Imp polymorph

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Amphioxus

Imp polymorph

Post by Amphioxus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:12 pm

In lore this is meant to be an at-will ability so that an imp can hide in plain sight to discern what people want in order to better tempt them, or to determine who might be susceptible to temptation, or simply gather information for their employers on the Prime.

I think it fails at this on Arelith for two main reasons I think (and several lesser reasons that I won't mention: 1) the RP-crushingly short duration of 7 minutes that doesn't improve as you level, and 2) the polymorph-explosion visual effect that takes place on every transition or every time you type -save, which reveals to any character with some spellcraft that the individual is polymorphed.

The imp's ability is not supposed to be a combat ability, but an RP one. On Arelith it winds up being really powerful at very low levels (any imp can have +7 regen, or 10/- DR and +2 regen, right at level 3), but the mechanical benefits wane and the limitations prevent it from being really useful in RP later.

To that end, I suggest that the duration of the imp's polymorph self ability scale with levels, and that (if possible) the polymorph-explosion effect be removed so that it can be refreshed on transition without screaming obviously of the polymorphed nature of the character when an imp is trying to RP with potential targets of their temptations.