The Drow

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Realoms

The Drow

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:19 am

I’ve been a fairly consistent and avid UD player since 2006 and this has been (with the exception of a brief spell where I played a kobold) inevitably as a part of the drow community. This thread is compilation of various drow related lore and subjects (both canon and arelith related) that I’ve collected over the past 6, almost 7, years.

Every post in this thread, will cover specific topics and ideas as well as rumours that are frequently passed around about the drow race.
If anyone wishes to see a specific topic covered, please send me a PM and I’ll see what I can, if bones want to be picked also, please send me a PM.

Much of the information here regarding Udos is historical. I am not saying it applies perfectly towards the current, but there is no doubt a lot of drow culture can fit in with the current theme.

Please note though, except for quotes and some circumstances, this will not be copy and pasting from the source books upon drow, however the information in these sources books is none the less stuff I’m quite aware of. As such I'd like to ask that this guide or parts of it (written by myself or others) is distributed at all without asking the writer of said section.
And yes, I will add anything sent in a PM, and edit/update this when I can.

Realoms

Re: The Drow

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:24 am

The Social Ranking System.
This is first for one reason, in my experience when people ask or talk about drow it is the first thing that shows up more often than not.
Now first thing is first, the Arelith ranking system is in many ways both similar and dissimilar to the ranks shown in lore and novels.
Secondly: The ranking system is not absolute and shouldn’t be treated as such. It’s also worth noting there are seemingly many contradictions in said system.
So here are the overall ranks as posted on the Arelith website. I’ll go through some of the ranks and dissect the system after.
This typically, also only applies in a Lolthite society, many others will have different ways of dealing with social hierarchy
Ilharess (10) - Matron Mother
Ulath’tallar (8) - Archpriestess
Ul'Faeruk/Ul’Faeress (7) Archwizard (male/female)
Ul'Saruk/Saress (7) Warlord/Warlady
Ul'Vegluk/Ul’Veldriss (7) – Head Assassin (male/female)
Yath Tallar (7++) - High Priestess
Qu'el'Faeruk (6) – House Mage
Qu'el'Saruk/Saress (6) - House Weapon Master
Qu'el'Vegluk/Veldriss (6) - House Assassin
Yathrin (6++) - Priestess
Faern (6) - Wizard
Sutrinos (6) - Commander
C'Rintri (6+) - A noble with no other rank
M'elzar (5) - Mage
Draada’quarthin (Draada) (5) - (essentially) soldier
Yath Abban (4++) - Acolyte
Zhuanin (3) - (roughly) initiate
Sargtlin (3) - Recruit
Temple Servant (Unconfirmed Yath Abban) (3+)
Ssins D'Aerth ("Entertainer") (2) - A Ssins d’Aerth is more or less literally a prostitute, this has been changed here.
Shebali (1) – A rogue or Houseless (see below) drow without rank
Wanre/All others (0) - A wanre is a servant, typically drow.
Rothe – This is also the word for slave, these things are without any rank and should be barely considered as worthy of attention by your typical drow (please note: I don’t encourage outright ignoring these players.).

A closer look
A relevant aside: This system actually came under fire a few years ago and a newer, more updated version was made by multiple players of different well known and important characters, though it never got changed on the website. The “updated version” (as proposed by Alydra Eilisar (Crybabybot/Trish) Flux’sin (Fluxes), Norfildor, Legodia (Legionnaire Maximus), Reva Xymox (LostinCyber?), Szintala and Jahn’lara Vraevir (FiretrollsStumpy? And Ronin respectively), Phyr’Ylene Dy’Nin- I think- (Dunlop77) and some others + myself) included clarifications and a few missing ranks, it also did away with the +/- idea…then got lost and fell apart when the forums were changed.

The main differences aside from a removal of the +/- was the inclusion of ignoble Matrons and a clarification of First-Second-Third etc Daughters/Sons and “In House ranks”.

Ignoble Matrons were decided to be above a Yath’tallar- regardless of level- but below both the Ulath’tallar and the noble matrons. However an ignoble matron, has no direct power inside the walls of the academies, which the Yath’tallar does. They have given up the academy rank for a city wide one. Their only power within academies comes from their House members within it. Outside the academy, they’re as strong as their house, even if not noble.

Firstly a look at the Ssin d’Aerth. A Ssin d’Aerth, in lore is a performer yes, ultimately however they’re prostitutes. This said, they are not just prostitutes, but often assassins and spies. It is generally considered poor form to turn away a bard if you can afford their services, because it shows overt paranoia (remember, every drow is paranoid but the trick is to never show it). They typically boast a wide range of skills from poetry, flattery and song through to dance, massaging and skill with herbs, poultices and oils.
On Arelith however the prostitution part of this role in drow society has been largely eliminated due to a movement started by Cuchilla mainly, that caught on, focussing instead upon the other skills a Ssin d’Aerth may possess. (Also, PG-13)

C’Rintri are noble family members who have no rank outside of simply being born a noble. Technically they out rank noble members of low ranks in the academy. It should be carefully noted that while they appear high on the rank list that their ONLY source of power is their family name. The moment their House falls, or their family slips down the ladder, they do as well and unlike academy members they have nothing else to cling on to. They also must show respect to the clergy. Why? Because if they’re a male, a female priestess is still a priestess and therefore usually worth more.

This next lot is going to go in a group, but Qu’el’Saruk, Qu’el’Faeruk, Qu’el’Velguk, First Daughter, Second Daughter (and so on), Elder Boy, Second boy and Third boy and Patrons (Ilharn, which I'll cover later). These are “in house ranks”. What this means is that it really doesn’t matter that you’re Qu’el’Saruk Xeth’re’dane outside of House Xeth’re’dane. Or that you’re First Daughter Xymox outside the membership of Xymox. (Yes, I’ll use my own Houses/characters as examples to avoid any contension.)
Why? Because outside your house it is your city rank that is important. Every house has these ranks in it. If you’re the Qu’el’Saruk of the 1st House and the Ul’Saress is in the 2nd house, it doesn’t matter, the Ul’Saress comes first (In terms of the Magthere, this is. She would do well to offer respect to the First House none the less, assuming they aren’t a member of the 1st house). First Daughters are not super special almighty beings, and Elder Boys are still male. The fact is, in a house these titles are incredibly important as they dictate the leaders of different factions within a house, outside a house they’re irrelevant because city ranks are used.

Ilharns, or Patrons, are the Matron's current favourite bed partner. This rank is also quite irrelevant outside the house in every way. A few things should be noted: They're only as important as their matron wants them to be. They're completely disposable at all times (they are males after all). Finally, the rank is like others above, worthless outside the House because frankly, no one likely really cares.

Matron vs Ilharess
This is a debate that comes up fairly often. Noble Matrons are called Ilharess and ignoble matrons are simply Matron. Well, technically they’re the exact same. The idea of separating these two titles is rather silly. Ilharess literally means Matron Mother (Mother is Ilhar in Xanalress and ‘ess’ would seem to be a suffix added to a female title worthy of respect). If you’re separating these two what you are essentially doing to using common mixed with xanalress, which by all reasoning makes no sense. Furthermore the rank itself is Matron Mother [insert house name], however there are issues with having multiple words being translated into a single one as Fireboar said therefore ‘Matron’ translates to Ilharess because its simpler as well. There is no reason to try separate the rank into two categories like this.

Espadon is not a real drow rank. It is the sorcerous equivalent to an archwizard on Arelith but really, it was a rank that was created by one of the Ul’Faeruks.

A Faerz’un’arr is a priestess. They are in more or less every way just a Yathrin however they also oversee the Sorcere. As such they wield more power within the confines and administration of Sorcere. It should also be noted that this is not a permanent rank, it can be created and removed at the whim of the Ulath’tallar. This is the one rank that is incorrect on the main website. It states a faerz'un'arr would be a female Ul'Faeruk, infact the female equivalent would be Ul'Faeress.

The last rank I'm going to put up for now is the Valsharess. A Valsharess is literally the Queen of the drow in a given region. Predictably it isn't a common occurance for a drow to reach this rank. Circa 2007, Flux'sin d'Aerth became Udos' only ever Valsharess (correct me if I'm wrong-Jagel, Norf..or someone older than me). The Valsharess' word is absolute law, even the noble matrons must obey her commands and she has final authority over any matter. It should be noted that to be Valsharess, one must show strength over the Matrons, or have them show fealty/submission to her and once a Valsharess is crowned, it’s a permanent place just as being Matron is until Lloth personally (via proxy of a Yochlol or in person) declares otherwise, or she dies.

On the side.

The +/- is confusing in many ways. It offers no clear way to judge whom is higher than whom is one of the rank holders is a noble or cleric. What the system proposed by those above recommended is best put into two rules: If they're a cleric, you show it respect. The Temple dominates any Llothite society and her clerics are supreme, it is not uncommon for non-clerical females to be thought of as lesser. Whether you're the archmage or warlord, or some poor street cleaner, clerics are the interpreters of Lloth and deserve respect.
The second rule was if its a female, show it some respect. Women are Lloth's favoured sex, as such its generally wiser to offer them some respect when dealing with them, particularly clerics, but in general as well.

Lastly for this entry: The Absoluteness of the Social System.

The fact is though, despite all this, at the end of the cycle the social system is not perfect. Infact it’s anything but perfect and just because one is rank 10 and a Matron, does not necessarily grant the world below to oneself.

