MoD Survival Guide

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

miesny_jez

MoD Survival Guide

Post by miesny_jez » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi All,

The idea of this thread is to share experiences on (not)dying as a MoD character and provide a 101 guide how to extend Your character lifetime as a MoD character.

Please share Your experiences of death situations.. which really pissed You, but You could have avoid them as a guide for other people. If You remember put in brackets how many times You died because of this reason.

I will start with mine to get an idea how should it look like:

THE MOD SURVIVALIST GUIDE:

1) Low levels - Invest in Elemental resistance (potions or wands with endure elements work best). You never know when You will find that Average Fire trap on Your path [could avoid deaths: 7]

2) Bind *prays* on Your actionbar on the first slot (the general slot not the one Ctrl or Shit) and don't be shy to use it when below 30% of hp. [could avoid deaths: 3]

3) Try to always have Your character above 30% of hp when in fight - crashes happen and when You are too low on hp the server may send You to Fugue when You crash [could avoid deaths: 2]

4) IF You die.. take a deep breath and better logout for a day - accidents happen in pairs [could avoid deaths: 3]

5) Healing Kit is Safer then a Potion, it doesn't provoke Attacks of Opportunity [could avoid deaths: 1]

6) Use WSAD (walking keys) when in enemy control zone - minimize the amount of attacks of opportunity, you never know when an enemy wants to Knockdown You [could avoid deaths: 1]

7) If You are a Melee - always have a shield in the inventory and binded on the action bar, even if You are only using two-handed weapons. Better to put a shield on and use a Healing Kit then use it without the shield [could avoid deaths: 1]

8) Guaji Root = Lifesaver. Don't be shy of running if You see Your chances are slim [could avoid deaths: 5]

9) If adventuring solo - don't rush into groups. Lure one at a time with a ranged weapon [could avoid deaths: 0]

10) Even if You have been in this area 100x times.. LURE don't rush in [could avoid deaths: 1]

11) When opening a chest ALWAYS leave Your summons at least 20m away from Yourself - if You activate an AoE trap the summons may aggro on You [could avoid deaths: 3]

12) If You use AoE spells when against a group of enemies when You have summons active.. watch who is Your summon attacking. I got killed by a mind-immune summon (Spidy) after casting Confusion into a group where the spidy was fighting [could avoid deaths: 2]

13) Aoe persistant effects (Darkness, Clouds) will make Your summon rampage [could avoid deaths: 2]

14) Don't AFK - the hunger/water/sleep ticks work even if You afk [could avoid deaths: 0]

15) If You drink too much alcohol -100% = You will die [could avoid deaths: 0]

16) Mid-High levels. When going into unknown areas, beside the usual healing supplies always have the following with You:
- Invisibilty Potions (4 min)
- Clarity potions (3 min)
- Prot from Negative energy
- Death Ward/Shadow Shield
- Lesser Restore or better even Antidote (2 min)
- Emergency Strength/Endurance potions
- Portal Lenses
- binded *prays* on the action bar
[could avoid deaths: 6]

17) Green aura around monster = FEAR. Start chugging on those Clarity potions [could avoid deaths: 1

18) Dragons JUMP - keep Clarity up all the time when fighting with them [could avoid deaths: 2

19) Any other aura around monster - send a summon first to assess[could avoid deaths: 0

20) New areas - let the summon go first - chances are it will trigger traps instead of You [could avoid deaths: 1

21) If Melee do the maths when fighting - enemy AB vs Your AC, if he/she can hit You more then 50% of his rolls means that this is not the place for You [could avoid deaths: 0

22) If You failed the first saving throw against an Iron Golem poison (can get from Your own golem as well) - DRINK Antidote immediately, second failed save will mean death.[could avoid deaths: 0

23) Don't walk overburdened [could avoid deaths: 1]

24) High levels. Fighting an unknown humanoid creature - better drink that Clarity ... just in case it can cast a Stun/Fear/Confusion [could avoid deaths: 1]

