to contact each other and look for my message there ;)

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:11 am

Yaaayyy scavenger hunt!!!!!! (Sry editing typos cuz phone typing suxx)
-Honore de Balzac-

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:41 pm

There've been thieves guilds that have come and gone over the years. There was the Fool's Clover, and at one point there was a guild in Shadow Cordor led by a Vhaeraunite drow. It would be nice if the devs added something that encouraged a guild to exist--there's already a piracy guild and an assassin's guild that are mechanically supported. A thieves guild would be neat, too.

I think part of the disincentive is that there is just not much for thieves to do, since most quarters cannot be broken into. This might be something to look into. Maybe make it so that, if more than one person with ranks in Open Lock is present, they add their skill bonus together in some way. This allows for breaking into quarters in a way that encourages faction roleplay.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:08 pm

A couple good places exist in game for self-made thieves guild. Only problem i see is the same problem the tower of Sharr has. Which is if you go there, you will likely be outted.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Yea, I do agree there's not a lot of incentive right now for it. Apart from Cordor there's not a whole load of PvE ways to RP a thief, and breaking into a quarter is so difficult it's rarely worth the effort.
I definitely would like to see some sort of Thieves Guild mechanically supported beyond what we have now, as Cerk said it's easy to get outed (which is why I don't want this attempt to have a single specific location that they work out of).
As for activities? It's mostly meant to be a side thing for thief like characters, my own currently works for another faction and has applied to one more. There's enough out there and with some creative RP and the odd thiefly DM input here and there I hope to make it relatively interesting. But time will tell and we'll see how it goes :)

It could be argued that there's no point for an official thieves guild to be added because there's not a lot of that RP, but I'd go so far as to claim there's not a lot of that RP because it's not strongly supported mechanically ;) Pirate RP was sporadic and relatively rare until that became supported =p

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 am

Dr. B wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:41 pm
[snip]
... Maybe make it so that, if more than one person with ranks in Open Lock is present, they add their skill bonus together in some way. This allows for breaking into quarters in a way that encourages faction roleplay.
hold on, i'll need to get my popcorn and butter ready for the discussion on that suggestion. i like it salty, too, but there should be plenty

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Yea not sure i'd be a fan of a shared lockpicking skill like that.

Personally id like to see mechanically supported thievery, for example:

Join a thieves guild, much like the many other guilds out there, work your way up the ranks by performing theft jobs, NPC supported heists where you can steal "valuables" from designated NPC homes (higher quality homes come with guards and traps etc etc but better loot for faster ranking) that you then sell to a fence, can do 1 heist every RL day, the more you do the faster you "rank up".
On top of that too, and only at around the middle rank with the thieves guild (so no fresh rogues constantly stealing shit), you can now get an item from a thieves guild NPC, a special lock pick, you can only get this once every RL week. What it does is allow you to "break into" a PC house, the current protective system is replaced by this and NPC houses can only be entered this way (option for extra security measures to be put in place vs thieves, such as NPC guards that spawn only when this lockpick is used, traps that are placed and only "activate" when this lockpick is used, etc etc I leave the rest to your imagination).
And the chests in PC houses now mechanically only allow you to take 1 item out of it if you don't own it but are a thief, and depending on your thief rank it's limited by the value of that item, lower ranked thieves wouldn't be brave enough to take more expensive items because of the heat they carry (value being something we can now see on everything we inspect).
On top of all this a "clue" will be left, much like blood spill, tracks, or broken fixtures, that can be inspected for detailed information about the theft. Date, time, character details etc etc. How much you learn is governed by certain skills (not sure which ones would work best) and how much info you "leave behind" is also governed by your rogue skills (not sure which ones specifically).

I know a lot of people may be salty about this, but personally I wouldn't set the max value of stolen items too high, only a few thousand gold, and that's at max thieves guild ranks. What this does though is allow for a really in depth investigation RP as well as genuinely fun mechanically supported thief RP.

NOTE: Only 1 item can be stolen per "special PC house entering weekly lockpick", to avoid 1 rogue opening the door and several taking an item each from the 1 entry. Or it could be set that only the rogue with the item can enter the house or something like that.

It's not a perfect system, but it's just something i'd personally like to see for thieves to have some fun too. And with the new settlement bank storage thing you can safely store more valuable/rare items that you don't want stolen from your home anyway :)
Last edited by Orian_666 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 pm

What's more, this guild could require a decent lockpick skill to even get into (as it currently is in the current non-mechanical "thieves guild"), this will help avoid the server being saturated with thieves because you need to be a decent level/have decent gear to even join it, and it may also solve the current issue with Thieves Cant. Take it away from rogue levels and grant it to rogues that have achieved the middle rank with the thieves guild (able to heist PC homes) as a sign of having earned it!! (Also unable to be understood through Lore, which is something i'd like to see for other rare "languages" like animal and sign)

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:22 am

I like the idea of teaming up.

Maybe make it so any team can only steal from a quarter once, until it changes owner. So no repeat visits once you took something.

Maybe also make a stolen item unsellable except to a special NPC fence. The original owner has a week to buy it back. If the original owner doesn't then it goes up for sale. Either way the thieves get most of the profits.

Lycan

Post by Lycan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:37 am

Eric Whistler is a chaotic neutral guard in Guldorand, he hasnt gotten involved in Cordor politics yet but he is an accomplished sneak. I cant guarantee he will work with you, he is quite whimsical. But it could be fun trying to convince him.
Grayson Stringer
Edwyna Fallows
Eduardo Dragoon
Evan Devlyn (Aldred Whistler)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:52 pm

If they run into each other (and if he comes across the handful of locations where contacting us is possible) then they may chat about it ;)

dysmetria

Post by dysmetria » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:09 am

I had a thiefy character once. He found that it was far easier to break into the player quarters by waiting for their former owners to forget to visit them or pay their taxes. Then he took whatever he wanted, from people that probably didn't care about what was in those places anyway...well unless it was the Liber Diobolica or something.

Seemed a better alternative than trying to find a bard willing to tag along and sing for you just to be able to break in and take one thing from someone that is actively playing and might get really upset about it.

But whatever you do don't take message boards. They HATE it when you do that.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 am

Oh i've found a few abandoned homes myself already, lol, it's all fair game as far as i'm concerned :)

Definitely won't be stealing message boards, no worth in them (technically, any important information can be coped and noted)

The main plan is to steal, and then ransom (while giving the player a means to retrieve through some investigation RP) "expensive" fixtures like art and so on :)