Arelith Time and Scheduling

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Draeiscuil

Arelith Time and Scheduling

Post by Draeiscuil » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:43 am

Hi all!

I know it's common knowledge that the ratio of time in real life to Arelith's timetable is 1:10, but I thought I'd break it down because some have asked about it (Krivoklat in the suggestions forum, most recently), it's neat to see it splayed out in a new perspective, and frankly, I'm bored. So, here goes!

To start, a simple table:
(Real Life = Arelith Time)
6 minutes = 1 hour
36 minutes = 6 hours
1:12 = 12 hours
2:24 = 1 day
7:12 = 3 days
16:48 = 7 days
1 day = 10 days
1 day, 9:36 = 14 days

After this point, it starts getting more or less pointless trying to be exact in terms of posting something using an IC timeframe because of server resets, maintenance, etc etc. However, if you're just wanting to give people a rough idea IC and intend to clarify with an OOC note at the end, you could keep going with phrases like these...

3 days = 30 days, "one month"
7 days = 70 days, "two and a tenday"
14 days = 140 days, "four and a half months"
21 days = 210 days, "seven months"

Since sometimes players like to rp a pregnancy, those would last about as long as...
20 days, 8 hours = rough prematurity estimate (when the child could still potentially live)
28 days = standard pregnancy

A bunch of characters will often respond to, "How long have you been here?" with, "A few months now." In case you're curious, that stops being true at...
36 days, 12 hours = 1 year on Arelith!
So, if you've been playing your character for a little over a month, you have earned the right to express your stay in terms of the "year" unit, not "month". Congratulations!

60 days = 1 year, 7 months, 15 days
90 days = 2 years, 5 months, 20 days
180 days = 4 years, 11 months, 10 days
365 days = 10 years!!

If you have a character for a year in real life, I have to give you some major kudos. I can never stick to mine for more than a few months. Good job!

So, if you go back and double-check some of the math, it doesn't all come out perfectly. For instance, 180 RL days * 10 = 1800 Arelith days - 4 years (1460 days) = 340 days - 11 months (330 days) = 10 days left, so 4 years, 11 months, and 10 days on Arelith. But! 182.5 days in RL should equal exactly 5 years (1825 days) on Arelith, right? 182.5 * 10 = 1825. Cool. But, let's compare the differences of those two equations. 182.5, exactly half a RL year, minus 180 days equals 2.5 days, which we know to be 25 days on Arelith, however, 5 years minus 4 years, 11 months, and 10 days equals 20 days left! 25 does not equal 20.

Is the system slightly flawed? Sure. It doesn't account for 31-day months or Februaries, or leap years, or as mentioned before, server crashes, resets, and scheduled maintenance. Not to mention, it does not account for the five random days in the Calendar of Harptos, the established calendar of Faerun. It's imperfect, but let's be honest- so is our beloved server!

I don't know about you, but if I tried to measure every single thing on Arelith in exact RL terms, I would stress myself out and stop having fun. Some things are meant to be left to the imagination. It's a fantasy world, after all!

That being said, don't forget that it is perfectly acceptable to follow an IC time in a note with an OOC one so that everyone knows when you're talking about. As far as I know, it's one of the only times an OOC message is acceptable. For example, "The festival's in a few months! I hope to see you there! ((OOC: in two weeks, Jan 1st, at 12:00 noon EST))". If your character is talking to another, however, it's still better if you send a tell instead of making an OOC note out loud. DM's, please slap a big "YOU ARE WRONG" in the comments and correct me if any of that is not true. :)

Otherwise, I hope this little guide serves all your timely needs, and I'll see you server-side!
"It's ALL a matter of perspective..." -Desh

Lorkas

Re: Arelith Time and Scheduling

Post by Lorkas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 am

The reason you're ruining onto contradictions in your math is that in Arelith, every IG month is 28 days long, making 1 IG year only 336 IG days long. In your days-to-years conversion you used 365 days.

As long as you're aware of that difference in the calendars, the math should work out, apart from server resets throwing things off.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Things might be a little more stable if somebody set up an external clock, maybe on a webpage, that ran ten times faster and gave the accurate date.

Bonus points if the server could somehow ping this and get the correct time from it on every reset.

But yes, the ratio isn't exactly 1:10 due to resets and maintenance stuff.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Krivoklat

Post by Krivoklat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Using the 6min = 1hr, counting up the minutes, and using base-6 for hours and base 24 for days, I got this.

___Real Time_/_Game Time__
6 min = 1 hr.
144 min (2hrs 24min) = 1 day
1440 min (24 hrs/1 day) = 10 days
4,032 min (2 days, 48 min ) = 28 day (1 game month)
48,384 min (33 days, 14 hrs, 28 min) = 12 Months (1 game year)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1 hr = 10 hrs
3 hrs = 1 day, 6 hrs.
6 hrs = 2 Days, 12 hrs
12 hrs = 5 days
18 hrs = 7 days, 12 hrs
24 hrs/1 Day = 10 days
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
2 days = 20 days
3 Days = 1 month, 2 days
7 days (1 week) = 2 Months, 14 days
2 weeks = 5 months
3 weeks = 7 Months, 14 days
4 weeks (28-day month) = 10 Months
30-day month = 10 Months, 20 days
31-day month = 11 months, 2 days

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:28 am

In the underdark we use different scheduling, which kinda works, thanks to Andunor not having a clock or a sun to go by, its viewed as pretty standard.

RL time : IC unit of time

1 day: 1 cycle
1 week: 1 tencycle
1 month: 1 year
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:56 am

Weird, I always used cycle to mean IC day and tencycle to mean RL day/10 IG cycles. I guess I might have confused a lot of UD players if they use those terms In the same way you do.

1 month being 1 year is approximately the same as the surfacer calendar. Do you really just have 28-31 cycles in an IG year?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:26 pm

I've been going by the same assumptions as Lorkas when interacting in the UD and referring to cycles, just made sense to me with the 1:10 time ratio.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Lorkas wrote:Weird, I always used cycle to mean IC day and tencycle to mean RL day/10 IG cycles. I guess I might have confused a lot of UD players if they use those terms In the same way you do.

1 month being 1 year is approximately the same as the surfacer calendar. Do you really just have 28-31 cycles in an IG year?
Been doing it since the pit town era. Know of several others who do too. There does seem to be some confusion with people who main surface. That would explain it.

And yes.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm

I guess it's good that my goblin started referring to a single IG day as a "sleep", i.e. "ten sleeps since ___"