dam nature u scary

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Beneidalus

dam nature u scary

Post by Beneidalus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am

the handful of necromancy spells a druid gets are rather lackluster and don't really inspire their use, much less necromancy foci feats.

Poison, a third circle spell, is always a DC 18, no matter your foci or WIS bonus, simply because it's poorly designed. Maybe tag +1 acid damage per level, onto it? Or if possible, tag additional custom poison effects upon it, dependent on which necromancy foci one has. Something around DC 20 for first foci, DC 25 for greater foci, and DC 30 for epic foci. Ballpark estimates.

Then there's Healing Sting in the same spell circle, third. Third means low DC, and on a fort save (or if the target is immune to negative energy) this spell does absolutely nothing. All it does on a failed save, anyways, is 1d6+1 neg energy, per level, and returns that as health. Maybe have it also deal the caster's WIS modifier in positive energy (or maybe just a flat 10), onto this spell--even on a failed save? Suggestive of the 'Balance' that druids keep (positive/negative), but also giving the spell more use.

Next we have Infestation of Maggots, thematically, one of my favorite for druids, but it just really lacks some bite. First successful save, and the spell ends. Maybe make it to where three saves need be achieved, before the effect wears off? Or alternatively, while the spell may end on one successful save, the target still receives half the CON damage they would have otherwise, on a failed save. In this way, the spell is actually useful, while still easily being countered by a Negative Energy Protection Potion.

Last but not least, we have Slay Living, and Finger of Death. Spells shared by other classes. I've made the suggestion before, but I feel like they could use a change in damage type, on a failed save. Not sure if it's even possible, but making their damage-on-successful-save something unmitigatable, would overall help necromancy, as it's definitely one of the more sub-optimal spell choices, across all classes, both in terms of summons and spells.

With similarly inspired changes, I feel like it might actually be tempting to pickup Necromancy for a druid. As is, though, very lackluster. Thanks for the read!