Weapon Variety Discussion

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Durandal

Weapon Variety Discussion

Post by Durandal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:56 pm

I know I'm not the only one who must think rapiers and scimitars, don't get me wrong I like using them too, but dang do they get boring. Not to mention it looks really stupid imo when nearly everyone you run into for some reason uses the same sword. However, while no one is forcing you to use them, there is certainly some other weapons that are constantly shafted, if EVER used, that I think need to be looked at.

Longswords, bastard-swords, great axe/sword, halbred and some others are mostly fine I think, though still not used nearly as much or practical as scim/rapier.

I'm talking more about weapons like heavy and light flails, morning stars, sickles, clubs, maces, and such. I don't want every weapon to have huge crit range or suddenly stupid damage, but SOME KIND of incentive would be nice to make people actually want to use something else for once, eh? I'd like to see if anyone else has some ideas and thoughts on improving these weapons.

On a side note, spears are really nice now that you can use a shield with them, but can we please -twohand them?

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Weapon Variety Discussion

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm

I think just adding more variety in the loot matrix that's great but rare for the blunt weapons would do the trick, in the fashion like the unicorn spear. Because if I had a chance to get a one of a kind weapon that was almost or just as good, I would wield it over an all the time seen one.

Example: Mace of Dwarf slaying (Slay dwarf on hit).
Sickle Revolving around nature/farming?
A Flail of the Ages with different elemental effects (+3 Attack, +1 Fire Damage, +1 Cold Damage, +1 Acid Damage, +1 Sonic Damage, +1 Electric Damage)
A Guard's Club, maybe adds 2-3 AC and gives the disarm feat for free?

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:39 pm

MAKE LONGSWORDS HAVE RAPIER AND SCIMITAR CRIT RANGE

THANK YOU

BYE

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Whip with exotic weapon prof on it. For those of us who play Lolthite (or LaLaskran or Loviatan) clerics who just can't spare that feat for RP value?
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 pm

OverTheSeaToSkye wrote:Whip with exotic weapon prof on it. For those of us who play Lolthite (or LaLaskran or Loviatan) clerics who just can't spare that feat for RP value?
Would that work? I thought NWN checked feats before you picked up a weapon.

If it did, it'd be neat.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:00 pm

That will not work.

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:05 pm

And a dagger can't be off handed can it, so you have the feat and THEN grab the whip?
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Can't you just take the feat though? It'd be one thing if it wasn't possible for clerics to take it, but it is.

I did this on my Sorcerer. You lose one feat but it's worth the RP value if you ask me.

What I do like with NWN is you can grab simple, major or exotic without requiring the other.

You lose a bit in the numbers crunch but you get to fit better in your concept.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Since it's in the same vein. I was considering a flail user as my next toon (if my other toon doesn't pan out). Light flail and shield with a heavy flail for bigger damage, less AC needs. Barb would simply us the heavy and nothing else, but would fighter gain anything once the feats are taken for light flail? Splitting feats is probably a doable option on a pure fighter but perhaops weakens the character. Thoughts?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Remove rapier and scimitar.
Problem solved.

Or we could as well add all sort of racial weapons with increasing power which for some reason are never scimitars or rapiers.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Yeah, considering this has been a topic of debate for the past while, I'd rather you just bump rapier and scimitar's up to 19-20/x2. Or remove them.

You're never going to be able to recreate weapon diversity as found in PnP, because we don't have things like Reach, +Disarm, +Knockdown, +Feint, which is why you would use some of the more obscure weapons.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:Yeah, considering this has been a topic of debate for the past while, I'd rather you just bump rapier and scimitar's up to 19-20/x2. Or remove them.

