Cosmetic only animal companion stream

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

hoshi

Cosmetic only animal companion stream

Post by hoshi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 am

Add an alternate to each animal that doesn't affect the stats, just the look. This sort of exists with the totem setup but is a bit harsh to take it just for reskinning your animal companion to fit the local wildlife.

Ideally this would give some variety while fitting the theme for a character. It could be as the totem works (pick an animal and all animal companions look like that) or else have animals that match up, for example:

badger->shadow mole
hawk->bat
spider->snake
dire rat->chicken? (some small surface critter)
wolf->dog (or deer?)
boar->squig
dire wolf->worg
bear->rothe
panther->ice crawler

Merely an example, I'm sure if a dev was interested they could come up with a better matchup.

It could be accessible through a command like -stream or something similar, so you would pick a hawk for stats on level up then pick the look (whether it is open choice, or just something simple like Vanilla/Alt).

Peppermint

Re: Cosmetic only animal companion stream

Post by Peppermint » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am

I actually did want to add a -stream type element to familiars/animal companions at some point, whereby players could find and train/capture animals in the wilderness.

Such a system will likely never happen in the near future, owing to time-constraints. I agree that reskins are pretty cool, though.