Local guard henchmen.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Orian_666

Local guard henchmen.

Post by Orian_666 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Right, hear me out on this one.

My suggestion is quite simple. Make an NPC in every settlement that allows government officials, and ranking guards of that settlements guard-force (that part may take some coding magic) to take on two guard NPCs as henchmen. These NPCs wouldn't be incredibly strong, but they should be able to hold their own to a small extent in a fight. They also can't be brought off the land owned/governed by that settlement, if someone tries to then they simply disappear like a tribals dismissed tribesmen with an emote along the lines of *Returns to their post* or something like that.

The reasons for this are simple:
-In situations like the recent war that we've been seeing where one side simply has far stronger PCs vs the defenders it gives a defending force that slight edge or an actual fighting chance against attackers, especially in situations where they are out leveled.
-It will make full scale raids something to think more seriously about. If people are planning to attack a settlement they now need to account for the possibility of a much larger and stronger defending force, which should be the case realistically.
-For low level, new character, law enforcement characters it gives them the strength to actually pose a threat to lawbreakers that, lets face it, rarely take the lowbies seriously while they're breaking the law. (Cordor for example) Even if there's an elite and two NPC guards within eyesight I've seen it time and time again where a high level PC simply brushes off the lowbie guard because they know if it came to blows, the only path that can be taken after constant disregard, that they'd win anyway. It's happened to characters of mine, and I've seen it happen to others too and it's really immersion breaking.
-And finally it would look really cool :D if a PC guard is doing their patrol around the streets of Cordor, or the halls of Brog, or the hills around Guld, it simply looks way better if they're accompanied by extra guardsmen, a squad so to speak.

A few things could be implemented so that it isn't abused.
First and foremost for example they could be coded so that if they're near a monster when it dies they effect the XP to always be 1-5. This way they can't be used in places like the land around Brog or Guldorand or Sibayad (higher level areas) to farm levels for a lowbie.
Another thing that could be implemented would be that if the PC that was controlling them dies then the guards persist for a couple turns, maybe 3-5, and remain hostile and aggressive to anyone that was hostile before the controlling PC died. This means that simply 1 shotting the lowbie guard doesn't "de-summon" them and thus doesn't remove the threat immediately.

I'm sure given proper consideration and discussion this suggestion could be expanded upon and better balanced but I think I've gotten the idea across appropriately.
Thanks for taking the time to read and consider it :D

EDIT: Just to add to this, another thing that could be done to keep it balanced and not abused is that they're on a timer from the moment they're activated. Maybe a RL half hour, or 15 minutes. This way there won't be half a dozen settlement PC guards or officials with their 2 henchmen walking around 24/7. They'd be situational;
Hear of an incoming attack? Great go grab the extra guards to help defend.
Hear of someone breaking the law that needs to be dealt with? Awesome, go grab a few guards and deal with them.
Heading out on a standard patrol? Great, bring some backup along with you!