Procedural Loot

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Procedural Loot

Post by Liareth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Given the recent changes to the enchantment system that the development team has made, I want to take some time to explain exactly how the procedural loot system works.

To start, I should clarify the definition of procedural loot. The term Procedural loot describes items that are named as 'Magical <x>'. The properties present on these items are randomly generated when they are created. These items are spawned on mobs, bosses, and chests, though they do not infringe on loot created by the traditional loot system. It is possible for more than one item to spawn at once.

These procedural items have a chance to be tailored. In this context, a tailored item is an item whose properties have been generated to complement a specific character. The tailoring algorithm works as follows:
  • If a skill, it will only include skills that you have invested points into, plus heal and discipline.
  • If a stat, it will use your two highest stats plus CON, excluding INT if you don't have a level in wizard or assassin.
The roll for an item to drop isn't a simple percentage chance. The chance is based on how many items that have previously dropped for you in a certain time period. Note the word 'drop' here, rather than 'looted'. This distinction is important because you may use one of your higher percentage drop chances by being in a party. When an item drop chance occurs, the system will grab the party member who has had the lowest number of drops in any one period. It doesn't matter who opens the chest or who loots the item. The first few drops in a certain time period will be tailored for the character whose loot slot they occupy.

Drop rates in a party are not accelerated, but they draw from a broader range of characters (the ones in your party), which means that when soloing you might have a 50% chance for an item to drop, and then a 25% when that one drops, whereas in a party, you will have four 50% chances, then four 25% chances. Overall, you will gain more loot, and the loot will be tailored for each party member in turn. Note that loot from mobs will never be tailored; only loot from bosses or chests will be.

Loot scales based on the level of the mob, boss, or chest. The character level does not matter. Low level loot will generally contain fewer properties and have more weaker skill rolls than high level loot.

I am going to refrain from provided exact spawn rates and lockout periods to avoid abuse of the system, but I will explain the two types of gear that can currently drop.
  • Tier 1 gear described basic adventuring gear. This gear can spawn with 1-4 properties, and one of those properties can be an increased stat. The rest of the properties will be skills. Boots can spawn with +1 AC.
  • Tier 2 gear describes advanced adventuring gear. This gear can spawn with 3-6 properties, and two of those properties can be an increased stat. The rest of the properties will be skills. Boots can spawn with +1 AC.
I have heard several times that enchanters are now useless. I should explain why this is wrong. Even given perfect luck (which will never happen), it would take a high level character a month based on the current rates to get ideal gear in every slot. An enchanter has the luxury of choosing the exact properties they put on an item, and can draw from a broader range of properties than the procedural loot system does. The question is time versus money invested: do you want to adventure for several months to get perfect gear, or do you want to pay an enchanter to do it for you? Either way, enchanters still have a place, be it enchanting properties that the procedural loot system does not cover, to creating perfectly itemized items for those who have the money to pay for them.

In summary:
  • The loot system rewards occasional adventuring by providing high percentage drop chance gear which is tailored to be useful to at least one character in your party.
  • The loot system facilitates grinding by allowing loot to continue to spawn after all tailored item slots have been acquired for the period. However, further items spawned during this time are not tailored, meaning the loot generation system can pull from any stats and any skills.
  • Make sure to invest a skill point in any skills you wish tailored gear to include.
Update 24/03/2017:

Procedural items now have a chance to spawn with the runic property. The runic property improves the success of next property to be enchanted on an item based on the following rules:
  • Skill Focus: Enchantment: +33% success rate.
  • Greater Skill Focus: Enchantment: +66% success rate.
  • Epic Skill Focus: Enchantment: +100% success rate.
You can tell this property is active on an item in a few ways. First, the name of the item will be coloured blue. Second, extra text will be visible at the bottom of the item's description, explaining that the item is now more enchantable than normal, and specifying which type of enchanter is required to take advantage of the runic nature of the item.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Procedural Loot

Post by Skibbles » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Will it be possible to tag character names onto these items so their names and descriptions can be customized? I'm seeing some shops lately with big piles of magic rings and gloves and they all have the same name, making it difficult to differentiate between them when browsing and I often forget which item I've looked at.

Of course, renaming things is up to the finder but I think it would be a nice thing to rename and add fun descriptions to gear.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

My decency

Post by My decency » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Skibbles wrote:Will it be possible to tag character names onto these items so their names and descriptions can be customized? I'm seeing some shops lately with big piles of magic rings and gloves and they all have the same name, making it difficult to differentiate between them when browsing and I often forget which item I've looked at.

Of course, renaming things is up to the finder but I think it would be a nice thing to rename and add fun descriptions to gear.
I bought a pair of gloves from a shop and was able to rename/redescribe then and I wasn't the finder of them!
Elizabeth 'Jezebel' Kingsley
Yesthyra 'Yessy' Rosewillow
Alais Kingsley
Hunter548 wrote:Sun elves are culturally evil by any standard that isnt slobbing corellons knob

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Really? Well I guess I jumped before doing the right thing and trying. I'll give it a try when I get home!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 am

You can rename them, I rename all I put in my shop to make browsing easier. I was also able to rename ones I bought.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Is the loot generated OnSpawn, so that it can be pickpocketed?

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Updated the OP with some more info.
Artos13 wrote:Is the loot generated OnSpawn, so that it can be pickpocketed?
It isn't! That's a pretty good idea though.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Are the "type of enchanter" variables racial only, ir alignment/class too? Do the racial elements respect subrace, or base race?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 am

Seems pretty cool! Good show!