There is a lot to be said in the fact that if someone is stronger than you, and a few or many people know this is true, or a higher ranked character is somehow indebted to a lower ranked one, it should be said that the higher ranked character is in a weaker position. Naturally, the more who know this, the more dangerous this situation is for the higher ranked one, and thusly the idea of being a rank 10 is unbalanced and tipped in favour of the lower ranked one. In this way, there is a small flux of power, if a Matron is weaker (this needn’t be powerbuilding terms, being weaker for X reason in Rp is awesome for politics. Let’s face it, if you’re an high ranked drow, it is political RP at some point) than the Archpriestess and everyone knows it, the Matron would do well to show some respect. The reverse however, is also true and so on, so forth, if the Archpriestess is put in power due to a High Priestess enabling it, the Archpriestess is living on borrowed time and favouritism of a stronger person. So whilst it looks like it works perfectly, undercurrents, and RP and certain characters make it otherwise.
Phoenix wrote: Pretty interesting read, it clears some things up.

It would be nice with some expanding of the other ranks, like shebali or wanre. Also would be useful to know what status roughly a person of rank 3 or 5 or whatever would have in drow society, rather than just ranking them by number and knowing who to bow to like it does on the website. Information like that would help in roleplaying drow.
Wanre, Rothe and Shebali are all separated by a thin line.

Nearly all drow cities have slaving laws. These laws never say slaves are illegal, I will cover these laws eventually, but for now~ this is just to help clarify these three ranks up.

Wanre is a servant. These are usually drow servants and it can be passed down the family, they're below all others because they are denied any chance of ever raising their stations except for perhaps, by a very generous Matron or Yath'tallar. They're literally the bottom of the pecking order, because servitude is weakness and wanre live in servitude.

Rothe are like wanre, but they aren't drow. As such their lives are worth even less than a wanre's. Rothe is literally a slave (here's where the above laws come in) most drow cities forbid drow slaves because it degrades the drow race as a whole, this is why they're wanre. However for any other race, being treated as a drow servant is essentially unthinkable, and thusly they really are slaves.

Shebali are perhaps the most diverse category of drow. These are in many senses the common folk. They are not unfortunate enough to be born a wanre, they are free drow, but they have no rank in house or academy. This effectively means they're lower class to the aristocracy. However, these drow can still live a life but when the nobles want something from these, they get it. There is also absolutely nothing saying that these drow cannot be moderately wealthy, as the rank of shebali may include some merchants. However for these drow, the life at the academy or in the houses is most often not something that is just 'hard to get into', it’s an impossibility to get in to.

The numerical numbers in the ranking system are really of lesser importance to facts such as "Is it female", 'is it a cleric' (or a wizard in some societies, a necromancer in others...more on this sort of thing later) or 'is it noble'. However if you were discuss each rank:
Ranks 1-3 (on the website, these are tier 4)

These are the very bottom of society and/or their academy. What to expect? All the worst chores, the cleaning, the washing, the fetching and the menial labour. In this stage you know where you want to be, but you aren't there yet and its a long way off. These are the ones who're subserviant to near all others. In theory.

4-6

These ranks are all confirmed. At this level in the academy, your rank is firmly secured until you're displaced. These are drow deserving respect, they can make life difficult for those below them and they're typically dangerous enough to be troublesome in a fight. This is also where nobles come in to it, they're here because they're above the average and ordinary in society. That said, remember what was pointed out earlier: They have little except their house name. Furthermore, the in house ranks are here because they are expected to be skilled and generally are also holders of one of the ranks in this tier.

7-10

These are the elite and leaders of a Llothite city. They have almost complete control over their respective areas of influence and can make death more preferable to life for those below them. It these select few who are typically obeyed unquestioningly and they should be striving to maintain an active presence in the ctiy, enforcing their (and those few above them, and Lloth's) will. Furthermore they are amongst the best in their fields.

Jagel
A take on the relationship between ranks and power

The ranks are a guideline. There is a strict hierachy but it is also very confusing and with plenty of room for interpretations. Very fitting for a deity like Lloth who's first law is "don't get caught". If you can trick someone of a higher station into dancing to your tune then more power to you

A rather (un)popualar* theory from the social sciences argues that:

- Power is not an absolute. It doesn't have a central source.
- Power is not held or possesed. It exists in the relations between structures, institutions, and, ultimately, people.
- Power is not a limiting, repressing force. It is productive. When power is used, it creates stuff (for lack of a better word)

What does this have to do with drow?, you ask. There is a difference between being of a high rank and being powerful. A high ranking drow has a range of tools at their disposal in order to excercise power. The most obvious is of course "pulling rank". I am so and so, such and such of this and this and you should do as I ask". The subtext of such a proclamation is that one should recognize this individual as one of power and follow her/his orders. But there are ways to make a "counter-pull" and renegotiate the power relation.

So a character can posses no formal rank but still be able to use (not have) power. Being head-honcho of Pit Town for instance gives no formal rank in the Udos Dro'Xun. But I'd speculate it will still be able to grant influence in the Udos Dro'Xun depending on how one relates to other characters.

The best example of a character with literally no formal power is Chana the merchant. Weak, meek and a real push-over. Still a very, very influential character who is able to pull a lot of strings.

All in all: rank is an indication of the power a character can wield but there is more to it than simply deciding "my station is this, I should be able to boss those people around".

* Depending on personal preferences

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 am

Moving on. The next three posts will cover the academies, if you want something explained or a further elaboration please send me a PM and I'll write up an answer. Then I'll do a section on each of the Dark Seldarine, followed by drow rituals, city management styles, Houses and drow magical items.

The Temple

Arach-Tinilith: Arach Tinilith is a very specific temple to Lloth. It is not the name every temple to Lloth either. This is the Temple of Lloth in the academy of Menzoberranzan.

In any Llothite city the temple is one of the 'powers that be' it the role of the Temple is train and prepare new priestesses, but also to ensure the rest of the drow do not grow unruly and stay in line.
The Temple is headed by the Arch-Priestess (Ulath'tallar). She however not only rules the temple, but all three academies are directly under her control. Even the Matrons are not quite so powerful as she within the walls of the academies.

The arrangement of ranks in the Temple: In a cannon temple- there would be dozens of priestesses. However Arelith doesn't quite have that population, pre-cataclysm there were candles enough so that there could be 8 official priestesses, 4 high priestesses and 1 arch-priestess at any time with an infinite number of spaces for acolytes.

The main duty of the Temple is to receive, interpret, deliver and carry out the will of Lloth. It further serves as an educational administrator, the temple is the faction that decides what is too dangerous (philosophically dangerous, drow do not much care if something is too physically dangerous in education). Essentially it makes sure what is taught is “right” in accordance to the city’s rulers and Lloth.

The Temple building serves a functional purpose beyond all of this however; within the temple is where most ceremonies occur. With the exception of a few house based ones, and Houses which have a shrine to rival the temple, the building serves as the place for most closed (Clerics only) and open door (public) rituals.

It is also worth noting that the temple is not a single entity- so to speak- it is a faction that is often heavily divided by infighting between different priestesses. This fighting can be vying for a better standing (becoming a high or arch priestess) or to increase the influence of their house. All priestesses carry out Lloth’s will above all else however. This is important since Lloth’s will is more important than even a Matron’s.

The power of the Temple, in a Llothite society, is actually so great it can in exceptional circumstances declare houses disfavoured by Lloth (Note this is never done lightly for the sake of removing a singular rival, and any drow who tried to use it for such should fear Lloth's wrath). Furthermore due to the power of the High Priestesses as proxies for Lloth (Matrons are nearly invariably High Priestess- they lack however a direct voice inside the academy), they can on rare occasions overrule a Matron's decision.

Joining the Temple
All priestesses of Lloth must be divine spellcasters, this is the first and arguably most important thing about joining the Temple.

Secondly, drow priestesses are often subjected to tests by higher ranking priestesses and by Lloth (usually delivered by her handmaidens the Yochlol) herself.

Thirdly, the Temple only takes in women. Being a female is a requirement to being a priestess of Lloth. Lloth does on very rare occasions (these are extremely exceptional and rare, mind) allow a male to become up to a 7th level cleric of Lloth. Even if this happens they are not allowed in the Temple. Arguably, they should fear the temple all the more for it.

However warlocks who specifically forge a pact with a demon of Lloth may join the Temple despite technically being arcanists (Source: Drow of the Underdark). These very few women become priestesses (despite being arcanists), not second grade, lower class or subservient to the clerical priestesses. For all intents and purposes, they are treated just as clerical priestesses are (and can become any associated ranks, though it'd be through different means most likely) it would be very unlikely that these women do not also have some clerical levels still however in most settings/scenarios/cases. Given how small this group is, it is also far more likely that clerics will hold major positions simply due to the proportions of clerics:warlocks. This is the only exception stated in drow sourcebooks to the divine caster rule.

Other things to note.

In canon: Most high priestesses are noble. It is nearly impossible to reach this station without a powerful family name.

Most noble females attend this academy, those who do not are often deemed as failures or lesser.

Lloth is capricious, perhaps not so on Arelith but certainly she is, she will often strip priestesses of powers for slights against her and show exceptional favour to a handful at a time.

There is no specific training for priestesses beyond what is necessary and set up by Temples in their respective city.
Please PM anything you'd like elaborated or request added to this section.

Okay, this is another part for the Temple, but also not necessarily the main part of it.

The Killian Yath

Let me start with this: There is no lore version of the Killian'Yath. This is a group founded on Arelith by Nath'Aered Kil'Zynge due to a disagreement between himself and Kirraz about the Magthere. (Jagel, please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here)

Jagel adds: When they first started they were far more militant than what they became as time passed. He also points out that they weren't into stealth and were full plater wearers.

