Spell component overhaul.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Orian_666

Spell component overhaul.

Post by Orian_666 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 am

So, as stated in the title my suggestion is an overhaul for spell components.

First the reasons.
As it stands wizards and sorcerers are the only caster classes, half of those that can reach 7th-9th circle spells, that have a monetary cost placed on their spell casting. The average spell component sells for 1000 gold, so at that a 7th level spell costs a mage 200 gold, 8th 400 gold, 9th 600 gold, and many of the ESF abilities cost 1000 gold.
Comparing that to a Cleric or Druid their spells cost them a few minutes at an alter, or clicking on bushes.
Though it's not exactly bank breaking it is a bit annoying to have to invest flat gold, quite a bit over time too, into being able to cast their spells.

So, my suggestion. Create a new fixture, something like a simple table, called a "Component Preparation Table" or something like that, i'm sure the creative team can come up with a better name.
What this table does is it can be used by wizards or sorcerers with a spell component pouch in their inventory and, like praying, it will "tick" at intervals (something like double or triple the time per tick of praying to make the 50 charge capacity of the pouch seem similar to the 100% piety for a cleric), upon each tick it'll add a charge to the spell component pouch.

What this does is replaces the gold cost of casting spells, while still creating a need to actually do something, not unlike a cleric or druid, to earn the ability to use higher level magics. It will also create a fun extra RP aspect and immersive experience to being a mage.

These fixtures can be placed anywhere that makes sense. Thoraminds, The Tower, at least one in each settlements area that has magical relevance. Anywhere else that makes sense too. There can also be a crafted version, but it could be coded so that it can only be placed inside a player owned property, that way there won't be a bunch of mages hanging out outside The Nomad, for example, crafting up their spell components.

The Component system isn't a huge pain, but it is a bit of a pain. Especially the monetary cost for mages when clerics and druids can just pray a little while for it. I think this suggestion, or something similar to it, is a nice fix that still adds the need to actually to "something" to earn your components, like praying.