Fighter's Shield AC and no shield

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Fighter's Shield AC and no shield

Post by Elaetheus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:01 am

Hello,

Currently a bonus Shield AC comes into play only if a shield is equipped. I propose to lift that requirement.

This would benefit those using two-handed/twohand/dual wield/etc, and bring the class more in line with how spellswords get AC.
The benefit for most builds would not be substantial (+2AC as I see it for most fighter-focused combos), but is still something (it hurts to carry no board...) and is thus welcome.

Thanks for reading!

UPD To give some IC-justification of the proposed idea, I would dare to say that one might expect a fighter not only know his armour better so not to show weakspots, but to also use his limbs to misdirect blows of the enemy. I invite you to look at the melee combat of XV century for the examples. A lot of it happens without shields, and the free hand is used for a lot actually! In effect, a martial combatant would know well how to use the armour of his gauntlets when needed.

The above reasoning would roughly mean something like even more "deflection" AC while shieldless, but I think it could be Shield AC too. The main point is, again, that no shield means extra manoeuvrability even in armour, hence more protection for a skilled warrior.