The Killian Yath are a small group of non-priestess who are sworn to serve the Temple and the priestesses above all else. This includes both the Houses and the Ilharessen.

It would not be uncommon for a Killian Yath to take the side of a Houseless Priestess over that of a Housed priestess however, because the Houses tend to protect their own well enough.

The Role of the Killian
The Killian are utterly subserviant to the Yath, and the Yath's command take precedence here, but the word of a higher priestess is more important than a lower one's.

They serve as quiet, shadowy hands, eyes and ears of the Temple. They enforce the will of the Temple (especially the Archpriestess) and collect information to be passed on. They also serve as assassins and bodyguards to the priestesses.

The Killian Yath are not show ponies, this role gives them no rank and it allows them to take no other rank. But it does afford them the ears of the priestesses of Lloth and some of the Temple's protection.

Whilst the Killian may report suspected heresy, the final call on such is inevitably up to the clerics themselves. (Note: Priestesses are above suspicion of a Killian, not eachother's but a Killians, yes)

A killian cannot/should not harm any individual priestess or the temple as a whole either (Though they may and have been used to kill off weaker clerics by the higher ups in the heirachy).

There was, for some time, two killian from each house and two from no house. This enabled the Houses a connection to the temple, and the temple equal amounts of eyes in each house. More recently there have only been houseless Killian.

Despite other affliations however, at the end of the day the temple comes before any House and the word of a priestess before anything else. Even an acolyte's word is nearly* law to the killian until overridden.

*Nearly is used here, because a Killian should still show respect to the acolyte/priestess/high priestess but may yet discuss particularly heretical/anti-temple sounding orders with a higher ranked yath.

The typical uniform of a Killian was black, with visible red, it could include other colours and rarely/never included gold, because the killian are supposed to be above house affairs.

The training for a killian was also a vigorous process and it was not a faction easily entered. It involved gruelling tests and brutal punishments for failure. Membership was not something one could pick up and leave at whim either, it was a permanent membership until the faction was (not entirely successfully) disbanded.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:27 am

The Sorcere

The Sorcere is the mage tower (The actual Sorcere is Menzoberranzan's name for it. Other places may use a different name). It is the second most powerful of the academies- right behind the Temple- and as such the magi of a city tend to be watched very carefully.

It serves multiple functions in a drow society, not the least of which is the tuition of any aspiring mage. The Sorcere is also in many ways a giant magical library and research space. In this way the Sorcere serves the dual function of being a massive collection of lore, research and magical knowledge as well as a fully functioning academy.

The Sorcere serves another purpose as well, or rather the private collections of certain magi often do. Within the walls of the Sorcere, there will be, normally, a great collection of rare magical items, scrolls, wands, potions and enchanted goods.

The Sorcere is often watched over by ever wary priestesses of Lloth, because their power could almost rival the Spider Queen's faithful. To this extent overseeresses and spies are often integrated. However ultimately the Sorcere is below the Temple and as such the Archpriestess has right to mobilise, take control of and direct the efforts of the Sorcere.

The Ul'Faeruk (Archmage) is the highest position any male may ever hope to gain in the Llothite city system. It is an exceedingly prestigious rank and rarely held by one who is not (born or adopted) noble.

Joining the Sorcere

This is usually done via arrangement to become apprenticed to a qualified mage.

All Arcanists are welcome to the ranks the Sorcere, though wizards are typically the prominent group.

Often the mages will discuss things as a Council (small or large) when it affects their academy but it all falls down to the Archmage still none the less

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:27 am

The Melee-Magthere

The Academy of Warriors. This is the least politically powerful of all three academies. Which also makes it one of the easier ones to gain access to, particularly without a noble name.

The first and foremost role of the Melee Magthere is to train young drow in the arts of war and fighting- in accordance to drow standards. However every drow passing through an academy tends to spend at least a small time learning within the walls of this academy and very rarely will one skip this stage.

A drow city does not have one singular army. Instead each house maintains their own army and if the city is threatened, they rise to the occasion and band together (survival is tantamount to the drow- despite their ways). In this the Magthere serves to make sure there is some standardization of the fighting styles employed by the drow which are then adapted slightly by individual houses and should a drow city come under threat, is the Commanders and warlord(lady) who should be expected to lead the soldiers (after the fodder is expended).

As nearly every drow works with, or trains in the Melee-Magthere, nearly every house would typically aspire to have a well ranked member within it. This serves two purposes: it keeps an eye on the young ones coming in so a House can pick up new talent and secondly, it serves to keep an eye on the melee forces of other houses.

The Temple rarely considers the Melee Magthere a threat to their rule however. Afterall it comes down to the will of a goddess and a force of soldiers. This means they do not bother with placing overseers within the magthere often, if at all.

(Noble) Females in this academy usually have a very gruelling task ahead of them to become respected. They usually have shown that they have no aptitude for divine magic/the favour of Lloth and minimal-nil ability in the arcane. Therefore they've been put here. That said, some females can and have thrived here though they nearly always start at a severely disadvantaged position.

The title of Ul'Saruk or Ul'Saress, is usually given the most widely recognised, strongest/most cunning/most skilled warrior of the academy in the city. As such, even if it is below the Ul'Faeruk, it is still an incredibly prestigious position to hold. All decisions about the academy, training, patrols and strategies usually come down to (if an academy affair) or involve the holder of this rank (if it a city wide affair)

The Ul'Saruk/Saress also answers to the Archpriestess, she is the ruler of all three academies, not just the Temple afterall and is not usually in as high esteem as the Ul'Faeruk. (One can argue exceptions, like Kirraz and Legodia Mefeslent)

Joining the Melee Magthere

If one doesn't belong to a noble house or have the ability for the other two academies, the Melee Magthere is the obvious choice.

Typically the process is started by finding a recognised soldier to become the master whilst the applicant becomes the student, and this process continues until the applicant has proven themself capable.

The applicant then must continue to prove themself, winning melee tournaments, attending meetings and classes and (possibly) removing a superior in order to win their way up to the rank of Commander.

The training system of the melee magthere, however, is particularly brutal. Usually both patrols and tournaments are used as part of the norm for training purposes and this doesn't always include anti-death wards. However it should be noted that killing while on a patrol with a group is frowned upon- even by the drow (there's nothing wrong with killing them, just the fact you’ve weakened a city’s defensive and usually slowed the patrol along the way).

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:28 am

The Velkyn

Officially? They don't exist. Every drow knows the opposite is true however.
Unlike the other academies though, the Velkyn is not consistent and is only in existance when a group of players make it so. This means each incarnation is often entirely different.

This is the academy dedicated to the arts of subterfuge. While many houses have assassins, this is a group dedicated to it. The Velkyn specialise in murder, theft, planting and retrieval of evidence, collection of information, spreading of lies and rumours. This is also the academy that trains, prepares and helps would-be assassins and thieves that're deemed worthy.

The members of this organisation are nearly always kept hidden, but often speculated about once their reputation spreads. Furthermore, their loyalty is often to eachother or to a singular matron or woman over anything else.

To reach this academy/organisation one often need only start word circulating, or leave messages at designated places. This done, it is more than likely that the Velkyn will find the seeker of their services. Usually through an agent or heavy disguises the details are then worked out and the service can be performed, for a suitable price usually.

The Ul'Velguk/Veldriss, is not a person who seeks the spot light. In fact their rank is often not even known, but rather whispered about. This individual is a scary one though and often they can pull a great many strings from their shadows despite overtly not being worth all too much.

Joining the Velkyn

Typically one does not simply join the Velkyn. Rather a series of tasks (often in riddle form) must be completed or one is observed and if found worthy enough, taken into their ranks.

Unlike other academies which are mutually exclusive, the Velkyn has little qualms about placing members in both the Sorcere and Melee-Magthere. This offers them a unique opportunity to take in members who show high amounts of skill.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:35 am

The Dark Seldarine
These are the gods of the drow. All are undeniably evil, with the exception of Eilistraee, although none are what could be called pacifists. In this section, I'll do a bit on Lloth, Vhaeraun, Eilistraee, Ghaunadaur, Selvetarm Kiaransalee and Zinzerena.

Lloth

Lloth is the undisputed leader of the Dark Seldarine (as far as they have a single leader at least).

Relations (and a bit of history)

Lloth is the main goddess of the drow, and in many ways their patron. She was cast out of Arvandor, into the abyss where she changed from Araunshee to Lloth. This casting out is what led to the chism between elves and drow, after Araushee tried to invade and overtake Arvandor. However, perhaps, more importantly this is what led to the deepset feud between Lloth and the Seldarine.

Since this occurence, Lloth and her children, Vhaeraun and Eilistraee, (as well as the rest of the Dark Seldarine) have been cast out, although Eilistraee was granted reprieve by Corellon.

In any dealings, she is invariably described as malicious, cruel, cold and manipulative. Despite this she has a particular loathing of Sehanine Moonbow, and Fenmarel (who spurned her advances while she was Araushee). This said, she makes enemies out of both her children (though she loves Vhaeraun's constant schemes to overthrow her), Ghaunadaur (who's advances she rejected), Gruumsh and the rest of the Seldarine.

On occasion however, she has been known to ally herself with Loviatar and Malar.

Important notes

It is important to note that Lloth is extremely "hands on". Essentially, she often takes a direct hand in her the lives of the drow who worship her. She has been known to spare her favoured from death (She saved First house Baenre from House Oblodra through Wendonai), and demand their deaths (She called for Drizz't's repeatedly) and for those who fall into disfavour, she often blocks all spells and marks them targets for other ambitious drow, or sets them a series of trials. It is also worth noting her favour is fickle and only the highest priestesses seem to constantly be aware of it.

