"Build Me"

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Seven Sons of Sin

"Build Me"

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:41 am

Something I refer back to often, from the old forums, is DE's "Build Me" thread.

I find it super useful to go look for powerful, but unique, build layouts. Key thing about is how DE very successfully manages to create things that allow you to remain relevant in a PvE or PvP setting, but are perhaps unorthodox or unusual.

(notably, a cool one, is a monk/rogue/WM who uses a rapier and is a 'duelist', neat!)

Cool thread, should go here.

Cheers:

http://arelith.com/node/13624
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Mayonnaise

Re: "Build Me"

Post by Mayonnaise » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:11 pm

That was a cool thread. I'd totally support something like this becoming a thing again.

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:21 pm

I enjoy concept building. So, with the recent discussion of magey-assassins, I'll throw a class combination I'd do for it.

Arcane Trickster/Rogue-Mage/Sneak-Mage/Whatever!
Wizard 9 Assassin 12 Ranger 9
Recommended Ability Points:
(Does not include gifts: Recommended if taking, DEX + INT + CON)
Base Stat (Ending) | Alternate Base (Ending)
12 STR | 8 STR
16 DEX (24) | 16 DEX (24)
16 INT | 16 INT
14 CON | 16 CON
8 WIS | 8 WIS
8 CHA | 8 CHA
Feats
1 Knockdown, Favored Enemy
3 Weapon Finesse
6 Extend Spell
9 Weapon Focus
12 Improved Crit.
15 Craft Wand
18 Blindfight
21 Epic Prowess
24 Great DEX I
27 Epic Fort.
30 Epic Skill Focus (Hide/Move Silent/Your favorite?)

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:37 pm

The Classic Witch!
Druid 10 Wizard 20
(Does not include gifts: Recommend INT & CON gifts if taking)
Base Stat (Ending) | Rat Totem Ending | Spider Totem Ending
8 STR (4)
12 DEX (8)
16 INT (24) | (28) | (26)
16 CON (12)
14 WIS (14)
8 CHA (8)
Feats
(Spell focuses can be totally interchanged with other schools! They are marked with a * )
1 Spell Focus (Divination)*
3 Greater Spell Focus (Divination)*
6 Extend Spell
9 Toughness
12 Brew Potion
15 Maximize Spell
18 Spell Focus (Necromancy)*
21 Epic Spell Focus
24 Epic Spell Focus
27 Epic Spell Focus
30 Great INT I
Wizard Bonus Feats
5 Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)*
10 Spell Focus (Evocation)*
15 Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)*
20 Craft Wand
Recommended Leveling Path
1-10 Druid
11-30 Wizard
I thought that the combination of Druid and Wizard was appropriate. The totem choice can severely reduce your STR, CON, and DEX outside of your form, which as a caster, you likely wouldn't use much! However, they add some nifty ability increases that I would consider. As always, this is built without including gifts. It is certainly optional to take totem or not.

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Oghma's Guide
Bard 20 Cleric 4 Ranger 6
(Does not include gifts: Recommend CHA, CON, DEX gifts if taking)
Base Stat (Ending)
13 STR
14 DEX
14 INT
13 CON (14)
8 WIS
14 CHA (20)
Feats
(Spell focuses can be totally interchanged with other schools! They are marked with a * )
1 Skill Focus (Heal)/Toughness/Blindfight
3 Power Attack
6 Extend Spell
9 Divine Might
12 Divine Shield
15 Craft Wand
18 Weapon Foc. (Ranged Weapon)
Ranger Bonus Feats
(In Epics): Epic Prowess --> Recommended to take during epics.
(Out Epics): Favored Enemy --> Recommended to take during epics, not pre.
21 Epic Fort.
24 Armor Skin
27 Epic Skill Focus (Heal)
30 Lasting Inspiration
Recommended Leveling Path
1-6 Bard
7-9 Cleric
8-11 Bard
12 Cleric
13-16 Bard
17-20 Ranger
21-27 Bard
28 + 29 Ranger
30 Bard
Oghma's guide is a support class combination that focuses on assisting his party with his enhance song and ranged attacks. With his knowledge of the natural world, as well as the bardic magics, he makes use of his skill to guide his party through the dark. It is recommended to take Search as a skill and make use of a trap disabling companion. Alternatively, bards get a Find Trap spell.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Asherrin's Little Follower

