Writ Level Restriction

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Baron Saturday

Writ Level Restriction

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 am

I'd like to propose removing the lower level restriction for writs. So with a level 13 writ, rather than having a range of 10-16, it would have a range of 1-16.

Fairly simple reasoning behind this: Having a significantly lower level character accompanying you won't make the writ any easier (quite the opposite, probably). The lower-level character wouldn't be able to benefit from the writ in any way, aside from XP from mobs - and we already have a system for decreasing XP gains when a character is too low of level for the CR of the area. That being the case, the lower level restriction doesn't seem to serve much purpose besides acting as a hindrance to RP across levels.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Writ Level Restriction

Post by yellowcateyes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Writ rewards scale to level, and are meant to offer appropriate amounts of XP and gold for that stage of a PC's career. A low-level character consistently earning level 20 writ rewards would break that scaling, and would unnecessarily advantage PCs carried by higher-level friends.

Additionally, one of the consistent positive pieces of feedback about the writ system from new players is that it guides them to level-appropriate areas and clues them in about areas that are too dangerous for their current level. Having all quests available from the start would unnecessarily confuse genuinely new players, not to mention clutter up the browsing menus for agent dialog.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.