EE and FL

Moderators: DM Symphony, Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:16 am
Location: CA, US

EE and FL

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 pm

For those of you who haven't noticed, https://neverwintervault.org/ee-reveal/

While the claims I've made in the below post about "clocking out" were entirely true, I confess that I have been involved in the testing of the new Enhanced Edition. This has been going on since before the move, and has made it difficult to make time to return to FL.

The Arelith server is moving to the enhanced edition (instead of not moving). What this means is that to continue to play your Arelithian characters, you will need to purchase a new copy of Beamdog's distribution of NWN. It won't happen tomorrow, but it will be a transfer process that likely wraps up before the end of 2017.

After speaking with Mithreas and the other Arelith Admins, I've volunteered FL for the time being as a "Not EE" server [provided this is possible with our current hosting setup].

This unfortunately means that none of the new game features will be available in FL, but it fortunately means that any 1.69 player of FL, Arelith, or anywhere else, will still have a PW server to play on running [most] Arelith code and having the Arelithian setting [mostly], without purchasing the enhanced edition game from Beamdog.

I cannot say how my free time will change in the coming months, as I am still very involved in either developing for EE, helping with the main server migration, working on general NWN resources (Custom Content documentation), and for the first time in a few years, stepping in to put an hour or two per week of gameplay in so I don't lose feel of how the game works.

It is my intent, however, given my availability, that I will have time to continue to DM and caretake the FL server, hopefully resuming weekly events and the server reactive evolution I was formerly doing.

If anyone has any FL specific questions, feel free to post them below.

Thank you, everyone still playing FL, for your patience during my absence.

Symphony

MoreThanThree
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: EE and FL

Post by MoreThanThree » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Will those of us with EE will still be able to play on FL?
20 RPR GANG

User avatar
One Two Three Five
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 am

Re: EE and FL

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Don't uninstall your original NWN, I guess.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Nemain
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: EE and FL

Post by Nemain » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:36 pm

According to what I've read so far... EE client should be compatible with non-EE content; but not viceversa. It's not like you can't just have a copy of each, anyhow (and still best not to uninstall NWN1 until you've tested EE enough to know you prefer it)

User avatar
Kalgoon
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: New Mexico, USA

Re: EE and FL

Post by Kalgoon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm

We love you Symphony!!

We might get more people now if they refuse EE. :D

User avatar
Mithreas
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)
Posts: 2555
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 am

Re: EE and FL

Post by Mithreas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 am

Nemain wrote:According to what I've read so far... EE client should be compatible with non-EE content; but not viceversa. It's not like you can't just have a copy of each, anyhow (and still best not to uninstall NWN1 until you've tested EE enough to know you prefer it)
This is not quite correct.

You can absolutely maintain parallel EE and 1.69 installs (all of us on the beta have been doing exactly that!) so you can play on both old and new easily. However, you cannot use the EE client to talk to a 1.69 server.

So, if you want to keep playing on 1.69, it's really easy - just don't touch your current install. EE won't stop you using it.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Nemain
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: EE and FL

Post by Nemain » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Mithreas wrote:You can absolutely maintain parallel EE and 1.69 installs (all of us on the beta have been doing exactly that!) so you can play on both old and new easily. However, you cannot use the EE client to talk to a 1.69 server.

So, if you want to keep playing on 1.69, it's really easy - just don't touch your current install. EE won't stop you using it.
Thanks for the correction!

Is it confirmed, then, that FL will stay 1.69 compatible?

User avatar
One Two Three Five
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 am

Re: EE and FL

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:05 pm

DM Symphony wrote: but it fortunately means that any 1.69 player of FL, Arelith, or anywhere else, will still have a PW server to play on running [most] Arelith code and having the Arelithian setting [mostly], without purchasing the enhanced edition game
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

User avatar
Mithreas
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)
Posts: 2555
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 am

Re: EE and FL

Post by Mithreas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 am

Nemain wrote:Is it confirmed, then, that FL will stay 1.69 compatible?
Yes. Symph will take over as server "owner" and I'll play a supporting role, as I'm also doing on the main server, as time allows.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Post Reply