Cordor Crypts Swinging Axes

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Maladus

Cordor Crypts Swinging Axes

Post by Maladus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:32 am

Can something be done to make this easier for people who don't have a decent Reflex Save? I spent about 15 minutes or so just trying to run past these...but since I have to roll a 16 or better to successfully pass them I gave up. I don't know the exact odds, but there's a 25% chance that I will do it once...then to do it TWICE?! That's a bit much. I'm level 9 (3 Fighter/6 Cleric) for reference.

Here's what I suggest:
  • Option 1: Lower the DC of the trap. I feel like there are two types of people who will attempt this trap. Those who have decent Reflex and those who don't. Those with a high Reflext score are going to pass it most of the time anyway...and those without generally won't be able to. Lowering it to say...10 or 12 will still let those with high Reflex pass it, but will give those without a fighting chance.
  • Option 2: Add an alternative path for those with low Reflex saves. I don't think that simply allowing you to bypass it completely would be ideal, but maybe some other way. Perhaps there is a door that can only be forced using strength? Perhaps there is a ledge with a lasso point that you can use the climbing rope for?
  • Option 3: Remove one of the traps. Even if the DC of the trap is not touched, or an alternate route is not added...I'd be happy if one of the traps were simply removed. A 1 in 4 chance of getting through it with my Reflex score is MUCH better than having to do it twice. Heck, even in my 15 minute session of banging my head against a wall I made it to the second one two or three times. I'M OK WITH THOSE ODDS.
I cannot think of another dungeon in the entire module that is this unfairly skewed in such a way that it actively discourages a good chunk of the player base from completing it. I understand that this can be easily avoided if you group up with a Rogue, but as I'm sure the team is aware this is not always an option because of availability or any other number of things.

Kirito

Re: Cordor Crypts Swinging Axes

Post by Kirito » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am

This has already been toned down... it was 4 times.

Also, (unless things changed since I last went through them when there were four traps) there ways other ways of getting through the traps.

Your build can easily get through the traps, but you have to think differently.
Last edited by Kirito on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorkas

Re: Cordor Crypts Swinging Axes

Post by Lorkas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:45 am

It has not changed. There are ways to get around the traps aside from having a party member with high reflex or just brute forcing your way through with sheer attempts.