Lloth is worshipped for power, social status and the fear she brings moreso than out of devotion. Make no mistake, the drow can and often are incredibly devoted, but her favour and religion has also become something of convenience to keep drow society as it is.

Sacrifices

Lloth has a preference for sentient and conscious sacrifices when being offered blood. However if this is not possible, she will accept nearly any expensive item as a token of tribute and her clerics are expected to submit themselves in prayer before/after every reverie or rest (this is rather convenient with the nwn rest system).

If however a blood sacrifice is an elf, she would have it done on the night of a full moon as a direct affront to Sehanine Moonbow. If this type of sacrifice can be done on the surface even better!

Blood sacrifices are usually done with a spider shaped knife, with eight legs that make up the blade.

Rituals are often watched over by Lloth herself, especially by those highly in her favour, or low in her favour and seeking to regain it. If there are imposters present, or heretics, red and black flames may start to consume offerings and the imposters or other items. Lloth can also outline them in faerie fire and give all faithful drow a darkfire spell on their weapons.

It is customary that priestesses in rituals wear black with red or purple trim or, if acolytes, purple or red robes with black trim.

Contacting Lloth

Lloth can only be contacted when she desires to be. If she has no such desire however, often a Yochlol (Handmaiden of Lloth) is sent in her place. Every Yochlol has a direct connection to Lloth and are unquestioningly loyal to her, therefore their word is law.

If however Lloth is exceptionally displeased she may send a Yochlol, Bebilith or Myrlochar to kill the cleric wishing to gain audience with her.

On not-harming Spiders
This tends to change from source to source. Some sources say that small spiders are a drow delicacy, some make it out to be the cardinal sin of the Llothite religion.

This is just a suggestion, but try balance it. Don't go too nuts, but they are still Lloth's favoured animal (well, vermin). Also, spiders do not talk to or worship Lloth. They aren't that intelligent. And not every spider is Lolth's personal spy. She can possess them, but never can she possess them all nor does she necessarily often do it.

Yochlol
All Yochlol were once succubi.
The Yochlol are a breed of demons only created by Lloth.
They are all utterly devoted to and maintain a constant telepathic connection to Lloth.
Often they are sent in her place and deliver her commands and judgements.
Their word is law amongst Llothite drow and they are nearly a sacred being to them.
All Yochlol has a gaseous natural form. However, they are highly gifted shapeshifters.

Heresy
Lloth often finds heresy an amusement for herself and a wonderful way to test her priestesses. For this reason alone she often allows heretics to exist within her temples and cities. This extends to the point where she even demands silence about the matter from some of her stronger priestesses who have discovered the heretic, to make the lesser ranked priestesses work harder.

Moander and Zinzerena

Zinzerena was a mortal who become a drow goddess of assassins and chaos. Much like Vhaeraun she tried plotting the downfall of Lloth however Lloth killed her and took on her portfolios. Some say this made Lloth even madder and more chaotic, but it definitely gave her an increase in worshippers as she pretended to be Zinzerena most likely just for the irony.

Moander was a surface god of rot and decay who died when the last of his worshippers were killed by elves. Lloth seized this opportunity and has since started to masquerade as Moander in order to gain some worshippers upon the surface.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:39 am

Vhaeraun

Vhaeraun is the son of Lloth and Corellon (and therefore Eilistraee's brother), and the father of Selvetarm although he has a feud with the rest of the Dark Seldarine and the Seldarine.

He favours the use of secrecy, manipulations, treachery and intrigue. This is especially so against Lloth and her priestesses as he cannot oppose her directly. However Lloth knows of his attempts at scheming and she actually greatly enjoys them.

Vhaeraun further supports the use of any underhanded tactic so long as it helps him and his goals, but he is vindictive of those who claim to follow him but use such techniques to hinder his aims.

The Church of Vhaeraun

The clergy is nearly exclusively male. However he has no preference. His church is mostly male sheerly because most females aspire to the Lloth's clergy. They are equal value to Vhaeraun and equals amongst eachother.

This church doesn't value the traditional drow ways. They often preach unity and reclaiming of the surface. The reasoning for this unity however is so drow can reclaim their rightful place over other races. This is actually furthered by the idea of inter breeding with half elves, as the half drow will nearly always favour their drow parent in appearance and temperament. (Note, they use half elves as breeding with an elf will result in either a drow OR the other parent's subrace, not a hybrid)

Vhaeraun's church often mingle amongst Lloth worshipping societies in order to spread discord amongst the males in particular. However, this spread is also in order to quietly convert as many as possible and gather intelligence on said society

His value of secrecy is so great that those clerics who are devoted to him, can receive and invoke prayers while they supplement his name with Lloth's. He is also able to protect these clerics from discovery by the priestesses of Lloth and Lloth herself. He only does this for those who're devout to him, especially women who're infiltrating the Llothite clergy.

It is the aim of the Vhaeraunite cult to make surface dwelling settlements that are self-sustaining or help settlements reach this state. The ultimate goal is to retake the surface they were wrongfully removed from.

The overall clergy however is very loosely organised. This enables one group to be caught, but the rest to move unhindered and the church to spread and attempt to take control of more areas.

Sacrifices

Vhaeraun prefers sacrifices of expensive items and the taken weapons of felled foes. He particularly likes the regalia of felled servants of the Spider Queen however. The higher the value of these items, the more Vhaeraun is pleased however.

In saying this, he greatly prefers smaller tokens of devotion daily then large but infrequent offerings.

His worshippers are expected to offer prayer everytime they do something to advance Vhaeraun's cause.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:43 am

Eilistraee

The Dark Maiden is the only member of the Dark Seldarine still welcome amongst those in Arvandor. Her ideals however tend to threaten both elven and drow society and beliefs. She is a peaceful goddess, held to be radiantly beautiful (possibly to rival even Sune, Sharess and Hanali) and gentle until provoked where she teaches to use swift violence so as not to prolong suffering.

For drow however she represents a beacon of hope for those who wish to live in peace (a contrast to Vhaeraun's ideals) with other races. Naturally this clashes violently with the teachings of Lloth which emphasizes the inferiority of other races.

This is an idea that absurd to most races due to the "inherit evilness" of the race and stories told about such.

Elves however know the Dark Maiden exists. She represents an uncomfortable challenge to the tenets of their society. Elves teach and learn that the Crown Wars were caused by the inherit evil and unbridled cruelty of the drow. Eilistraee is naturally a massive threat to this idea due to her teachings.

Allies

Amongst the gods, Eilistraee has allies in the Seldarine (Shevarash has at least stopped hunting her), Mystra, Selune and good aligned Underdark deities.

Foes

The foes of Eilistraee however are all evil Underdark deities in particular, and especially the rest of the Dark Seldarine.

She is fervantly opposed to Lloth and her ways, trying to make those in Llothite socities convert and be willing to attempt a peaceful life. Though she has no qualms with her and her followers killing those who perform evil acts near where they are (as in, they do not raid Menzoberranzan for this, but if a warband passes by they may well step in).

Rituals

Typical rituals to Eilistraee are based around a hunt (usually for a deadly beast), followed by a feast, then dancing (usually, but not always naked).

Every three months or so Eilistraeens perform the "Sword Dance" where a small amount of blood is shed by the follower onto a blade in askance that Eilistraee will protect the blade from breaking and rust for the next three months.

The High Hunt is performed once a season at least. This is a nocturnal hunt to slay a dangerous monster or beast, led by the clerics of Eilistraee. By tradition, hunters can do this wearing anything with any bladed weapon. However priestesses do it unclothed and with a single sword alone. Those who return from a successful High Hunt follow it up

And at least once a year The Run is undertaken. All worshippers of Eilistraee drow or elven use natural dyes to make their hair a shiny silver colour, and non-drow worshippers use natural dyes to blacken their skin. They then go to the surface and wander into places where they are strangers, relying upon their music, personality, gentleness to help them survive. While on the run they try use their sword skills to help them collect game for settlements and remove beasts, they also try collect music, songs, sword ways and poetry but on the Run they do not preach or try to leave a mark for themselves.

The Last Dance

This is a ritual held by Eilistraeens who do not die in battle. Upon reaching an old age, the cleric in question will begin to hear Eilistraee singing and calling to them at night. The priestess then wanders off unclad into the night when the song sounds complete or feels right. Once finding a place she begins to dance just once more and Eilistraee appears above them, singing to her dance. Those who see this dance says the dancer seems to take less and less effort, becoming increasingly younger whilst their skin is said to glow with the same radiance as Eilistraee's. The elderly women is then said to fade away as the dance goes on and is never seen again.

Temples and Clergy

Eilistraee encourages her followers to return to the surface when possible and live in peace with those around them. She expects her followers to offer food and shelter to those in need, show kindness and to aid drow and offer them a chance at redemption. They are further encourages to collect music and songs as well as dances, and to teach them as well.

When forced into violence Eilistraee's followers, while peaceful, tend to be highly skilled combatants due to Eilistraee's favour of dances involving bladework. They are encouraged to end the fight as quickly as possible so they do not prolong suffering. Whilst they aim for peace, Eilistraeens can defend themselves and innocents, kill the evil and those refusing redemption and often hunt dangerous beasts.

There is no true and formal heirachy to the Eilistraeen clergy. They tend to work together as a group with the senior priestess' word being that of wisdom and advice from a respected figure, not a feared one.

The Temples of Eilistraee are often small and founded near a river and vein of metal to make swords from. They also tend to be around caves (and/or a thick tree canopy), which provide her worshippers to place to stay out of sight and sun but venture out when night falls.

