Language Names update:

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Mr_Rieper

Language Names update:

Post by Mr_Rieper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:45 am

Wanted to suggest a small thing for the sake of RP and accuracy, and that is to update the languages to their real names, to match languages like Xanalress. The rough idea is to make the roleplay surrounding languages more interesting, encourage people to dig into the lore a bit more and help people to be a bit more specific. From a storytelling perspective, it's just more detail for the world that we play in.

Common - This is its actual name, so no problems here.
Undercommon - Also perfect. This is the real name.
Animal Language - No suggestions here, but the current name gets the point across.
Celestial, Infernal, Abyssal - Just fine as well.
Sign Language, Thieves Cant - Also just perfect.
Xanalress - Awesome, no complaints here.

Elven - This is [Espruar]. It's both a language and an alphabet, and is considered elven "common".
Dwarven - This is called [Dethek]. Also both a language and an alphabet, it's the "common" language that most dwarves can speak.

Halfling - Their racial language is called [Luiric].
Gnome - Their language is called [Gnim].

Draconic - Dragons and dragonkin refer to this as [Auld Wyrmish]. This is an interchangeable term for the common language among dragons, though Draconic refers more to the writing system than the spoken language. So things are written in Draconic, but spoken in Auld Wyrmish, though people will still understand what you mean when you claim something was spoken in Draconic. Kobolds speak a basic dialect of this called Yipyak, but they are still roughly the same language, and kobolds don't have a separate language on the server.
Orc - This is called [Daraktan] and is effectively "orcish".
Goblin - This is [Ghukliak] and is the language of goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears.
Giant - This is the [Jotun] language.

There may be some issue with the dash commands, like -el or -dw. However, I don't think it would be that confusing to keep these as they are, but change the names of the languages. Most people consult the -language menu to check the codes before typing out their RP messages anyhow. I think it would do a lot of good to have the language tags changed.

[Halfling] "What do we do now?"

To:

[Luiric] "What do we do now?"

Especially regarding the racial languages like elven, dwarven and goblin. It's a simple and effective way of bring more of the rich Forgotten Realms lore to Arelith, without any major effort or storywriting. It would make the languages feel more distinct and authentic, just like Xanalress, instead of cookie-cutter racial languages that feel like garbled English.

I pretty much blatantly copied most of the stuff here, in case you are wondering where I found this.

*EDIT* More stuff I made for people who are interested in this sort of thing:

See if you can translate it for fun.

A notice written in Common:
The same notice in Espruar (elven):
And this is Dethek (Dwarven):
And this is the notice in the Draconic writing system:
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.