Mage Armor: Modification

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Mage Armor: Modification

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

This is one of those pipe dreams and I have no idea how complex it would be, but I assume it's possible since shifter forms exist with equipment attached to them.

Purpose: Give the spell a QoL update (the fact that it provides +4 by giving +1 to 4 different AC types makes it practically useless except for the +1 dodge) and make it more thematically appropriate.

Suggestion: Casting mage armor instead supplies a +4 armor enhancement bonus on 0 AC armor only. You could improve this to scale with Spellblade where appropriate, if desired.

Reasoning: Besides the mechanical ones mentioned above, traditionally, mage armor is armor made of force that doesn't stack with non-magical armor- instead it stands in the place of an absence of armor, giving all of its AC as a single source that stacks with other types of AC. Details here.

Note that this isn't a perfect solution, since optimally the spell would just equip armor with an ac of 4 to you (a chain shirt, I believe) with 0% ASF and 100% weight reduction. Disappears when the spell expires and can't be further enchanted, but that could be awkward if you don't have medium armor proficiency. Could the spell also temporarily give Medium Armor proficiency and be non-removable to prevent abuse?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002