NWN and Linux/Mac OS X (wine)

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Fidelkoven

NWN and Linux/Mac OS X (wine)

Post by Fidelkoven » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:42 am

While on Linux it pretty much works out of the box after you have installed wine and x11 there are issues when you want to setup and play NWN on a modern Mac OS X machine without using Bootcamp (The solution is not even covered in the wine AppDB for NWN https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=31354).

On OS X you find that after installing wine, that the old x11 app is not available on newer Apple machines - it has been integrated into xquartz, which you can download and install, but except the menu, all NWN screens remain black and thus unplayable. I haven't played for months cause i thought it is simply not possible to get it to work but the solution is CrossOver (you can test it for free for 14 days https://www.codeweavers.com/products/cr ... c/download). It is pretty easy to setup and somehow it works then. There are still issues with the trackpad - you need to change an entry in the registry but then it works well (https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wik ... q/trackpad).

Unfortunately NWNShader does not work on both operating systems. If you got it to work, then please tell me how.

Another word about CrossOver: If you buy it, just buy the „One Version“ which you can find after you click on „show more options“ in their store. You also don´t need phone support - so it won´t be too expensive.
Besides, maybe it works with other emulation software as well… I haven´t tried it cause I wanted it simple like with wine without having to install windows.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NWN and Linux/Mac OS X (wine)

Post by DM Symphony » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:55 am

I'm using Crossover on OSX and I was able to get both Chronepsis and Bahamut to work. I was about ready to give up and had a mouse-Ouija moment, and opened Wine Configuration in my Bottle's Control Panels, selected nwmain.exe as the application, navigated to the libraries tab, added dinput (.dll) as a new override, (native, then builtin), and it worked.

I would backup the bottle and the NWN folder before you do this.

Good luck.

Fidelkoven

Post by Fidelkoven » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:15 pm

That worked instantly. Thank you very much! Tge game looks do much better now to me without that grey fog all the time... Wonderful!

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Or you can just use http://portingkit.com (based on wine) which does the install and configuration by itself, from the GOG installer.

It's free.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49 am

Or.

If you're on linux like me, you can do a Native installation with no need for wine!
WEEEW!
I don't follow tutorials for it (I've memorised it) but here's one for those that might need it
https://linuxgamecast.com/2015/11/l-g-c ... ux-native/
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am

What is the added benefit of all that work when the game runs fine using playonlinux?

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 am

Benefit? No real benefit really. Unless you're like me and prefer working with native applications instead of installing wine/playonlinux un-necessarily

It's really just personal preference to be honest. While my post may have come across differently I honestly just intended to leave that their for anyone that might be interested in it.

It's also alot easier to do that over compiling playonlinux or wine when you run a custom-built distro ;)
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Beernerd81

Post by Beernerd81 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Parralels > Windows > Done
Hunter548 wrote:Variety is often overrated. Sucking at 15 things is not better than being good at 3.
Wytchee wrote:Please roleplay all classes listed on your character sheet.

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:What is the added benefit of all that work when the game runs fine using playonlinux?
Unless Rabbid has managed to work around it, there's a definite advantage to NOT running it native: native NWN will capture your keyboard, making it impossible to alt-tab to different windows while you're playing.

I've both native and wine versions on my pc at the same time right now, and hardly ever use the native version... Only keeping it out of principle: for the -one- game that I like and has a native version? Gotta have it.

You don't even need playonlinux for good ol' nwn: wine alone will make it work just fine.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 pm

True enough wine will make it work good enough. I just use playonlinux because I had it installed already.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am

Guys what version of wine works best for NWN. Right now i have been experiencing problems that when playing the game after a hour or 2 at most the game freezes so badly that even linux mint freezes and i need to do a hard shutdown.

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:Guys what version of wine works best for NWN. Right now i have been experiencing problems that when playing the game after a hour or 2 at most the game freezes so badly that even linux mint freezes and i need to do a hard shutdown.
Sadly, the version of wine that will work best for any given program depends also on your drivers+distro+version of those. So, it could happen that what works for one doesn't for another.

What you're describing, though, doesn't sound like wine incompatibility, but an old and known bug in NWN itself, that can affect windows and linux both: the dreaded memory leak. You'll provably notice these 2 hours of gameplay become MUCH less if you go around changing appearances of your gear often, or chat/travel with large amounts of people.

There was one resolution that NWN hates... Not sure if it was 1280x1024 or 1024x768, but read somewhere that it's better to either go under or over whichever of those two it was: the game will take up less resources.

Now, for the memory leak itself, make sure you've got all shadows off. You may also want to turn all graphics to the minimum, and then if that fixes it, start testing little by little what you can afford to keep up and what you can't.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm

In all my years of nwn i have never been caught by this bug. The sad part is my graphics are already on a minimum. As for the resolution i am on 1368x768 and for some reason in nwn i can only select this, 1024x768, or 800x600.

Sad part is the last two give a square picture with black sides.