New Class: Slinger

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

KiMastReD

New Class: Slinger

Post by KiMastReD » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:45 am

The sling is my all time favorite historical weapon and it's always troubled me how completely inadequate it is in NwN.

In skilled hands a sling can kill a man in a single blow or be used with non-lethal precision to turn danger away. With every hit they can break bones, damage organs, and cause concussion.

They are simple to make, they effectively never run out of ammunition and even a child can master them.

Base Class: Fighter. Losses Bonus Feats.

Level One: Find a Rock. Once per day the slinger may look on the ground and pick up a stack of bullets. These bullets scale in power to the slinger level. As the slinger becomes more adept at locating only the most balistically sound projectiles.

(Bullets Scale from +1 to +6 Blundgeon damage.)

Level One: Slinger Gains +1 to attack with slings every five levels up to +5.

Level 3: Slinger gains Rapid shot for free.

Level 5: Slinger gains Point Blank Shot.

Level 7: Slinger gains Called Shot.

Level 10: The slinger begins honing in on the targets' heads. Giving him a chance to cause stun with every slung bullet the DC of the stun scales with level up to 32.

Level 14: Slinger Gains Weapon Specialization Sling.

Level 17: Crit Range of the Slinger's weapons, is increased by one. Similar to weapon master.

Level 20: Body Shots. The slinger has become adept enough with his sling to damage his target's internal organs. Causing Bleeding 1 with a DC of 14. This effect does not scale. (Essentially, requiring the target to roll a one)

Level 25: Better crits. Slinger Gains +1d6 Massive Critical with all slings.

Level 30: Slinger Gains Epic Weapon Specialization: Sling.

Reasoning: This would put slings up next to bow as a reasonable weapon. But only if taken into the epic levels. It would obviously never be as strong as Arcane Archer but since Slingers can use shields it also makes them capable as close range fighters and skirmishers but without overshadowing fighters. However, because it grows quickly at first taking only a few levels can benefit any class.

I had wanted to suggest giving them "Crippling Shot" but since the base class should be Fighter the slinger would never gain sneak attacks, nor do I believe it's possible to apply Crippling strike to only slings.

For clarity. The bullets gain +1-6 as well as the slinger gains Weapon Spec. They are a stacking combo.