PrC tokens from players not DMs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

condotierri

PrC tokens from players not DMs

Post by condotierri » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 am

Here is an "out there" suggestion, but hear me out or perhaps consider incorporating it to some capacity, all non-award Prestige Classes (PrCs) require player tokens.

-- Short Version --

There are ton of player PrCs out there in the world of Arelith; however, now to get one you must train under an epic character PrC to be granted that PrC (RPR restrictions still apply). Overall, it shouldn't be too difficult finding one since almost every epic character has one or more PrCs.

This would decrease work overall for the DMs, and move that work to the player base where it would encourage and force players to interact and RP their PrC in order to achieve the PrC token. This would also give epic max characters more of a reason to log on as it will require resources from their end as well (read below for a longer idea of the mechanics)

-- Long version --

Currently a max epic character keeps accruing xp and adventure xp for no real purpose other than to have a buffer if he/she dies to not delevel (although there are a few that use it to enchant gear, or make wands/potions). With this system, their xp now serves a purpose since it will cost 50,000 xp (first taken from the adventure xp pool) in order to have an apprentice and give out a PrC token. The system also limits the mentor of having an apprentice every in game year (also would like to see CD key to CD key restriction of gifting the PrC of one per IG year). Both of these restrictions stop cheesing of just granting PrCs to their IRL friends, since the cost is so high both in xp and time, and also really makes the mentor think on who deserves the PrC the most with IG RP.

When the mentor and the apprentice adventure together, both receive an xp boost; and the mentor receives xp x2 to their adventure xp in order to hopefully refill some of their 50,000 xp investment over that time. This also encourages continued interaction between the mentor and apprentice, which will allow them to xp together at times (i.e. player made quests/adventures). So perhaps instead of low level mobs giving 1xp, they perhaps now get 5xp when a mentor and an apprentice are together (although need to be mindful of cheese where they keep farming low level dungeons, some IG mechanic will need to be placed here).

A character can only be a mentor if they have 10 levels of the PrC and are an epic character (this may make WM mentors quite rare and sought after, even maybe creating a market for mentor PrCs!). Since the xp requirement is so high (which is by design) most mentors will be level 30s, because losing 50,000 xp would otherwise delevel leveling characters. If one chooses to be a mentor and delevels because of it, they still need to have 10 levels of the PrC after the end of the deleveling process to qualify.

Why is this needed? A few reasons really. First, level 30 characters can be boring at times to play since questing and adventuring lose the excitement of leveling up. This would encourage characters to log in looking for apprentices and then training them. They will also need to log on and play in order to refill their adventure xp back to 50,000 xp if they seek additional apprentices. Overtime, if they have a few students people may look to them as a master trainer of that particular PrC creating more RP overall.

Second, PrCs are just so easy to get, or not get. I've heard about and experienced both of getting a PrC (the exact same ones) within 10 minutes of talking to a DM in game while it can take another about 1-2 months with a full RP guild event and multiple screen shots to prove the event happened. I feel this would balance this discrepancy out a little better. Also, the ones who get it within 10 minutes or even within a few days may or may not do any RP with the PrC, but rather just say they did to the DM. This system would highly encourage RP between mentor and would-be-apprentice, since the apprentice would need to prove to the mentor they would be a good candidate.

Lastly, DMs will be moved from PrCs gifters to monitors, making sure no one is abusing the system and changing RPR PrC requirements as needed to regulate the system from a macro-level rather than a micro-managing level. PrCs would be cherished more and be seen as a prestige class. This suggestion may deter many, since they want their PrC as soon as possible (i.e. PDK), but that doesn't stop people at level 2 RPing looking for a mentor to the class. It just might take them a level or two longer to get. Sorry, but that is the system I am suggesting. I've seen some great RP from people pretending to be training from a mentor, while others just get it within 10 minutes. It annoys me when those in the former group sometimes need to wait weeks or months to get the token, and I assume it frustrates them as well. This system will hopefully encourage good RP and reward the people for doing it.