Equipment of Eilistraeens

The Clerics of Eilistraee are all expected to be skilled with a sword and hunting as well as being able to play one of the Dark Maiden's favoured instruments (horn, flute or harp).

Elsewise they tend to dress appropriately for their task- aprons for cooking, soft leathers for hunting and relax in silvery gowns. For ritual purposes, as little as possible is worn and rarely they will use armour.

Most holy symbols are silver and worn as pins or around the neck

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 am

Ghaunadaur

Ghaunadaur is unpredictable in the extreme and rarely speaks. He has been know to aid those who give only lip service (sometimes with powerful and permanent magical boons) but also to maul and devour his most faithful. He is known for his silence but when he does speak it is through telepathy in blunt and direct statements with little time for foolishness. Despite this usual silence and bluntness, Ghaunadaur is noted to have a cruel, instinctive and cunning intellect.

History and Relationships

He is an ancient deity, supposedly risen from primordial oozes and was worshipped primarily by oozes, jellies, slimes, slugs and other such creatures. However over some (unknown) trangression he robbed most of these of intelligence and lost a lot of his worshippers in power. However he is worshipped now by some aboleth cities and some drow, outside of these he is also worshipped by small groups of individuals which are domineered by a single priest and priestess of Ghaunadaur.

He is opposed to more or less every other deity, most notably: Other Underdark deities, Malar and the Seldarine. He and Lloth have allied together on occasion, though this seldom lasts as Ghaunadaur has yet to forget that Lloth spurned his advances once.

The Church and Rituals/Sacrifices

The main and more or less only goal of the Ghaunadauran clergy is to ensure that Ghaunadaur has a constant supply of sacrifices.

For sacrifices sentient beings are greatly preferred (willingly* or forced sacrifices doesn't matter). He often rewards those who can ensure this constant flow with rewards and his favour. If a living sacrifice cannot be acquired, offerings of bones and food (burnt in oil) and incenses are also offered.

If even this is unavailable the worshipper must pray to Ghaunadaur with one hand in an open flame and no form of fire, heat or magical protection.

* Ghaunadaur will take most sacrifices however his particular favourite are those who've been manipulated into willingly giving themselves up to him.

Furthermore, the time his clerics must pray is entirely dependent upon the cult in question with each one being allowed to choose a time they deem as significant.

Areas dedicated to Ghaunadaur and his worshipper's clothing are to be made in hues that are pleasing to his own eye. These colours generally include: Black, purple, reds and metallic colours.

His clerics are encouraged to learn how to create and use acids, poisons, alchemist's fire and often multiclass as enchanters or fighters.

Place in the Dark Seldarine

Ghaunadaur is not a primarily drow god. He also was never a part of the Seldarine, nor is he an ascended mortal. The sole reason he is a member of the Dark Seldarine is due to the worship by those drow who turn from Lloth and do not look to one of the other Dark Seldarine.

Similarities to Jubilex

In many ways Ghaunadaur is similar to the Demon Lord Jubilex. Mostly due to each having a close association with slimes, jellies and sentient sludges. It is possible or even likely that Jubilex could be an aspect of Ghaunadaur (in 4th Ed. I believe Jubilex was an aspect of Ghaunadaur, but we aren't dealing with 4th Ed.).

Due to his extreme age and his portfolio of oozes and other related creatures, which can generally be said to be very basic and not evolved, some consider Ghaunadaur to be amongst one of the eldest and lesser known gods. There are also speculations he is, in some ways, more similar to an Elder Evil than a god (see how he didn't die despite blasting the intelligence from a fair, if not vast majority of his early followers- and there is not much to suggest he even lost a lot of powere, merely that his (intelligent) following is quite small compared to some other Dark Seldarine).

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:48 am

Kiaransalee

Kiaransalee is twisted, spiteful goddess of revenge, death and necromancy. She has long since descended into madness and is utterly consumed by the ideas and schemes of vengeance.

Despite her madness, Kiaransalee can clearly remember every slight ever made against her (real or not) and is very swift to act anger and both quick and powerful in getting her vengeance.

History and Relations

Kiaransalee was a necromancer queen from another plane, however she ascended to divinity and has long been a vassal of LLoth. Because of this Kiaransalee herself is only capable of smaller rebellions against Lloth. Make no mistake though, Kiaransalee utterly loathes Lloth and works towards loosening Lloth's power over herself.

Their clerics also have zero problems warring with eachother (and they often do as Kiaransalee wishes to be free and Lloth finds it amusing) and are not on friendly terms, not are the Yathrinshee subserviant to Lloth's own Yath. Lloth quite enjoys having their clerics war with each other, especially since Kiaransalee is ultimately still mostly under her control.

In order to try gain freedom, Kiaransalee has loosely allied herself with many deities namely: Vhaeraun, Hoar, Velsharoon and Malar (who also occasionally allies with Lloth)

Her enemies include: Jergal, Eilistraee, Kelemvor, Deep Duerra, Demathoin and Laduguer.

Rites

The most important ritual to Kiaransaleeans is the Graverending on Midwinter's Eve. This is celebrated by every cleric individually and they raise as many undead as they can control. These particular undead are known as Vengeance Hunters and unerringly seek out their killers for 24 hours in order to extract revenge. One they have gotten their revenge or been slain they return to death.

The typical prayer time for a Kiaransaleean is about midnight as it is when spirits are most restless.

Clergy

The clergy of Kiaransalee often comes to blows with Lloth's, even if the goddess herself cannot rebel too much.

It is furthermore a highly secretive clergy that doesn't make itself well known in cities of other faiths.

The clerics are vengeful and often spend much of a cycle (day) plotting revenge and slights against themselves or Kiaransalee must be avenged. Even if there is no slight, the church will occasionally murder so that they can collect corpses for later animation.

The church is also highly regimented and hierarchal in a given area. However like all Dark Seldarine clergies there is little to no overarching hierarchy.

Revenge

Kiaransalee doesn't handle revenge like Hoar or many others do. She doesn't mind if it’s overt or covert for a start. Furthermore, she doesn't believe in "eye for an eye" or "poetic justice". The exact words of her dogma state "answer any slight a thousandfold", Kiaransalee expects her clerics (much as she does herself) to make sure the vengeance is utterly horrendous and devastating for the victim so that all learn to fear her power.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:49 am

Selvetarm

Selvetarm is the champion, consort and nephew of Lloth. Unlike Kiaransalee, he is completely devouted to her and doesn't try rebel at all, even if he hates her domineering ways. He has no appreciation of beauty beyond battle, and while he is capable of being patient and trying to ambush foes, he is more likely to go into a bloodlust fuelled rage.

History

Selvetarm is Vhaeraun's son by an aspect of Sharess called Zandilar. He was almost converted to good by Eilistraee but when tricked into fighting Zanassu, a demon lord, by Lloth he became undeniably evil and loathing due to the absorption of the demon.

The Church

The church of Selvetarm, in fact, barely exists It is tolerated by the priestesses of Lloth however and serves as a militant arm of Lloth's Temples.

The faithful spend their time guarding fortifications, carrying out battles or in military training. While noted for their extreme fghting prowess, very few of the Selvetarglin ever achieve a good military rank as their teachings do not place much emphasis on tactics or strategy.

Rituals and prayers

The Selvetarglins pray after the first battle of every day, or after their first training session if no battle is being waged.

All of Selvetarm's followers are expected to obvious the rituals and traditions of Lloth, as directed by her priestesses.

They are also expected to scream Selvetarm's name on the killing blow in combat. Since any blow could be fatal however, its not uncommon for them to continually scream his name in battle instead of trying to place the killing blow.

And that's all there really is to Selvetarm.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 am

Zinzerena

A few things on Zinzerena since she's selectable on Arelith.
However, I don't have the exact sourcebook she's mentioned in (its a 2nd Ed. one I believe) so here's what I can say about her. Aside from the fact she dies due to Lolth who then absorbs her power.

Zinzerena is the drow goddess of assassins and chaos, in the Times of Troubles, Lloth will kill her however and take on her portfolio (as detailed above).

History
Zinzerena was a female drow illusionist and assassin of supreme skill. Her mother faked her death in order to smuggle her away from the priestesses of Lolth. She grew in power, studying alone as an illusionist and assassin.

Relations

Zinzerena is not on good terms with most of the Dark Seldarine. The most noteworthy relationship however if her hate of Lloth and much like Vhaeraun she often schemes against her.

Clergy
Zinzerena's followers believe in raising themselves up by bringing down others. They avoid revealing their true strength or hatred until their victims are helpless. They wait until they have the advantage to strike; fair fights are an alien concept to them. Zinzerena's followers believe in the value of cruelty, stealth, misdirection, and survival by any means necessary.

One of their proverbs, referring to Lolth, is The legs of the spider are made to be broken. Zinzerena is beloved by those drow who wish to throw off the shackles of the priesthood of Lolth. She is a patron of assassins and illusionists. Zinzerena's clerics are more common in the cities than the wilderness, though they may be found anywhere.

Their favoured weapon is a shortsword.

Zinzerena's holy symbol is a shortsword draped in a black cloak, symbolizing her hidden menace. Commonly takes the form of a dexterous-looking cloaked and masked drow elf. She also carries a crop with a black handle that she uses to stun; it also has the powers of a wand of wonder.

