[Lances] Lancing, jousting.

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

White_935

[Lances] Lancing, jousting.

Post by White_935 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Greetings!

I would love to see lances implemented as a useable weapon both for combat, and for general roleplay (jousting).

my suggestion is to implement is as a weapon, which allows for a custom triggered script (activate ability to "prepare lance"

Once the ability is activated, it will check the following factors.
User:
Is Mouted
Has Mounted Combat feat
Riding skill greater than 0.

The effect creates a fear aura (invisible) that is the trigger field for the lance, which when the player approaches a hostile actor
triggers the script effect of making a lance attack with the lances unique damage modifiers (depends on the lance, some for instant used for tourneys would do little, others more and some could have enchantments).

If the player wishes to "continue" fighting, they'll either have to draw their primary weapon to continue the fight, or retreat, and make another charge.. provided their lance is intact.

How i'd imagine the rolls being done:

Combat roll: 1d20 + riding skill vs opponents AC
Note: if opponent is on a horse, and the attack is successful (hits), actors makes a second roll against the combat roll
1d20+riding skill to prevent being knocked off his horse.

Note: lances should have a 50% chance to break upon a successful attack, it could either be broken (deleted) or require a crafter to repair it back into a its regular state.

I recommend lances being craftable by both forger and carpenters, as they were crafted in both metal and wood in history.

I would love to see different lances, and even some class specific ones, to vary it up.
exemples: Holy Lance (paladins), Knights lance (Purple dragon knight), Lance of Darkness (blackguards).

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: [Lances] Lancing, jousting.

Post by Irongron » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm

I've actually been asking Beamdog for a while to fill in the correct weapon stats for lances, my last conversation about this was only yesterday.

They're basically an unfinished item in NWN, and while I'm keen to add more mechanics along the lines you describe, I first want them to function as a normal weapon.

Hoping it will happen soon.