Tone Down Spell VFX

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Cataclysm of Iron

Tone Down Spell VFX

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 am

Frequently spell visuals are distracting, obnoxious, make the identity of a character hard to pick out, can be laggy, etc.. They’re jarring when out and about and downright immersion-breaking when not adventuring. Yes you can -dispel, but that has major limitations (only your own casting, can debuff others you’ve buffed too, can only go all or nothing).

Obviously there’s an rp cost to being a walking Christmas decoration and that’s not unreasonable - but it’s frustrating to contend with when it pertains to spells which it’s hard to rationalise actually having a visual impact; it seems as though NWN just has a visual for them for the sake of it.

So I propose a revisiting of which spells have visuals, and which join the invisible (such as zoo spells, mage armour, one with the land, divine favour, GMW). Just to clarify I’m not proposing any change to casting visuals - just to the persistent effect visuals.

Examples of spells which seem to have an integral visual effect it’d be a shame to remove: barkskin, stoneskin, concealment effects, invisibility, acid sheath, light, shield.

Examples of spells where the visuals seem to be basically OOC and it would be good to see removed: premonition, ultravision, mind blank, freedom of movement, elemental protection spells, spell resistance, true seeing.

BONUS ROUND: examples of spells which lack visuals where it kinda feels they might be appropriate: (monstrous) regeneration, haste, shield of faith.

Obviously some of my specific examples might be ones to be contested but in general a revisit could still be good :)
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.