Further attempts to de-trap kensai

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Lorkas

Further attempts to de-trap kensai

Post by Lorkas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 am

First of all, freedom makes the kensai much more bearable to play. A constant frustration of mine when playing previous kensai characters is that I simply had to decline to travel with people to certain places if certain buffs were required for surviving an area, but the party couldn't provide them to me.

There are several areas that kensai previously couldn't travel to, even in a group, but now can thanks to the freedom addition. However, there are still several areas where the kensai is barred from, without exactly the right party make-up. Mostly these are areas where you must have negative energy protection or (less frequently) death ward.

In order to increase the flexibility of the kensai path a little bit without giving it a straight increase in power from what it is now, create a list of abilities that the kensai can potentially have. A few examples could be:
  • Freedom
  • Negative Energy Protection
  • Death ward
  • Fear immunity
  • +X AB
  • +X regen
  • +X AC
  • Weapon keened
  • +X saves
The kensai would always have haste, their bonus to saves vs spells, and their +10 discipline. However, once per rest and/or with an expenditure of some XP, the kensai could spend some time in meditative focus to reattune themselves to one of the additional bonuses from a compiled list.

This would allow the kensai to potentially travel to places like Manor of Mourn, Baator, and Benwick, from which they're currently all-but-barred... they just don't get Freedom in addition to the extra bonus.