Gate as a henchman

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Hallibutthead

Gate as a henchman

Post by Hallibutthead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Hey, just a thought. Was playing a wizard and was wondering the point of "gate" as a spell. Not the point as the advertised "really strong, short duration summon" which makes sense, but as in "why would i ever cast this, if it's going to get rid of my really strong long duration summon and leave me more-or-less defenseless after the fight."

i think it would be a better spell if we made it into a henchman so you could have your elemental out, but debuffed some of the stats to compensate. That would allow it to serve a role other than the very niche "i'm not summoning unless i am, and only for a few rounds because i have no care for efficiency" spot it seems to be in.

or, maybe i misunderstand the whole thing and this should just be forgotten. who knows?

Peppermint

Re: Gate as a henchman

Post by Peppermint » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 am

I'd been meaning to make Gate a little stronger at some point. I'm not currently doing any dev work, though; so I'm uncertain when that will happen.

That said, we've tried to move away from henchmen summons as a rule. They're pretty clunky.

Gate is intended to be the summon you break out when you're not otherwise using one (e.g. you're in a large party, but want something up your sleeve for those "oh crap" moments).