Give Ranger's Awaken for animal companions

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Ironsoul

Give Ranger's Awaken for animal companions

Post by Ironsoul » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:25 pm

I think the Ranger would benefit immensely if we were able to cast Awaken as a level 4 Ranger spell on our animal companions.

In my experience the animal companions for the Ranger are very squishy without an added form of AC. Druids are able to use their companions more actively due to the addition of powerful buffs like Stoneskin, Barkskin etc. on top of the regular use of Awaken with a plus AC bonus on top of it.

As it stands almost all of the Ranger's useful spells are in the third spell level which has to compete with Greater Magic Fang and Blade Thirst. The fourth spell level is relatively less exciting and could benefit from Awaken perfectly.

As an aside I think changing the duration of Greater Magic Fang to hours/level could also benefit the Ranger while leveling.

Unless I'm over leveled for the content or playing extremely defensively I end up saving my companion for an escape button rather then using them actively to hunt. Without an added AC bonus we are more or less forced to use the Direwolf for the early levels as its AC is the highest.

Other then that I'm very happy with the progression of the buffed animal companions.