Reward system factor in PC age/playtime and be cumulative

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

rookie

Reward system factor in PC age/playtime and be cumulative

Post by rookie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 pm

I think the current reward system incentivizes no-RP new characters that grind up over long standing characters.

I'm going to give an example what I mean of a different way to do it. I'll just focus on the Major reward tier to illustrate. The biggest factors are character age (based off creation date) and total hours played (based off number of rest ticks).

We'll say that the target for an "old character" is 80 weeks of existence and about 800 hours played (10 hours/week). We'll multiply the values together for a total "point value" of 64,000, which is the total number of points needed for a Major reward.

Character A is 80 weeks old and has been played for 800 hours, if they roll they'll obviously have 64,000 points which is worth a Major reward.

Character B is 100 weeks old and was only played for 10 hours total (basically a dead character). First of all they wouldn't have been level 26 but even if they somehow made it to there, they're only worth 1000 points and you'd need 64 of them to get a Major reward.

Character C is 5 weeks old and has 200 hours on them, they're likewise worth 1000 points and you'd need 64 of them to get a single Major reward.

Character D is 40 weeks old for 800 hours total, 32000 points, you'd need 2 of them.

Personally I'd just have all the points together that you could "purchase" rewards from and then have modifiers on point accumulation. Maybe having 1 million gold gives a 10% point bonus or rolling a level 16 character only gives 1/8th the points a level 26 one would etc.

I think a system like this would encourage older more played characters to roll more than the current one does. While grinding can still be used, rolling the characters would need to be more spaced out in time to get the full effect. There might should be a cap on the age of the characters, it might stop mattering after 100 weeks to prevent someone from rolling a bunch of 7 year old characters. Of course if the RP ticks don't start counting until recently then their hours played would be tiny as well.

I'm not suggesting these numbers be final, I just wanted to illustrate how it could be done.