Background Suggestion: Foreigner

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Atlantahammy

Background Suggestion: Foreigner

Post by Atlantahammy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Basically something really plain for people that are happy with their states / don't want state boosts, and more a RP flavor background, it mostly came as a Idea since Bard's do not get any bonus languages, and would normally, i think, would get to pick any language due their bardic schooling.

So Here is what it give / how it would work:
Select 1 Bonus Language.
Does not count against your learn-able languages.

Available Languages:
Elven
Xanalress
Dwarven
Gnomish
Hinnish
Orcish
Goblin
Undercommon
Celestial
Infernal
Abyssal
Draconic
Jotun

Possible Restricted Languages:
Elven (Drow Cannot Select)
Xanalress (Elves Cannot Select)

Cannot Be Learned:
Sign Language
Thieves Cant

Debatable / Up to the Devs:
Animal Language (Mainly because Sylvin is also part of this, and is taught in other parts of the world)

Note: A Language will also be unavailable if they already have it by race / where given to them by a class.
My thinking with Drow and Elves not being able to select the other language at start, is a way to prevent people cheese-balling subterfuge and spying RP, and having to actually learn the language and get the books. (course one is more available then the other...)

I thought about suggesting the same with Aasamir and Teiflings, but their a 5% right now, so no real point, let them have their cake, plus Celestal, Infernal, and Abyssal are often taught by clergy, and magical study in schools, so that is was another point against restricting them in my mind.