Human race comes with a bonus language

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Human race comes with a bonus language

Post by Kenji » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 am

In both D&D 3.5E and 5E, human players get to choose one bonus language of their choice for their characters provided that the choices are not exotic (abyssal, infernal, etc) or secret languages (animal, thieves' cant, etc).

I know this may seem an unfair suggestion seeing that it is already making the humans even more overpowered than intended in both the mechanical and the RP sense in NWN, but it's something I'd like to bring up. Wouldn't mind if this gets rejected due to "balancing" reasons, as long as it's out there and the argument is made.

There was a similar suggestion earlier, but it suggested that humans get one extra natural int mod. on languages instead of learning the language.

I suggest that humans automatically LEARN an extra standard language of their choice at the cost of using one natural int. mod on languages, already.

Much like creating human characters in either 3.5E or 5E, they can learn dwarvish, elvish, halfling, gnomish, or etc. immediately upon character creation. This is to simulate that during the growth of that character, he or she was in contact with races other than human and learned their tongue alongside common.

So the proposed change on human players is this:
  • Learn 1 extra standard language if intelligence modifier is greater than or equal to 1. (Int of 12 or above)
  • The bonus will count towards the maximum amount of intelligence modifier allowed for languages learned.
Note, standard languages are the following as listed in 5E, apply where applicable:
Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Giant, Gnomish, Goblin, Halfling, and Orc

Edit: To take game mechanics and 'statistics' (in my head) into account, I have decided to expand upon the suggestion:
Since almost every character have at least 14 int thanks to the (flawed) skill system - thank the gods they streamlined it in 5E - add another restiction:
In order to utilize this, human characters are required to have a wisdom and/or charisma of 12 or above. Or maybe only when the player selects Gift of Tongue for the human character in order to utilize this bonus.