Other

Zinzerena has not fully adapted to being a divine entity. As such she remains upon the material plane and travels from drow city to city. It is known at one stage she resided in Menzoberranzan and wherever she goes she tries to inspire chaos and rebellion, especially against Lloth. After doing this, she moves on to another city.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:18 am

Drow Rites

There are quite a few of these, but I'll try cover some of the main ones from both canon and Arelith here. With most religious rituals covered above, here are some other notable Lolthite ones. However for the Arelith ones in particular, many/most of them have changed over the past 6-7 years that I've played. Not only this, but generally the newer/updated versions are still findable IC through books and the versions being taught by priestesses to acolytes. For this reason, I shall detail past versions of some rituals but not necessarily present versions.

The Blooding

The Blooding is simple. New members of the academy who're almost ready to graduate are either:
1) taken to the surface where they are expected to track and kill a sentient, humanoid surfacer.
2) A selection of healthy slaves are brought to the drow city and given basic outfitting, then the young drow are set to hunt and slay them.

The Third Son
Some Houses do not follow this (and lower class families almost assuredly never do) but most Houses will do. When the third son is born, he is first named and then sacrificed. However if an Elder or Second boy is killed before the baby is named or sacrificed, the newborn may live as it is no longer the third living male child.

Favoured Consorts

Not always, but often Lloth will demand that a priestess kill her consort. This is usually done when the consort takes too high a priority in the priestess' life, is treated higher than Lolth, weakens the woman's personality or the priestess relies upon the consort too much.

If a priestess keeps a single consort, but doesn't match the above, then Lolth rarely need interfere.

And some Arelith ones:

The Yath'abban initiation

This ritual, until recently had no official structure at all. It was up to the testing priestess to decide what they wanted it to include. However typical inclusions were: Demonstrating that the acolyte to be could speak and understand abyssal
Having a basic knowledge of Lloth's laws.
Being able to cast three divine spells (different types).

At the end of this ceremony, the acolytes were given their yath'abban armour they'd likely begrudge for the next 6 levels (This armour was as I recall Chath's idea). They were given strict instructions to never modify the armour or remove it except to rest and have it repaired.

The Yathrin Ceremony
The Yathrin ceremony generally came in three parts, and took place after the priestess hit ninth level. I believe I was the last one performing this style of ceremony as Yasraena whereas the accepted form of the ritual is quite different now.

1: A male was led away from the yath'abban that was waiting to be tested and ordered to show her as much disrespect, insolence and poor behaviour as he could. It was the yath'abban's task to bring the male back into line.

2: The Yath'abban had to be able to recite Lloth's laws from memory in Abyssal.

3: The yath'abban then had to sacrifice a male, so she could cast raise dead and prove her ability to restore the dead.

The Yath'tallar Ceremony

This is arguably the most infamous of the Lolthite rituals and the one with the worst reputation. This reputation is not entirely deserved, nor is it justified as the ceremony has been steered down a certain path over the years away from what it original was.

Essentially there are two requirements to pass this ceremony. However I'll just clear up a misconception right now that is seemingly common on Surface, UD and amongst the Yath themselves: Nowhere should this ceremony say that you have to bed a balor. Technical problems with this aside, the actual requirements are:
To Summon and prove dominance over a greater demon.

Over the years this has come to usually just mean to sleep with it, however any form of domination over the demon should be acceptable, remembering that "not all demons have the right things to do it anyway" (Quote from Norfildor). In lore it’s important to remember another key thing, in lore it is Glabrezu's that are used to bed, not balors (I'll discuss this slightly when Draegloth are described).

It’s also worth noting that it says greater demon, not "balor". This means that other forms of powerful demons should be acceptable to. The main one would be the epic vrock that a 16th level Blackguard gets. This has been used too, Szintala Vraevir was a cleric who used her vrock.

Branding (old version-but still a new-ish ritual)
Branding is essentially a ritual where a drow is taken to the Temple and asked a series of questions about their loyalty to Lolth and made to swear multiple things before an altar.

If the priestess doing the branding approves of their answer, they summon and a spider and have it attack, but not kill them. If she disapproves, the drow being branded can expect to die.

In no way is or was this ritual ever binding however. There is nothing to stop lies or changes of heart.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:19 am

Government Styles

Drow government styles are typically, in part at least, determined by the major religion of the city in question. Here I'll go over several types of drow city governance styles though. Namely: The Ruling Council of Houses, The divided city, the Magocracy. However, I'll also do a small discussion on some of the effects, certain Dark Seldarine religions have upon government. With each type of Government, I'll give at least one example.

The Ruling Council system
This is the style favoured by Llothite societies. They tend to be Matriachal and theocratic, though occasionally a Vhaeraunite settlement may do the same in which case it can be expected that males and females can both make it into the top spots.

The exact amount of Council Members vary from city to city, however the system works by having the top houses of each city form an elite council that govern the city. These cities however tend to have one house which is far more powerful and domineering then the rest.

Examples of this style:

Menzoberranzan governed by the ruling council of 8, dominated by House Baenre.
Ched Nasad is run by the top twelve houses, dominated by House Nasadra.
Udos Dro'xun is run by the top three houses and was dominated by Drak'aa for the longest time overall.

Magocracy

This system is rather the opposite of the above, which tends to be theocratic, it places the city in control of a council of mages. This can be done with either the individual mages or most powerful magi from different schools. Males and females can usually rise in station equally under this system.
The most notable example of this style is Sshameth. Sshameth is run by the heads of each school of magic.

Fractured City

The fractured city is what I'm calling a city that is divided with no central government. The divide often comes from differences in religion or no one faction being able to keep the others in line.

Eryndlyn is the prime example of this as the city was divided amongst Vhaeraunites, Llothites and Ghaunadaurans.

Udith Che on the FL server is also a great example of this.

Mercantile Cities

These cities are run by merchant families. They tend to be wealthy with whomever brings in the most profit as the one taking overall control of the city.

Before the religious factions came to power- Eryndlyn were like this

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:24 am

Houses

There are three sorts of Houses to consider, though only two have real relevance upon Arelith.

Ruling Houses

Arelith calls these noble houses. However these tend to be the strongest, wealthiest, oldest and most favoured houses in a city. It is these houses that're the ones who make up the ruling council. (Note these are noble houses too. All Ruling Houses are noble houses, not all noble houses are ruling houses.)

Noble houses

These houses are all powerful and wealthy. They each boast impressive forces and are led by a still reasonably powerful family. However they're less powerful than the Ruling Houses typically, and rarely will they ever be able to possess a threat to the top three houses.

Merchant Houses

These are arguably the closest to Arelith's ignoble Houses. Often they scheme to become noble or ruling houses,until they reach such status however the merchant houses are ones who gain wealth and influence through mercantile means. Often they are vassals of, or in the service of a noble or ruling house however.

Structure of Houses

Houses tend to very simple (but look complex) in structure. The basis of all Houses is that there is a noble or royal family at its core. This is an important fact- nearly all noble ranks are held by this core family.

Adoption into the central family does happen, but it shouldn't be considered a very common event it is very rare that 'new blood' is taken in as it can prove risky for both the original family and their station if the adopted one does not uphold the family name.

All Houses are founded on the idea of a single figure at the centre, typically a Matron. (Some Matrons are merely puppets though, such as Matron Dyrr of House Agrach Dyrr) And this figure rules over their house.

Immediately after this figure is their immediate family, the family fills up rankings such as Qu'el'Saruk, Qu'el'Faeruk, the Daughters (starting at first and going down), and the elder boy and second son. These are the people who rule over their respective part of the House's internal affairs.

For example: The first daughter will generally organise clerics, Qu'el'Saruk will organise warriors and so on. The Patron will look pretty and maybe handle admin duties.

After this group come the retainers. The retainers are those employed or 'owned' by the House, it is this group that form the bulk of drow house members. They are the everyday, run of the mill fighters, wizards and priestesses (usually high priestesses are directly related to a matron or rarely they are born in the Temple and raised there). However no house can function without this group either, despite not ruling or being noble they are undeniably important.

Slaves: Nearly every house will keep a large supply of slaves that are below all drow. Their lives are unimportant but they are left with all the menial tasks. In times of warfare, these slaves are the canon fodder, sent before the drow army to absorb crossbow bolt fire and set off traps.

Vassal Houses
Vassaled houses owe their allegiance to another house. They are therefore expected to join any war, loan troops and support political decisions made by the main house. However this extends further and often the vassal is expected to make donations and contributions to the main house whilst not threatening them or aiding a threatening cause in any way.

Notable and powerful houses

Here I'll list some drow cities and the houses that hold a lot of sway there, including a list of Udos Houses and their founding matron mother. I uncertain of the current policy by DMs but in the past using these names were often called breaches of the famous name rule.

Menzoberranzan
The top eight houses are:
1) Baenre
2) Barrison del'Armgo
3) Faen Tlabbar
4) Xorlarrin
5) Agrach Dyrr
6) Mizzrym
7) Fey- Branche
8) Tuin Tarl

Ched Nasad
Famous houses of Ched Nasad

Nasadra
Melarn
Auvryndar
Mylyl
Zauvir

Udos Dro'Xun
(House- Founding Matron)
Dria'fiend - Matron Shairin Dria'fiend
Elg'Carin- Matron Lithana Elg'Carin (Thanks Jagel)
Kenndar- ?
Drak'aa- Matron Amal'yln Drak'aa
Z'Ress- Matron Chath Z'Ress
Vraevir- Szintalar Vraevir
Dy'Nin- Phyr'Ylene Dy'Nin
Xymox- Matron Reva Xymox
Helvi'rret- Aunqav Helvi'rret (She was also known as Aunqav Vraevir and Aunqav Drak'aa)
Ste'te'lie- Cas'san'dra Drak'aa/Ste'te'lie (this was formed by the d'Aerth branch of Drak'aa)
Z'Kath- Ami'anthrade Z'Kath
Melana- Vastra Melana
Xeth're'dane- Vashca Xeth're'dane
Al'Truissa- Quenethel Al'Truissa
Fuma'Vhid- ?
Zar'Rocc- Nives Zar'Rocc
Hlathrae- Vay'olin Hlathrae
Auvryviir- Lanii'dae

The ?s are where I cannot recall the name of the original matrons. If someone could PM me with the names, I'll fill them in.

