GSF Necro

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

telmarael

GSF Necro

Post by telmarael » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Ugh... In spite of feeling the rocks flying my way, I'm going to write it anyway. My thanks beforehand If you've read through the whole thing.
Addition: I've found, finally, a thread about necro being buffed in some time, but half a year has passed and no changes have been implemented just yet. I think that what I've proposed might work fine with the changes promised before.

I've read through quite a few topics on the forum gathering info for my new character here (emphasis is that it comes from forum discussions AND my view, not just my view), so that's what I've found:
1. Necromancers are inferior to other summoning classes (arcane casters in particular), as their pets are obviously worse than what conj provides.
2. Clerics-animators aren't in as bad a spot as arcane ones (well, they -are- supposed to be better by definition). But the clerics are weaker in overal, so I won't touch them anymore
3. Good option for animators is going death knight type of build (with PM or BG), but -not everyone- wants to be a melee class, hence shortening the diversity of builds for necros.
4. SF necro mostly aren't worth taking as they don't really buff anything: most characters will have enough fort saves to resists them, and also people can easily access the death-immunity through items. Going Illusions is much more appealing because it provides a wider ranger of simmilar abilities and a few cookies on top via ESF
5. The best necro summon is once-per-rest like EDK, but create undead is outright inferior to elem summons when the once-per-rest CDs are down.
6. Necros have harder time leveling than conjurers cause summons are outright weaker.

What I suggest can possibly solve the problem of SF necro being unattractive for arcane casters AND solving the most of these issues, especially #5-6

For Wizards\Sorcerers that pick GSF Necromancy: Add another extra undead summoned to Animate dead and Create Undead.

It won't make them crazy busted right off the bat, and will justify picking GSF Necromancy for arcanists who want to be necromancers in their primary activity - animating undead :) GSF Conj arcanists can already summon the elemental with summon creature 5.

Before rolling my wizard with GSF Conj, I've made an Elder Fire Elemental and Mummy fight the same enemy. Where the elemental has sustained just fine and killed the enemies, the mummy got outright stomped by them. Choosing the path of a necromancers is a dangerous way that gives you some strength others don't have, but causing half of the world to wish you dead passively, and the other half actively hunting you down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just a subtle change will make both SF and the school of summoning more apealling without breaking anything. Clerics can already summon 3 undead, and it doesn't break the game, so why shouldn't arcanists do that with a bit of dedication? And this way it will only affect the pure caster necromancers.

And a bit of "wild dreams" on top of that. ESF Necromancy: makes your character temporary undead (put the numbers at will, 2 turns?) once per rest as a free action, giving thim crit. strike resistance, bonus to AC + standart undead weaknesses and strenghts. Hahaha, aren't we allowed to dream? :D Thanks again
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*