Summon options for good mages

Moderators: DM Symphony, Forum Moderators

Meshin

Summon options for good mages

Post by Meshin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:57 am

Currently in FL summoning favors evil. The most powerful summons are the warlocks balor and pit fiend by far. Then the palemasters / blackguard / epic necromancy undead summon line. Both of those classes medium and strong summons have DR 5/+3 which is invaluable in keeping your summons up which keeps the monsters from eating your face.

As a good or even neutral caster your best summon will be a Summon V with greater conjuration focus to get a Summon VI Dire Tiger. The tiger is about 1/4 as strong as a mummy and hardly comparable at all to the more powerful warlock summons. With a spellbook of Summon VI you can get a huge elemental which is about the same as the tiger depending on which one you get and a limited and rare resource.

To give the good/neutral casters an option equally as powerful we would need access to Summon IX which with greater conjuration focus would give us an ancient elemental, roughly equivalent to the balor or pit fiend summons. This would be great in the form of a book to be crafted which would give said spell 1/day. Different spellbook summon options would be nice to have such as Summon IX, Greater Planar Binding, Blade Blade of Disaster, Mordenkainens Sword, maybe even Summon Golems (if possible).
Also if Mordenkainens Sword was buffed up to DR 20/+3 it would be almost as strong as the mummy lord/gelugon/glabrezu while not quite as physically tanky it would have the edge against spells, although its only available on one item so still very rare.

Mithreas
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)
Arelith Admin (Fixed Level)

Re: Summon options for good mages

Post by Mithreas » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 am

On reflection, I prefer the sword-y options. There's little "good" about binding another intelligent creature to endanger itself for your personal wealth.

Let me noodle on this a bit.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Meshin

Post by Meshin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:11 am

I think mords sword is the most "wizardly" of all the choices.

Seyormi

Post by Seyormi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:11 pm

the dagger is pretty handy allready, for sorcerers i find...i haven't used it with a really cha-centric character, but spamming it can be pretty handy. maybe a summon stream based off this spell that scaled with evocation feats? a pretty handy way to incentivise epic evo, i'd think.

when you propose buffing the sword, though...i get a little twingy thinking about the dwarven mages who like to throw those at me a bunch.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Mithreas wrote:On reflection, I prefer the sword-y options. There's little "good" about binding another intelligent creature to endanger itself for your personal wealth.

Let me noodle on this a bit.
Unless you have a joint cause and cooperate! I mean, there is a certain glamour to having an angel two-handering badass fighting by your side compared to having a nondescript construct. (Though I suppose it can also be very much descript!) Besides, the elemental summons already share the immunity to crits, sneaks and everything style, and I suppose the swordies would follow suit and by way of that impoverish the diversity in our cast of summons.

Do you think you will be trying to utilize some of the already existing summons or making up whole new one for the FL server?

Bones Mist and Moons
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Warlocks don't get pit fiends/balors on FL. Just Glabrezu and Gelugon. Just wanted to throw that in.
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.

DM GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM GrumpyCat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:40 pm

To be fair, there's little 'good' about going out and killing other human beings, but pcs do it all the time when it comes to bandits and such. I'm all for moral debates in game, but mechanicaly speaking I think it's dangerous to put too narrow an idea on what 'Good' does.
""As an after effect to this, DM Grumpycat appears to have gone mad with random-power.. If the Guildhouse still stands, along with the whole city by the time they settle.. You're welcome to it." - DM Wish in a PM.

Bones Mist and Moons
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:To be fair, there's little 'good' about going out and killing other human beings, but pcs do it all the time when it comes to bandits and such. I'm all for moral debates in game, but mechanicaly speaking I think it's dangerous to put too narrow an idea on what 'Good' does.
*Thumbs up*
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.