Concept is a halfing who all his life has found the broody Black archers to be a cool and mysterious group to join. He tries not to smile, wears a lot of black and braids his hair like Asherrin's.
He has toy action figures of Shalifil which on occasion he gets caught playing with and trying to impersonate his voice. He sneaks into Drow graveyards to cut ears off and make necklaces from them in his never ending quest to impress the legendary Black archers and be brought into their ranks.
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I want some one to build me an RP powerbuild. (ie not something that is awesome in PvP but something is awesome at other mechanics the server has to offer, starting off as a MoD character)
Concept would be a Zhentarim merchant, seeking to first dominate Cordor's economy but eventually the whole isle in trade.(he wouldn't reveal himself as follower of Bane or a Zhent given the current law of cordor) He would need UMD, and I can't decide if to make him pure cleric, or pure mage, or a rogue/cleric/bard build, to be able to break into houses of rival merchants. And which spell focuses to go with, if go pure caster.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 am

When I think of merchants I immediately think of a charismatic salesman. My first choice for that part would be bard. Rogue would get you the shady skills needed for breaking into and undermining local businesses. For the ruthless domination side I can see a bit of Blackguard in the mix.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 am

Is an actual Cleric/Rogue/Bard able, if done in the right amounts, to actually beat the like 120 DC locks of quarters with the trickery domain boost?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:33 am

CragOneEye wrote:I want some one to build me an RP powerbuild. (ie not something that is awesome in PvP but something is awesome at other mechanics the server has to offer, starting off as a MoD character)
Concept would be a Zhentarim merchant, seeking to first dominate Cordor's economy but eventually the whole isle in trade.(he wouldn't reveal himself as follower of Bane or a Zhent given the current law of cordor) He would need UMD, and I can't decide if to make him pure cleric, or pure mage, or a rogue/cleric/bard build, to be able to break into houses of rival merchants. And which spell focuses to go with, if go pure caster.
Cleric 26/rogue 4. Take trickery domain, make sure to pick up lockpicking feats and max it. Would recommend divination and abjuration for pure shady-shenanigans thematics, but conj and evo would also be useful for killing things. You should be able to get up to 90ish open lock yourself, and then get a bard friend to help you the rest of the way.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:17 am

Hunter548 wrote:
CragOneEye wrote:I want some one to build me an RP powerbuild. (ie not something that is awesome in PvP but something is awesome at other mechanics the server has to offer, starting off as a MoD character)
Cleric 26/rogue 4. Take trickery domain, make sure to pick up lockpicking feats and max it. Would recommend divination and abjuration for pure shady-shenanigans thematics, but conj and evo would also be useful for killing things. You should be able to get up to 90ish open lock yourself, and then get a bard friend to help you the rest of the way.
Right was thinking maybe Abj and Div then domains would be knowledge and trickery if went that route but also wasn't sure if was more useful to be a successful merchant through things say like ENchantment and Transmutation as Mage to be able to sell more merchandise.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:10 am

When I hear RP build for a merchant and I see Cleric level domination, I facepalm.
That's more like a priest to me, who understands the mechanics of law. Switch the classes to 26 rogue 4 cleric is more a merchant :)

Go pure rogue really, with intelligence and charisma focus. Appraise-Bluff-Persuade-Intimidate are the merchants' best friend.

You'll never be able to break into homes, that's for sure. But oh it's pure fun.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:33 am

If your Waukeenar priest isn't a merchant, you might want to reconsider some life decisions on their behalf.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 am

Behold the perfect priestess of Waukeen in her shenanigans with the Hound Archon

;) <3 --> Yma! :)
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:13 am

But a mage and or Cleric has potentional for craft potions, craft wands, and craft scrolls. If went spell foc enchantment could sale service as enchanter and if went spell foc transmutation could sale services as a golem crafter. I'm not saying these are better than pure rogue. Only real problem with pure rogue is that from what I can persuade doesn't translate much into arelith system neither does appraise, or intimidate (well intimidate doesn't unless epic barbarian with terrifying range) Not sure abjuration focus helps a banite merchant looking to dominate the market. Divination I do as means he scry on competitors to find out their future market plans before they roll out their prices in their shops.

