Castellans and Factions

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Castellans and Factions

Post by Dragonovith » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:38 pm

In my opinion, the castles should only be able to be opened by players or, better yet, by factions specified by the appointed lord/lady of the castle or the current mayor/ruler/king/whatever of the settlement that owns it. The settlement spent a very large quantity of gold from their treasury to acquire the castle, they may as well decide who can enter it or not.

For instance, the settlement leader can decide to only let inside his faction, Worshipers of Cthulhu, therefore turning the castle into some sort of secret Old Gods cultist haven, but the next elected settlement leader can decide for something more mundane, letting only the settlement's guard and merchant factions in. Or maybe the third elected leader could decide to rent the castle for the highest bidding faction. Possibilities are endless, and it also fixes two problems, in my opinion: cheesy-ness of a known enemy acquiring citizenship just to spy or doing something similar; and characters locked from surface politics, if allied or deemed trustworthy, would be allowed access to the castle with this new system.

It would work like this: Castellan NPCs offer a new dialogue option for the settlement leader and the castle's lord/lady, something like "I wish for these factions to have access to the castle...". By clicking on that option, whatever faction name you write in the chat box will be added to the list of allowed factions. Think on it like assigning a faction to a quarter, it's a very similar system.