25) If possible, don't Adventure Alone - the GOLDEN RULE

Lorkas

Re: MoD Survival Guide

Post by Lorkas » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:39 pm

26) Never get turned into a werewolf while travelling with others [1]

27) If your party is forced to kill you with their summoned creatures after you turn into a werewolf, log off before they can raise you without remembering to turn off the hostile state [1]

28) Before planning how you will win the next encounter, plan how you will retreat from it if things don't go the way you want. [1]

29) If one of your party members charges a powerful group of enemies before you can make a plan, do not follow them. It's far better to stay back and make a plan with the rest of your group to defeat the mob and then raise your party member than it is to charge after them and suffer a TPK (and MoD life loss). [1]

30) Have a dispel contingency plan. Know precisely which buffs you need to reapply first and which can wait. For me the first buff back up is usually improved invisibility, followed by other defensive buffs. [0, nearly 1]

31) If you have a few individual buffs that are absolutely crucial to your success, reassess the duration of them before engaging. Forgetting this can leave you surrounded and compromised very quickly [1]

32) Never fight a barbarian shaman until you can survive several minutes against their whole group while you're flat-footed. [2]

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:38 pm

33) Casters are without fail your #1 nightmare. Have a way to counter their damage, or find a way to slaughter them first.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:35 am

34) Don't go into the Stone Gauntlet. [6]

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Don't take off a helm, that has a CON enchantment on it, after being raised and at 1 HP, for RP purposes of talking to your raiser ...

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:03 pm

LeatherLeaf wrote:Don't take off a helm, that has a CON enchantment on it, after being raised and at 1 HP, for RP purposes of talking to your raiser ...
Can just toggle it in the crafting menu and keep it on mechanically.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:12 pm

RamblerTeo wrote:
LeatherLeaf wrote:Don't take off a helm, that has a CON enchantment on it, after being raised and at 1 HP, for RP purposes of talking to your raiser ...
Were you here for the days before they added a toggle for helms? If not, it's a more recent thing, sometime last year I believe.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:09 pm

-Take levels in favored soul, stick around the Nomad and offer to heal/revive folks for a small fee.

-Never leave the Nomad.

-Never.

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Kreydis wrote:
RamblerTeo wrote:
Were you here for the days before they added a toggle for helms? If not, it's a more recent thing, sometime last year I believe.
People should be aware of the new mechanic, though.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:44 am

RamblerTeo wrote:
Kreydis wrote:
RamblerTeo wrote:Can just toggle it in the crafting menu and keep it on mechanically.
People should be aware of the new mechanic, though.
Mechanically what happens when you change the appearance of a piece of gear though is that the item disappears and a new item with the new appearance appears in the same slot. I wonder if this counts as unequipping the helm (it certainly reapplies other properties and resends the server messages about things like arcane spell failure and DEX penalty.

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:34 pm

Yes
Kreydis wrote:
RamblerTeo wrote:
Yes ... it was back in the ol' days :P

Krivoklat

Post by Krivoklat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:55 am

(36) Keep track of your lives.
just your INGAME Journal to record the number of deaths you suffer. Know this so that when you are down to #1, you don't think you have 2 left and do something dumb thinking you've still got one life left.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:58 am

(37) Consider a stealther or caster if going MoD. Both types of characters have the advantages of being able to not be noticed (one because of stealth, the other because of summon or perhaps invisibility). If the character is not being targeted, they are less likely to die.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat May 14, 2016 2:06 am

(38) If playing a low HP char or spellcaster class, apply invisibility before transitioning in dungeons or wilderness, you never know what kind of nasty mobs someone else left by the transition while fleeing.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:43 am

(39) Run. Run often.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:53 pm

(40) After escaping a PvP encounter, never return to the same encounter - even if agreed with the other party, you'll get your butt kicked, because MoD [1]

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:35 am

I'll share with you how I still manage to keep a single MOD character alive since the time Horse Rider Gift Token first became available on Arelith (about 2-3 years ago?)