Also was looking for mmm skill and feat lay out for these sample builds to give me a better idea of what they would be capable of IG.

Also I plan to roll an epic for this character so wondering what gifts would be useful for this concept. Also wondering if should take any ECL adj gifts for this concept or not and if so which ones. Or will it be worth it as I don't plan to adventure as this character ever, point of him will be stay in Cordor type of character until he is found out if ever. As well if should take any special class paths, for this concept.

Faye

Post by Faye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:36 am

CragOneEye wrote:Only real problem with pure rogue is that from what I can persuade doesn't translate much into arelith system neither does appraise, or intimidate (well intimidate doesn't unless epic barbarian with terrifying range)
For a Roleplay build, these skills have a lot of thematic uses. If you're playing a merchant and you haven't got a single point in Appraise then how are you supposed to know where to set your prices - are you going to know to raise them for an easy mark, lower them to win favour? Without Persuade, how are you going to lure them in? And without Intimidate, how're you going to press-gang others into buying your goods, or forcing them out of the market?

The trick with a plan like this is to let your character be swept along with the flow. It's less recommended to be all "x will do this, this, and this" and far more interesting and immersive to see how they'll fit into other's plots, and how people will help to write his story. A Scryer takes him under their wing? Ace! A lockpick extraordinaire teaches him the tricks of the trade? Excellent.

Sometimes this means gimping your build, or not spelling your build out before the character is made. Which is completely fine! If you take a feat which has little mechanical usage but is relevant for your character, that's good Roleplaying, and that's encouraged. And if you don't plan out each level of your build then you have more room to chop and change when it comes to actually playing him - which will be useful when you're on the streets of Cordor selling your wares - a target for any mad Wizard or pious Cleric to abduct.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 am

My argument would be are several ways could go about it, is that diff builds would all easily fit the RP concept of my character what I am is looking for is a "best fit".

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:50 pm

With what you want you either want the ol' cleric rogue (i.e Krad) or a LP based bard with other stuff. Considering you're after a CHA heavy guy for the sales stuff, off the top of my head I'd just go with a Bard 20 BG 4 Rogue 6 build.

You're a little feat starved early but... Inspiring song for All the buffs you could ever want, rogue for skill dumping and an extra 3d6 sneak and BG for the old "My saves are over the top" while giving you some damage and AC.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:48 pm

That would work but that also gave me an alternate idea such as warlock/rogue/bg wor warlock/bg, and take a few spell focuses in Rp based schools. such as divination and abjuration.

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:54 pm

Well considering you're going Zhent. Drop the everlasting song, go favoured soul. 16 bard 4 BG 10 rogue. Gets you another feat for epic skill focus lockpicking or somesuch.

This'll show you as a higher than normal faithful of Bane.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:50 pm

But still go a bard or go as warlock?

Faye

Post by Faye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:17 pm

one day remains wrote: go favoured soul.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Faye wrote:
one day remains wrote: go favoured soul.
Whoops okay did some reading on them, as I know little about that path, do they get new spells or same ones as a bard does? Is my first question, Second question from what I read they believe they are descendants of gods, so whilst being a Banite but avoiding heresy I am assuming they would claim to be a descendant of Xvim? instead of Bane? (given Xvim was bane's son)

Scrap what I said check a more acurate source, I think am liking the idea of Favoured Soul.

Urch

Post by Urch » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 am

I got an idea for people to try and build.

- Build me a character that has high AC (enough to use -guard and not get hit by epic level bosses), uses a one handed weapon, no shield, no offhand weapon. Preferably with some kind of evasion or improved evasion.
- Epic dodge isn't a must but would be nice.
- The key of this is the ability to use -guard on people. PvP strength wise I don't care, this is mainly for PvE.
- Class wise I care not either, the stranger the use of classes the better. (Also, while I'm not against using it, I'm not a fan of favoured souls in the slightest).
- I don't care for what weapon it is either (I'd use anything. Yes, even light hammers).
- I want it to be useful at all levels. I suck at leveling, therefore I need something that won't be as effective as a butter kettle in early levels.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:57 am

Here you go man. This guy uses a kama [best way to go. moar powah] or a rapier [could be cool, but looses 2 attacks a round and flurry of blows.] This would be fun to level cause you get something new most levels.