I have also left out very small and short-lived houses because they rarely made it off the ground and it's not updated beyond 2012 or so. I may add more recent houses later, but this the list I have from the last time this was posted.

Famous Dead Houses
Oblodra- Psionic house of Menzoberranzan
Do'Urden- House of Menzoberranzan
DeVir- House of Menzoberranzan (Also the House of Viconia from BG series)
Hun'nett- House of Menzoberranzan
S'sril- Former lst House of Menzoberranzan (before Baenre)

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:25 am

Magical items

Drift discs

These are usually magical floating blue platforms (hence: driftdisc) which are used to transport goods or people. They needn't be however and they can be items of other forms such as thrones mounted onto a stone disc. However every driftdisc is incredibly expensive, meaning that they are beyond the reach of even many matron mothers. It is an extreme status symbol to be able to ride upon a driftdisc and many are marked with the insignia of the owning house so that they return to the house after a duration of time.

Some merchants also rent drift discs out to those who cannot afford them, using a similar system of marking as the houses do, they are spelled to return after the allotted time.

Piwafwi

These look like normal drow cloaks. When worn they make the wearer near invisible due to the colouring's ability to bled into the underdark and its heat shielding properties render the wearer near invisible to infravision as well. They are fashioned from spider silks and other fibres, which often contain the house insignia of the owner's house. Piwafwi's can be further enchanted to give the wearer further abilities and often include physical resistances, skill enhancements or enhanced elemental protections.

Sunlight does break down the piwafwi's magic, even moonlight will do so, however it'll take longer. After two weeks upon the surface however the cloak will be essentially magicless.

House insignia

Every House Insignia is slightly personalised for its owner. However every House has a distinct design to it. Beyond the purpose of identification, the House insignia is enchanted as well. The insignia will often enhance a drow's innate magical abilities of levitation (or grant them to an ignoble drow). Having an insignia is often the way to cause gates or doors within houses to open, or gain control over any magical servitor or bypass wards.

Finally the House insignia is a useful form of communication, it will allow a house member to send a message* to another house member a message over a vast distance. This is done by speaking a command word and the recipient's name.

* The message is usually an increase in heat and possible buzzing or vibrations. This is typically symbolic that the owner of the insignia is expected to return to the house.

And please note (so I'm not fried for this for saying its okay): This item's last ability will most likely be a breach of the no-metagaming/no-psychic powers rule.

Scourge (Whip) of Fangs

This is a whip that is reserved for high priestesses and higher. They are made of a number of snake heads (typically 1-8, roughly three feet long each) attached to an adamantine hilt. The vipers are attuned to their wielder's emotions and often react according- writhing and flashing fangs when the priestess is angry or being nearly asleep when the priestess is calm.

They often serves as additional sets of eyes and can hiss at those behind the priestess. The more vipers a priestess has, the more powerful the priestess supposedly is (this is not always true). If one head is severed, the rest of the whip can continue as though completely unaffected.

Only Quenthel Baenre's vipers can talk. She has a unique whip which has the essence of an individual imp in bound into every viper. This is not a trait of every such whip.

The last interesting thing to note, is that the weilder can decide on the spur of the moment if the viper's bite shall be venemous or not. Furthermore the bite need not be lethal if venemous, in fact it is far more common for the venom to inflict searing agony in the muscles for several minutes to hours than be lethal.

And that's most things I planned to cover originally, let me know if via PM if there are questions, elaborations wanted or other topics you'd like to see covered.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:28 am

Drow Creation Myths

I'll just copy and paste the actual myth, rather than annotating them, however I will offer some notes on each one. It may be either surprising or unsurprising that drow have several different takes upon their origins. All of these myths are taken from Drow of the Underdark and property of the creators.

Expulsion of the Drow

"In the first primeval days of the world, the elves were already
old. They dwelt in the first cities, and they watched with curious
and unaging eyes as other races appeared and began to
walk the fields, climb the mountains, and hunt the great and
endless woods. Among these races were the humans, capable
of changing and adapting to almost any environment, and
the orcs, who though bestial were warriors of great strength
and savage cunning.

The gods, too, watched the growth of these other races, and
some grew concerned. They took no action, however, for even
then the elf deities were chaotic and individualistic, with no
true leadership or guidance among them. One day Lolth,
strongest and wisest of the elf gods, approached
Corellon Larethian, for he was the most charismatic and convincing
of the Seldarine. “The other races have not the life span
of our children,” she told him, “but they grow far, far more
numerous. They are quick to learn and adapt, where our elves
are slow and set in their ways. They are swift to battle, where
our elves seek only the best and most beautiful in life. They are
strong, where our elves are weak. Let us, then, spread wisdom
and skill among the elves. Let us teach them to hold what we
have given them, to not only survive the coming of these new
races but to dominate them, since we always intended them
to be the masters of the world we provided.”

But Corellon Larethian was a vain and foolish deity. It was
he who had convinced the Seldarine to create the elves as
they were, in an image that he preferred, and he was loath to
allow any changes to “his” creations. He deceived Lolth,
agreeing to speak to the assembled elf gods,
but when he did so, he launched into an eloquent argument
that the elves should remain exactly as they were. “We have
created perfection,” he argued, playing upon the vanity of the
other gods just as he puffed up his own. “As we are gods to our
children, so far are our children above these other, lesser races.
Let us not allow fear and worry to cloud our judgment. Let us
not sully the perfection we have created by changing our elves,
reducing them to the level of these new beasts.”

Lolth raged in fury at the deception, and at the shortsightedness
of her fellow gods, but the Seldarine were in agreement,
taken in by Corellon’s honeyed words, and they would not
heed her warnings.

So Lolth visited her children in secret. Choosing only the
strongest and most skilled among the elves, she taught them
great wisdom behind the backs of the other gods. To them she
granted the gift of skill with bow and blade, that they might
meet the orcs on the field of battle; the gift of deception,
that they might not be at a disadvantage against the flexible
humans; and above all, the gift of magic, both arcane and
divine, that they might prove dominant over all other races.
She instructed them, too, in the value of survival, in the need
to fight to keep what was theirs, and in the doctrine of strength
over all. She came in the night to deliver her teachings, and
her followers named themselves duaral or “Hunters of the Crescent,”
for the martial skills she offered and the moon that heralded her coming.

But some among Lolth’s new followers grew frightened of
the coming war, and ran to the elves still taken in by Corellon
and the Seldarine. What they learned, the gods learned, and
they grew angry at Lolth for her disobedience, and frightened
that her duaral might come to dominate elf culture. In
a twist of sheerest irony and arrogance, Corellon—who had
prevented the gods from teaching the elves the arts of war
when the elves were faced with outside threats—was the fi rst
to show his children the bow and the blade when the threat
came from one of his own.

“But, great Corellon,” the elf leaders asked their deity, as they
lifted their swords for war, “how are we to know our enemy from
our brothers and sisters? For we all look alike, and you have said
that the traitor Lolth has taught her followers to lie.”
This worried the Seldarine greatly, until the goddess Hanali
Celanil, weakest and most pathetic of the pantheon, arose.
“We shall solve this problem,” she said, “by marking all those
who are not loyal. For while Lolth is the mightiest among us,
she cannot stop us if we work together. As day is to night, so
shall you be to those who follow the traitor.” And the Seldarine
worked their will and wrought great change upon the duaral,
turning their skin from the pale of the elves to black as pitch.

The elves of the Seldarine marched against Lolth’s duaral,
and though the duaral were stronger and more skilled, they
could not stand up to the elves’ greater numbers. Led by their
goddess, the survivors retreated deep into the caverns beneath
the earth, where the nature-loving elves were too frightened
to follow. And there did they begin to thrive."

Notes on Expulsion of the Drow and things to consider

1) Lloth was always Lloth, never Araushee.
2) This is similar to the primary version of the events according to and known to surfacers.
3) Why, if the Seldarine is so powerful as to physically alter the drow, could they not destroy them? Drow claim that this is because the gods were too weak back then to match Lloth's grace.
4) Lloth is shown as deceived. This is an incredibly rare thing because while drow accept she is fallible they very rarely would dare record such mistakes. More likely this is allowed to exist to help spread the hate of Corellon and show him as a deceiver.

5) (And completely unrelated) I love how it describes Hanali.

The Drow Exodus

This story is identical to the original until the point of Lloth teaching the duaral behind the Seldarine's backs. I have underlined and bolded the section where this story breaks off in the Expulsion tale to make it easier.

"Drow historians debate Lolth’s motivation for what happened
next. Was she concerned that the other elves would
unite under the banner of the Seldarine and obliterate her
duaral? Or did she simply view those weaker elves as unfi t to
receive her teaching, and indeed unfi t for survival? Whatever
the case, before the other elves and the other gods learned of
her actions, Lolth led the duaral away in the middle of the
night. They crept from the elf villages and cities, summoned
by a call only they could hear. A trickle became a stream, a
stream became a river, and eventually thousands of Lolth’s elves
joined one another on the journey to a new home, away from
those who would weaken them.

