Dragon Breath & other friendly-fire abilities/spells

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Luth

Dragon Breath & other friendly-fire abilities/spells

Post by Luth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

Good morning. I post here today regarding Friendly Fire while using abilities considered to be "nukes" or highly damaging or detrimental. I'd like to make clear; I'm not demanding a change, just the consideration/potential talk out of the topic.

I consider it correct that dangerous spells should be controlled; for instance, if you start throwing Fireballs from a safe distance into the group of mobs while melees are there, they're gonna have a bad time (Luth Aladrow was sorry sorry sorry that time). If you go and do an earthquake, it comes to common sense that everyone should be affected, except creatures floating or flying.

But when the engine doesn't make much sense out of some abilities, accidents happen!

I barely noticed just yesterday that Dragon Breath does, in fact, deal friendly-fire damage. Now forgive me for quoting the NWN wiki, but;

Damage is rolled once for all non-friendly creatures in the cone.
Though the cone will extend 10 meters from the user, he will attempt to approach within touch distance of a selected target object.

Now I'd like to ask if the friendly-fire factor was intended for RDD players to be more careful. If so, I'd like for the Arelith RDD article to be edited so; if not, then please consider making it so that the ability doesn't harm party members. The reason I'm asking this, it's because for Arcane Archers, for instance, they can use Imbue Arrow, which releases a non friendly-fire Fireball, basically, and for it to not deal friendly fire damage, and other abilities able to do so, from my point of mechanical view, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Were you against it or willing to go along with it, I'd like to hear your piece. Thanks!