Dragon Shape Rework

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

hoshi

Dragon Shape Rework

Post by hoshi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:44 am

So I wanted to rework the feat to be a bit weaker, but allow a variety of roles. Stats are far from perfect but hopefully you get the idea. I tried to make in a mesh of ActionReplay's elemental update and the EDK revamp for the melee form (type 1).

Pre-Req: infinite elemental shape or infinite greater wildshape IV (puts it firmly in the level 26+ range but without a wisdom requirement)

For looks/small differences within each type you'd have 3 -streams, Red, Prismatic, and Silver that operate off the same stream choice as the EDK.

Types (as the spell already has 3 types I figure you could map them to those):
1. The first one would use the large model. Was thinking:
Large Size
38 Str, 30 Dex, 28 Con
15 dodge AC
35% physical immunity
true seeing
improved knockdown
SR 32
Lesser Fright Aura
standard elemental damage immunities/vulnerabilities the EDK ones have.
+20 discipline

I think that would put it weaker than some of the level 28 elementals, stronger than the level 20 ones, and gets rid of the crazy DR. Both druids and shifters already have near permanent true seeing from other sources so left that in as it is a staple for dragons.

2. Wyrmling model (use the pseudodragon for the prismatic line):
Small size
20 strength, 30 dex, 20 con, 15 dodge ac
same effects as 1 but switch improved knockdown with weapon finesse and no fear aura

instead it would gain a reusable AoE support spell, for example Healing Circle, Aura of Vitality, Vine Mine, etc. You could make all 3 streams the same or have 1 ability mapped to each.

3. I would do very similiar to number 2 except have some offensive ability, such as Inferno for red, Ice Storm for silver, maybe Flame Strike for the prismatic.

I'd probably put a 1 minute reuse timer on the abilities. I'd change dragon shape itself to be infinite use, but a 6 minute timer after leaving the form. If there are possible metamagic shenanigans like how certain shifter form abilities work either balance to that or pick non-druid spells as spell-like abilities.

So you could switch roles mid dungeon crawl but you couldn't Inferno an enemy, Healing Circle your party, then switch to large dragon shape in the same fight (though you could switch from an elemental into a wyrmling to healing circle then back to the elemental).

Technically the other forms don't even have to be dragons and you could mix them up with something else if other models fit better, I just wanted to downgrade the power a bit, make it a feat any druid/shifter sufficiently invested in their class could take, and add in some variety.