You're never going to be able to recreate weapon diversity as found in PnP, because we don't have things like Reach, +Disarm, +Knockdown, +Feint, which is why you would use some of the more obscure weapons.
Or the armor types of 2nd edition, which were more resistant (and vulnerable) to certain kinds of damage. Darn Bugbears and their morningstars. And you thought that Chainmail+1 was worth it.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 pm

make all weapons either 20 x3 or 19-20 x2, remove scythe. 1-handed 1d8, finesse 1d6, two-handed 1d10.
Last edited by Ork on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Ork wrote:make all weapons either 20 x3 or 19-20 x2, remove scythe.
Please don't

I don't think the answer lies in homogenizing all weapons.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:
Ork wrote:make all weapons either 20 x3 or 19-20 x2, remove scythe.
Please don't

I don't think the answer lies in homogenizing all weapons.
You can make weapons different by what can be found/created, but because you can get a 10-20 threat range on a scimitar and rapier, they will always be superior.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Yeah and that's a fact I won't dispute.
But I stand by homogenization not being the answer... that'd make the mechanically boring.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 pm

I think the only answer would be to rework how all weapons interact with,

- damage shields (our version of PnP Reach)
- damage types and immunities (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing)
- combat feats (power attack, knockdown, disarm, dirty fighting, etc.)
- two-weapon fighting, class dynamics (like barbarian 2handed), AC-tradeoff with shields, weapon finesse, exotic weapon proficiency
- dungeons

You could design a cool weapon system that forces some diversity, or gives incentives to alternative methods of play beyond swinging crits for the fences. I just think it would be a lot, a lot of work. It would also shake-up the entire non-caster playerbase and create outcry, and cause a shift in how builds are worked, but also how you play through dungeons.

So that's a cost/reward analysis I wouldn't know how to measure if I were a Dev. I think a cleaner solution, rather than homogenizing weapons, would be to remove rapiers and scimitars.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Doesn't the FL server have some kind of weird immunity scaling on items to make it useful to use different weapons, or am I thinking of something entirely different?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Massive resistances on mobs would definitely help. For skeletons, piercing damage literally makes zero sense. You put a dagger through it, so what? But bludgeoning damage, however, should damage the skeleton just fine.

Go through every single monster, and there you go. Now you'll see every melee type carry 3 types of weapons into the dungeon ;)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 pm

^ I think it requires more finesse than that, because it that would devalue not only builds, but entire concepts (i.e. archers). It also makes it harder to play classes that are restricted in their proficiencies (rogues), while making it less inconvenient for classes that are already good and versatile (fighters).

Summons, also, to my knowledge, deal solely in bludgeoning damage, so massively increasing resistance can alienate summon-reliant casters.

It's a lot of work. It's why I can understand why it's hard to move on it.
Previous:

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote: A Flail of the Ages with different elemental effects (+3 Attack, +1 Fire Damage, +1 Cold Damage, +1 Acid Damage, +1 Sonic Damage, +1 Electric Damage)
As an Akadian that uses Heavy Flails, yes please! I will happily build it and send it to the DMs to expedite my weapon of doom :D

That said, it'd be great if you got the favoured weapon proficiency for the weapon of your deity - it is a bit of a shame that druids of Akadi can't use the Heavy Flail without taking a feat. Giving a free weapon focus would be a nice plus (perhaps just for clerics/druids/favoured souls/paladins/CoT/Blackguard/ranger?) and give incentive to use your diety's weapon.

Of course, that may just mean a lot of rapier/scimitar/greatsword gods are chosen, but at least it'd diversify those that want to RP another god.
Examples:
Akadi: Heavy Flail
Tyr/Corellon: Longsword
Ilmater/Bane: Unarmed Strike
Torm: Greatsword
Talos/Angharradh: Spear
Sune: Whip
Azuth/Sehanine Moonbow/Aerdrie Faenya: Quarterstaff
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 am

when did scimitar and rapier get a 50 percent crit range?
Yes I can sign

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 am

When you properly build a Scim/Rapier focused WM

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 am

then scimitar and rapier need to have their true penalties added as well to the mix. Because noone in their right mind is going to pick up a rapier and use it against someone in plate, unless they are insane of course
Yes I can sign

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 am

Given item level requirements are different now, it's a possibility that less 'optimal' weapons are given greater stats, or just given similarly to -twohand/two handed bonus, some arbitrary examples:

Heavy Flail: +5 physical damage.
Mace: +4 physical damage.
Dagger: +3 AB.
Longsword/Battleaxe: +1 AB physical damage.

So a Masterly Damask Dagger would be +6 AB/damage, and a MDamask Longsword would be +4 AB/10 damage.
:)