Swashbuckle this!
STR: 10
DEX: 18 (26) [Gift used, needed for Epic Dodge.]
CON: 16 [Gift used, .5 elc is nothing.]
WIS: 14
INT: 14
CHA: 8

Human: (Quick to Master)
01: Rogue(1): Luck of Heroes, Expertise
02: Rogue(2): {Evasion}
03: Rogue(3): Weapon Finesse, {Uncanny Dodge I}
04: Monk(1): DEX+1, {Cleave, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist}, (DEX=19)
05: Monk(2): {Deflect Arrows}
06: Monk(3): Toughness
07: Rogue(4)
08: Fighter(1): DEX+1, Weapon Focus, (DEX=20)
09: Fighter(2): Iron Will, Improved Expertise
10: Fighter(3)
11: Fighter(4): Weapon Specialization
12: Rogue(5): DEX+1, Improved Critical, (DEX=21)
13: Rogue(6)
14: Rogue(7)
15: Rogue(8): Great Fortitude
16: Rogue(9): DEX+1, (DEX=22)
17: Rogue(10): Improved Evasion
18: Rogue(11): Lightning Reflexes
19: Rogue(12)
20: Monk(4): DEX+1, (DEX=23)
21: Fighter(5): Epic Weapon Focus
22: Fighter(6): Epic Weapon Specialization
23: Monk(5)
24: Monk(6): DEX+1, Great Dexterity I, {Knockdown, Improved Knockdown}, (DEX=25)
25: Rogue(13): Defensive Roll
26: Rogue(14)
27: Rogue(15): Epic Dodge
28: Fighter(7): DEX+1, (DEX=26)
29: Fighter(8): Armor Skin
30: Rogue(16): Epic Prowess, Crippling Strike

Hitpoints: 344
Skillpoints: 291
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 23/19/29
Saving Throw bonuses: Spells: +3, Mind Effects: +2, Traps: +3
BAB: 21
AB (max, naked): 33 (melee), 30 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 29/30
Spell Casting:
Alignment Changes: 0

Disable Trap 2(4), Discipline 32(32), Heal 33(35), Hide 33(41), Listen 33(35), Lore 9(11), Move Silently 33(41), Open Lock 2(10), Spellcraft 16(18), Tumble 33(41), UMD 16(15), remaining skillpoints 33 [You have enough points to max out one more skill or spread out for epic traps.]

01: Disable Trap(1), Heal(4), Hide(4), Listen(4), Lore(4), Move Silently(4), Open Lock(1), Spellcraft(2), Tumble(4), UMD(4), Save(10),
02: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Lore(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), UMD(1), Save(14),
03: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Lore(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), UMD(1), Save(16),
04: Discipline(7), Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Lore(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(10),
05: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Lore(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), Save(8),
06: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Lore(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(8),
07: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), UMD(4), Save(8),
08: Discipline(2), Heal(1), Save(10),
09: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Spellcraft(1), Save(11),
10: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Save(14),
11: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Spellcraft(1), Save(15),
12: Heal(1), Hide(5), Listen(5), Move Silently(5), Tumble(5), UMD(5),
13: Disable Trap(1), Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Open Lock(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), UMD(1), Save(1),
14: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(7),
15: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), Save(11),
16: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(17),
17: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), Save(21),
18: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(27),
19: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), Save(31),
20: Discipline(9), Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(24),
21: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Spellcraft(1), Save(25),
22: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Save(28),
23: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Hide(3), Listen(3), Move Silently(3), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(3), Save(19),
24: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(20),
25: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), Save(24),
26: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Tumble(1), Save(30),
27: Heal(1), Hide(1), Listen(1), Move Silently(1), Spellcraft(1), Tumble(1), Save(34),
28: Discipline(4), Heal(1), Save(34),
29: Discipline(1), Heal(1), Spellcraft(1), Save(35),
30: Heal(1), Hide(3), Listen(3), Move Silently(3), Tumble(3), Save(33),
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.