Couple Questions

Moderators: DM Symphony, Forum Moderators

One Two Three Five

Couple Questions

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 pm

How updated is FL, compared to the other servers? Does it have the new warlock and PDK changes? If it's not updated, about where does it diverge?

Also: What's a good class for a 'new' player?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

DM Symphony
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Couple Questions

Post by DM Symphony » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:48 pm

1) We've unfortunately arrived at a bit of a "cocktail" update phase after Mithreas's return in January, allowing us for the first update in about 2 years. We've pushed a few updates since his return, and the current state of the server is a mix of a) Not updated to the main server because FL is different b) updated with new material but without proper installation (e.g. no lassoable points), c) updated with new material that isn't working the way it's supposed to yet.

A lot of the updates cause other working FL systems to fall apart, January was a bit nuts when we quite nearly synchronized with an untold amount of hours put in from Mithreas to sort through the major differences.

There was a small period where anyone with bonus spell slots, for example, had MAX spell slots (like 40ish), and anything they memorized in them didn't really work on rest anyways.

Right now, Mithreas is also using FL as a test server for some of his new features, so we end up in situations where, as an example, we have PDK a few days before it gets announced and uploaded to the main server after some testing.

2) Currently our last major update was 75% way through the 10 or so days of daily updates, where Peppermint blessed the server with a ton of new features, and hastily patched them while not sleeping for a week straight. This means that our summons are all new, though I believe some are missing their equipment, -streams does not work (yet), and we have greater conjuration bonus spells.

3) I'm embarrassingly not really sure what kind of situation warlocks are in at exactly this minute, I think they are missing the recent Fey pact spell changes, and nothing else (besides -streams). I have a known distaste for warlocks, and despite playing entirely too many characters on FL, my few warlock characters from before my DMage have not gotten a lot of play.

Warlocks are also thankfully less popular now than they were when they were first updated from the previous staff wielding version (roughly 2 years ago), so I haven't been able to study too many players to know exactly which of the main servers' features are included or not.

Thirdly, I don't really spend any time on the main server, so my frame of reference (What do you mean "lasers"?) is weak.

Our last updates fixed languages, since the NWNX chatmode stuff broke them, but it also broke disguise, and during the PDK import it was requested that Mithreas put in the extra hour to import the half-orc race change, which means I believe our races are quite nearly synchronized, with the exception of Ogres and the recent Vampire change.

I make the occasional attempt to update the -manual bugs article on the forum nearly monthly, which can be accessed on the forum, but not from the -manual command, since that broke when we upgraded the languages and now displays the main server manual articles instead!

4) Pure wizards are common first time players, as are warlocks given the summons to hide behind. It's a little rough at the early levels for melee combat, but things improve quickly. I've dumped a lot of exploration exp into the server, so, if you want my honest opinion of what to do for a no-brains get-going character, make a kensai barbarian mixed with weaponmaster / rogue / fighter to taste.

Few people make a lasting first character, and FL is real easy when it comes to getting another new character into the action, so, the kensai really makes it easy to take a look around, run away, grab a ton of cash from RPR, and not worry about making sure you have the right buffs from the right wands with the right metamagic with the caster level bonus to bound spells and the 1x/day items and so on. Just focus on looking around and murder, and get creative later.

If I don't catch you IG on your first log in, which I usually do, here are my top easy pieces of advice I give to first time players.

1) Find a trainer and look at the different categories and window shop for a bit. You'll want to set some targets, and you can take them in any order you like. Not everything will be on there until you qualify for it, but its fast, easy, and gives you some perspective right off the boat.

2) Find an enchantment basin (or a crafting station for which you have relevant crafting ranks) and drop a blank item in, and look at how the item property possibilities differ from enchanting on the main server. "enchanting" on FL is based on Crafting ranks, the spell foci help, but crafting is chiefly about making blanks and making your own weapon with attributes of your choosing.

3) Look around at player shops to see what other people are making/looting, how much stuff costs, and what it's made out of. The crafting system is also based on material, for which there is an article in the -manual pages listed at the top of the forums at "FL Mechanical Changes".

Honorable mentions, depending on the read I get from the player, would be to check out message boards to see what kind of characters play on the server, and what they've been up to, and figure out what kind of NPC shops there are before you invariably start picking up every piece of garbage and carrying it back to town thinking it will make you rich, which is pretty common for first time players of both servers.

Hope that helps, and happy to see you if/when you join the server, let me know if there's anything else you need, we're pretty friendly over here.

One Two Three Five

Re: Couple Questions

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Woah, thanks! On kensai: Does FL do the 'mundane' crafted item thing, too?
Otherwise, that should definitely cover it unless something comes up IG.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.