I got him a horse, and I got him a bow. I never get in to PVP. I ride off when there's trouble, and stay waaaaay back in battle to shoot arrows. When hostiles spot me, I drink the invisibility potion and run away to a town and stay there for a loooooong time.

And yeah... Stick to hunting goblins even if your hp's up in hundreds XD
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:45 pm

(41) Never cast spells as a Wild Mage or in the Underdark. 'Nuff said [Times my own spell killed me: 1]

PenguinNinja

Post by PenguinNinja » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:53 am

(42) Don't put yourself in a rock and a hard place (literally) in FoD, and get stuck and surrounded by angry trees till you die. [1]

(43) Don't go to FoD unless you have high strength. [1]

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:32 pm

[44] If you know you're going to be held or paralyzed soonish. Toggle improved expertise and curl your toes. And understand it can take up to a round-worth of time before it is toggled on.

PenguinNinja

Post by PenguinNinja » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:37 pm

[45] If you're paralyzed and 10 feet from a Slithering Tracker, go home.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:18 pm

[46] Keep in mind that Healing Kits makes you flat footed, and that potions do not. [4]
If you play a high dexterity character and lack Uncanny Dodge I, it might be a good idea to invest in Cooking and craft dozens of Potion of Heals(which heal 155hp each). If you have Tumble or Spring attack, simply disengage from the melee foes, drink a potion, and return to the fight. (if you're caught in the middle, a potion may still be a better idea. My character looses 20 AC when flat footed, I'll take the free attacks over that loss)

[47] Know how much your healing methoed heals, use it as soon as you have lost that much HP, even if youre still in a comfortable range. (no harm in using it sooner if the situation calls for such)

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 am

[48] Be mindful of your ammunition and consumables from arrows, to healing kits, and potions. After each encounter check your inventory and adjust your strategy according to what you have, or possibly go to the nearest settlement. Likewise every time you enter and right before you exit a settlement, check your inventory to see what essential items and consumbles you need and resupply. [2]

[49] Similarly, be aware of the damage on all of your equipped items. If an item's durability gets low during an adventure retreat. Don't make your character have to fight naked! Do your best to keep your items in tip-top shape. [2]

[50] Take crafting skill points that will allow you to repair your most important pieces of gear. If you do not have plans for your daily crafting points, use what you can to repair as much of your gear as possible every time you are in town. Crafting points refresh and you get enough to keep most of your gear in good condition, so make sure you use them regularly or else hundreds of points are going to waste. [2]

[51] Make sure all of your characters needs are met, and bring travel provisions and water with you. Really this is just a given and is important for every character, but it is easy to forget about food and water sometimes, as well as rest. As a MoD be very very careful with your statuses, as even more is at stake. You should also keep your piety high, because god-raises and *prays* are your friend. [1]

Wise words from a drill sergeant: "Mind your P's privates. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance"

Oh the year was 1778...

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:44 am

[52] Check dead space. Put simply, when travelling or exploring an area check the hills, cliffs, walls, and corners that are nearby your path. Dead space is space within your range, that you don't have line of sight to. Even if you are just travelling on a road, poke around hills and cliffs that are nearby the road. Enemies can get the drop on you, and sometimes when you engage one group of enemies a group that you missed because they were in dead space will wander over and join the fray. You don't have to stray too far from your path. And be sure that you actually climb hills and cliffs when you check them out to thoroughly investigate. [2]

[Edit] Climbing a top a hill to scan an area helps.

Oh the year was 1778...

Waddles
Location: Somewhere west of the prime meridian. Or east if you enjoy the scenic route.

Post by Waddles » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:23 pm

[53] If playing on a community connection (libraries, your local laundry mat, etc) assess how it deals with wards, enemy spawns, flashy spells, etc. and adjust your setting accordingly. Also ensure there are no scheduled 'down times' for that which you are borrowing. [0]