Suggestion: Creature Coin

Moderators: DM Symphony, Forum Moderators

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Suggestion: Creature Coin

Post by SteelsSweets » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 pm

I'd like to suggest changing the coin on click you get from dead creatures to delayed xp.

Since everyone clicks the bodies, they are collecting their own coin. It would make splitting the coin from sold loot after group trips a bit easier so you won't have to worry about the fact that everyone already has coin from the bodies.
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

DM Symphony
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Suggestion: Creature Coin

Post by DM Symphony » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:43 am

I love it.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:53 pm

:) Yay!
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Mithreas
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)

Post by Mithreas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Hm, one of the nice side effects of this right now is that dying wipes out most of what you gain from that trip, since you drop all the gold, but doesn't move you backwards. With this change, dying would have to apply a penalty to adventuring XP.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

No one of consequence

Post by No one of consequence » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 am

I like this idea a lot. As for the loss of coin, that does not necessarily happen if one is adventuring with companions. I would suggest a negative adventuring exp penalty for respawning, since you lose no gold currently if you are raised by a companion or have your gold returned to you if they take it off your corpse. I do not know how much coding work it would take to make this change properly, since gold would have to physically be present in the inventory of those creatures that it would be appropriate for. I would really like to not have to do the dead body conga line with my group after every battle though :)

GypC

Post by GypC » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 am

But the coin on bodies makes a nice reward in PvP ;)
Also, I think losing coin on death makes soloing an area less appealing. You don't have the safety net of your party members saving the coin on your corpse.

No one of consequence

Post by No one of consequence » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am

GypC wrote:But the coin on bodies makes a nice reward in PvP ;)
There would still be coin, no one is suggesting that no creatures would carry gold. As I understand it the suggestion is that instead of the coin that is transferred to your character's inventory when you click a body your character would receive an adventuring exp bonus when a creature dies in LoS. There should still be a small amount of coin physically in the inventory of creatures that would actually carry coin.
GypC wrote: Also, I think losing coin on death makes soloing an area less appealing. You don't have the safety net of your party members saving the coin on your corpse.
Again, you would still have some coin to lose, provided you were fighting things that would actually be carrying coin. You would also lose adventuring exp on respawn which -should- make soloing less appealing.

DM Symphony
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Symphony » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 pm

I agree with both of your posts, I think this would allow actual gold acquisition on the field to be something gained more exclusively from treasure and humanoids, which is where you would expect to find it I would say.

The mambo line can get tedious in larger parties, it might be worth changing that to a passive or active check for snatching "credit" from nearby corpses.

GypC

Post by GypC » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:24 am

Humanz has the shiney!

Seriously, I would be behind getting rid of the mambo line that happens after battle. It looks silly and has people running all over the map raiding corpses instead of having post battle rp.

I do wonder how it might affect FOB characters having a death penalty though. A lot of times the action is in Sibayad or higher level areas and a new character is left to their own devices in Cordor. It can be hard to party up starting off, depending on how many people are on and where they are. Just playing devil's advocate a little. I won't complain if it changes.

Seyormi

Post by Seyormi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:12 pm

i'd love something that doesn't require me to tag everysingle corpse. This would be awsome.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Wouldn't by far the easiest solution be to return to the old system, where the gold is automatically distributed to everyone in the party in that area when a mob is killed? Naturally, this removes the mechanical implication that a person collects the money from the dead body, but I think this point is moot because, a) it can be assumed that someone in the party clicks on the corpses anyway, or b) the collection round can be pretended to have happened; it's not like it isn't being implied by common sense.

In addition, and I'm not sure if this is doable, there could be an option in the Rest menu to refrain from gaining gold, so the rest of the party will have more. Makes RP sense at least, even if it makes boosting easier.