Food/Water Overhaul!!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Orian_666

Food/Water Overhaul!!

Post by Orian_666 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:43 pm

So, here's the thing, as pointed out a few times to me in different OOC conversations the Food/Water system doesn't really add too much to RP but instead detracts from it.
I admit there is the odd time when folk will roleplay their eating and drinking, and RP in Taverns and Inns can be fun, but that's not the case most of the time. Most of the time it's just every few ticks someone will shove some food in their face or drink some water mid grind/RP... that's it.

So I suggest a complete overhaul of the Food/Water system.

First: Remove it from taking any effect each server tick (completely remove it from the % thingy), your Food/Water no longer "decreases".

Second: Add a new "clickable" in inns, taverns, some guildhouses, residences, and other relevant places across the server (it could be a few "special" chairs at a table, for example). What this will do, first of all, will simulate eating for a few seconds. Players enter an Inn or Tavern (these places can have a small cost attached to their use by the way, free for a player owned residence) and sit down to have a meal. So no more buying food or water.

Three: A buff. This could be 1 of a myriad of different potential things, first of all it'd be a "Well Fed" buff but what it does could be anything from;
- A minor increase to xp gain for its duration, either flat xp or just AdvXP.
- A +# to Uni saves or some stats/skills for its duration.
- Double AdvXP per tick for its duration. (if someone with 20 RPR is getting 40 each tick from their AdvXP pool they'd instead get 80.)
- A +1 regen for its duration. (Stacks with other sources)
I'm sure the team could come up with dozens of potential buffs for this.

Four: It could last an hour, and only be used once every 2-3 hours (or more). This gives a reason to RP sitting down for a meal, and will count as the "pre adventuring" fill of food depending on the buff gained.

Five: If sitting down to eat has been missed in any 2-3 hour period (stated above) then a debuff is introduced, same as before, lowered stats etc etc. Miss it, say, 10 times in a row (accumulative of online time that is) then you'd die of hunger/thirst. (Warning on the 7th, 8th, and 9th time you miss it that you're "dying of starvation".)

The logic behind this is simple. When something is encouraged for doing rather than punished for not doing, rewarded in this case, the players will generally make more of an effort to engage with it and make fun from it.
Currently however instead of rewarding players for doing it, eating/drinking, we're "punished" for not doing it. That makes it a chore rather than an immersive mechanic. People don't make an effort when the only reason they do it is to avoid the inevitable stat decrease.
I strongly feel adding an incentive like this will create more fun RP, especially for Inns and Taverns.