To facilitate their ability to hunt in the shadows of night,
and to differentiate them from the feeble elves of the Seldarine,
Lolth wrought a physical change in her followers, transforming
their skin to a light-absorbing ebony.
She separated the massed duaral into smaller groups, the better to
hide from any elf pursuers, and she chose for them great kingdoms
under the earth, where they could grow strong and learn
to rule without the interference of their weaker cousins.

Notes on the Exodus

1) This version is the most known version amongst the drow.
2) It satisfies the drow pride but also that the elves were at fault, not Lloth being underhanded.
3) It names Lloth as the chooser of the worthy, thusly satisfying their faith in Lloth.
4) The darkened skin of the drow becomes a blessing, not a curse which fits in with the drow ideology of racial superiority.
5) The last part in particular suits the idea that the sites of (nearly) all major cities are chosen by Lloth herself.

First Among Elves

This is nearly identical to the above tale with one key difference:

According to this version of the myth, the elves were initially
an underground race, and when Lolth chose only the
strongest and most skilled as her followers, they banished
the weak elves to the surface. Those who espouse this version
claim that all elves originally shared the dark skin of the drow,
and that it was Lolth who cursed the surface elves to appear
as feeble and weak without as they were within.

Notes on First Among Elves

This clearly seems like the tale that one would expect to be standard for the drow race. However Drow of the Underdark suggests this version is purposefully repressed by Lloth and her clergy to maintain the hatred of the elves. It is easier to hate some one who committed the wrong, then an already defeated enemy.

Realoms

Post by Realoms » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:32 am

Some other bits and pieces.

Szarkai

Szarkai are an incredibly rare mutant form of drow. They maintain the red eyes and silver hair but have alabaster skin instead of the standard drow colourations. The colouring is very similar to the paler of moon elves.

This naturally makes them one of two things: First in line to the altar of Lloth or spies amongst surface elves.

Irae T'sarren a Kiaransaleean High priestess was one of these.

Please note: This is not necessarily a wise, good or feasible idea for a character on arelith without a 5% roll. I'm not rules lawyering, but I don't want anyone saying I said it was good.

Love

Love is drow society is usually lust, or politics. Drow only very rarely have monogamous relationships, they usually with sate themselves with any attractive or well bred partner.
Typically drow do not sleep with anyone from outside their house (or houses in general) as it carries too many risks.

Drow marriages do happen and are more like a contract. Both individuals swear to sleep primarily with echother, and this arrangement often formalizes alliances, involes some degree of loyalty, serves to combines resources and stop lesser houses from attempting to usurp a better placed one.
Children born in a marriage are given slightly higher priority in inheritances, but drow really don't care either way about bastards.

A drow marriage typically means a male will never sleep with anyone aside their marital partner, however a female can take as many lovers as she so wishes.

True love is incredibly rare amongst underdark drow (less so amongst Eilistraeens).
However in the rare cases it does happen, many drow seek to try destroy the thing they develop feelings for, before it becomes a weakness.

Others will try impress and/or own the source of their affections. In the rare case two drow love eachother though, they can even be as tender as a surface couple, with all the viciousness of the drow towards everyone and thing else.

Death

To drow, death is never something glorious or heroic. Death is rather the ultimate sign of failure (though Eilistraeens observing the Last Dance are exempt from this). Death does not lead to a paradise or happiness in the plane of Lloth either.

The survival instinct of drow is one of their most finely tuned. They always place their survival first and because of this nearly every plot is a balance between life vs. risk vs. reward.

Its also worth noting drow do not believe in self sacrifice, better to kill 20 others than oneself.

Drow very rarely die of old age, and those who do are often shamed for their lack of death in the service of their god (especially if Llothite, again Eilistraeens are exempt). Its also important to note, drow dispose of their dead to prevent disease, they don't entomb, bury and show final respects to their dead.

Undeath

Drow find undeath a sad state of existance* as it strips them of all racial superiority. However they neither shun nor oppose undeath and often respect undeath for the power it brings.

* In Kiaransaleeans settlements, its not necessarily her priestesses who rule. Those who can command the most undead, or are undead or partly undead themselves often weild great respect and power in her cults and cities. (Note that a lot of her priestesses due tend to have the ability to animate many and/or powerful undead or are partly undead)

Drow Sayings

- Pain is a crude way of obtaining obedience, but it is cheap plentiful

- The lives of subordinates are coin in your hand: spend them wisely

- Hope is the denial of reality.

- Suspect all you meet, and the Goddess may give you the gift of continued life.

- Knowledge from deceit.

- Friendship is the mother of betrayal, darkness is the father.

- In darkness, there is opportunity.

- Lloth be praised.

- Lloth guard you. (On arelith guard and watch have the same translation, guard is correct for the saying, its assumed that Lloth watches all drow)

- Only the Strong survive.

- Help unasked for is never help/ help freely offered is not free.

- Before Lloth, all are weak.

- Weakness is the spawn of contentment and affection.

- A spider without a web is no hunter.

- The destiny of the Drow is to conquer all!

- Those who watch their backs meet death from the front.

- Matron Mothers know best.

- The best knife is an unseen one.

- Darkness take you! (a curse, especially for surfacers)

- Do as you are ordered and live.

- All trust is foolish.

- Never lie when the truth is more profitable.

- No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man. (man=lover)

- Who knows better than the Goddess?

- The best hidden door is the most obvious trap.

- To the Darkness!

- Those who Live by the Blade, get killed by those who Live by the Knife

- If you can see the trap, look twice.

- To trust is to seal your fate.

- Those who trust find a blade in their back.

- Treachery. Deceit. Death. This is the drow way.

- Trust no one more than yourself.

- Light upon you (curse to use against drow)

Leisure

Leisure is, perhaps surprisingly, an important part of drow life especially for those in the Upper Classes. Nobility will often spend their time indulging in blood-sports (they are not usually the participants however). Other games though, tend to resemble a surface equivalent.

The wealthier drow (those with both mercantile based wealth and nobility)tend to hold Pufferfish and feasts. These events are where drow seek to reaffirm alliances, reaffirm grudges, show off wealth (and size up the wealth of others). Spying is, naturally, a major part of these events with eavesdropping being a common affair. Despite the fact that overt violence is highly frown upon at these events, poisonings are still common enough and acceptable if the poisoner is not caught. However, even with these rules most drow would not attempt one of these more than once every few years.

Incenses and wines are both highly valued. The latter tending to be brewed from fruits and fungi that make for potent wines. Incenses (and herbs, which function as the equivalent of drugs) are just as liked, brewed mostly from fungi, fruit and these underground herbs are greatly enjoyed the sensations and loss of control they can provide.

The drow equivalent to a 'Night on the town' is varies from watching lizard and giant spider races, through to gladitorial events in an arena. However, drow also enjoy watching plays which react famous triumphs (prisoners and/or slaves take the parts of those who die. Then these 'actors' are actually killed for authenticity).

Other drow will watch a priestess performing a creative sacrifice, or go see a professional torturer do their "art". Furthermore some those hold these events, hire specialised mages who make it possible for onlookers to feel the emotion, pain and thoughts of the victim.

Drow also play games however. Often these games combine stealth and physical prowess, in twists upon games such as capture the flag.
Drow board games have a focus on improving and testing one's intellect while teaching the value of sacrificing those around you for personal gain.

Finally, reading is a popular past time of all drow. Typically the most commonly read books will be fictitious tales of popular victories, or religious myths, and legends.

Draegloth

Draegloth are created through the union of a High (and usually, especially favoured) Priestess of Lolth and a Glebrazu.

In appearance, Draegloth are vaguely humanoid. They have the black skin of a drow, with a yellowing-white mane. Their face ends in an elongated, bestial muzzle. All Draegloth are powerfully muscular, with four arms, the larger pair end in powerful claws while the second pair end in almost delicate, drow like hands.
Draegloth are perhaps the only form of half breed demon that is intentionally and willing created, and recreated by mortals.

Role

Draegloth are often seen as signs of favour from Lolth. It is very rare that Draegloth leave the house into which they were born and often serve the Matron directly as her guard, assassin, soldier and whatever else she may need. However if their house loses fortune, they will leave to find a more advantageous house.

They act as advisors, soldiers and generals in particular. It is also suggested through novels that they serve the most favoured priestess in their vicinity above all others.

Battle Tactics
Draegloths are vicious in combat and with their larger set of hands, they can easily wade into combat. They tend to have little use for weapons, preferring their claws and teeth, it is also a common tactic for them to start with a darkness spell and use power attack.

Creation

The Draegloth are created through the ritual union* of a favoured High Priestess or Matron and a Glebrazu. These rituals are nearly invariably messy and bloody. However of the slim few women who survive these rituals, an even slimmer few give birth to a Draegloth.
During their early life, they are treated exceptionally well and could want for absolutely nothing ever.

* It is this ceremony, not the high priestess ceremony that involves specifically bedding a demon. The demon type, in any case is neither balor nor vrock.

Other

Draegloth have the following:
No particular vulnerability to light.
They don't need to eat or drink, but they do enjoy eating live victims.

Draegloth Favoured Ones are Draegloth with the favour of Lloth who are given magical abilities by Lloth. They use these to ward allies and harm foes, falling into melee only once their spells are expended. These are rarely found alone.

Draegloth Overseers are particularly brutish Draegloth, who throw themselves into a rage during combat and typically employ the strongest power attack they can. These are Draegloth typically given duties such as overseeing a House's slaves.

Also a thanks and dedication to Jagel, who has helped fill in bits and pieces I've forgotten and added good input of his own.
And dedication to Phoenix who read most sections of this to help with mistakes, fluency and has been one of the people who has inspired me to write this and been a source of inspiration, confidence and enjoyment in the UD.