Shadow Mage Suggestion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

RedGiant

Shadow Mage Suggestion

Post by RedGiant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15195

While I don't want to see the class discontinued, I do agree it needs some help. The only thing really good about the class currently is the small HiPS perk, which only really works if you dip eeeever so slightly into shadow dancer. Moreover, as I understand the class, heavy shadow dancer investment eventually ruins you as a caster.

Alternately, if you don't mind the investment (wizard + INT = plenty of feats and skill points), you could take shadow dancer anyway, get the HIPS, and not have any drawbacks. Harper-Mage, which gives you hidey goodness ableit on the good side of the spectrum is a flat upgrade compared to this.

Therefore, I suggest that shadow mages be granted specific shadow powers/spells on cool-down. Namely grant shadow mages (at the appropriate level): shadow conjuration, greater shadow conjuration, shades, and finally shadow shield (no use of components).

I think this would be thematically appropriate and I would categorize it as a minor boon that just might make the class more mechanically "worth it."

(To those who might argue this is OP...my thought is that letting shadow mages do shadowy things they could do anyway, just more often, is a fairly modest upgrade.)
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

miesny_jez

Re: Shadow Mage Suggestion

Post by miesny_jez » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:28 am

Shadow Mages are up for a major overhaul and have been on the table of balancing/changes since August.
While I cannot give You anything detailed as we are adjusting the last variables I can say that the current version 3.4 is very close to what will be added finally and lots of the points which You have raised in this suggestion are valid.
Wait for it, I hope to finalize the scripting part soon (TM)