Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack (OACPP)

Hints and Guidelines, How To's on Registration, Activation, NWN, etc.

Moderators: Mayonnaise, Forum Moderators

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack (OACPP)

Post by CragOrion » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 am

I figured with the advent of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition, now is as good a time as any to finally just start my own thread, rather than to keep using Kregor's. KregorRanger did a lot of the initial work on this portrait pack, and when he went on to IRL, I decided to take over the job. Much of the following tutorial is his own words.
Portraits in NWN can be an awesome addition to the immersion of your character. Descriptions are great, and Arelith gives us the freedom to set and change it at will. But finding the perfect portrait can add a depth to your PC when you pull up your character sheet, or an onlooker examines you, or in the party screen. Personally, being someone who's used portraits even when I was playing standalone, I love a huge portrait collection, and it can even inspire your character's concept and personality.

I'm also very picky with my portraits (more picky than Kregor was, even), and they have to be both well done and artistically similar to the painted realism of the originals (with some rare exceptions here and there). They also need to fit the setting and fantasy/medieval/renaissance feel. So, I've decided to make a standing thread of my own collection.

I will update this collection dynamically. Updating both the master folder, and releasing incremental updates, so that anyone can just download the incrementals and add them in, rather than a full download.

First the Disclaimer
Arelith is committed to a no downloads necessary policy, so this is neither a required nor admin sponsored collection. You don't need portraits to run the server, but if you want to see any of my PCs' portraits or many others, you will need these.

What's the best way to get these portraits into my game?
If you are playing NWN EE from Steam, then its easy. go here, log in and subscribe!
If you are not playing NWN EE from Steam, then you will need to read below.
You'll need to pay attention on whether you're playing original NWN or NWN EE, as the Portraits folder is located in a different place.

1) Download the portrait pack, and unzip it. You will need either 7zip or WinRAR which you can get here
2) Open your NWN folder. For original NWN, you need the one that contains your NWN application. (On most Windows systems, this will be "C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN"). For NWN EE, the game keeps portrait/hak/override/etc files in your documents, so you will need to navigate to your documents and open the Neverwinter Nights folder (located "C:\Users\[your profile]\Documents\Neverwinter Nights").
3) If you already have a portraits folder, you want to avoid causing duplicates and the like. You need to rename your present portraits folder - something like OLDPortraits or Portraits.bak will do. If there's no existing portraits folder, and if you've never done portraits, there may not be, skip to step 4.
4) Simply drag the OACPP portraits folder into the NWN folder (or the "Neverwinter Nights" folder if you're playing NWN EE).

Renaming and keeping the old folder allows you to be able to go fishing for your own portrait again, should it not be included in my collection. See below for further Q&A if this is the case, and you want your portrait in the pack!

How do I change my portrait?
You will need to page a DM, and ask them to transfer you to the PC modification area, once there, you can type -portrait along with the main part of the image name in your portraits folder.

For example, if you want to set a portrait which the largest image of the set is named "po_hu_f_91_H.tga" you will type:

Code: Select all

-portrait po_hu_f_91_
(if there's an underscore at the end, you do have to type it.) Presto! You're done.

I used your portrait folder instead of mine, and my PC now has a generic portrait
Then either I don't have your pc's portrait, or it could be present under a different image name than yours. If you want to compare images, see below for how to view .tga files in File Exploerer.

How can I find out what portrait my existing PC uses?
You can open your character file using Leto:
http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter/mods/61
In order to get a local copy of your character to open, while you are logged into Arelith, go to the main menu, and hit the "save character" button. A copy of your character will now be saved in the localvault subfolder.

Alright, you don't have it, and I want to share my portrait with the server!
Submit it to me, via PM, in the form of a Dropbox link, and I will evaluate it, and if it's not a duplicate and passes my quality test, I'll include it in the next incremental update and the master folder.

I found/made/etc a cool image but don't have it in NWN portrait format
You'll need to either put it in the correct format or ask around to see if someone will do it for you. Formatting a slew of these images to be portraits can be a very time consuming process. You'll need a program like Paint.net to do this.

Each portrait has 5 files associated with it. A huge version (256x512), a large version (128x256), a medium version (64x128), a small version (32x64), and a tiny version (16x64). Each file will have a tag at the end of it depending on which version it is

Code: Select all

po_hu_f_91_H.tga
po_hu_f_91_L.tga
po_hu_f_91_M.tga
po_hu_f_91_S.tga
po_hu_f_91_T.tga

Those are the very basic basics about formatting the portraits. There's more to it, but writing a guide for creating portraits is a project for another day.

How can I tell if the portrait I want to use is a duplicate?
How can I pick out a cool portrait from the collection after creation?

Windows is not designed to be able to view .tga files easily like you can with most standard image files like jpg and png. I suggest downloading a program called SageThumbs. This program will integrate with File Explorer and you will be able to preview .tga files there like you can with other image files. Once you install SageThumbs, you may need to reboot, and then just go to your Portraits folder, set your view to show large icons or activate the preview pane and look through the collection there. You can also open .tga files individually if you also installed Paint.net

How did you come about all of these portraits??
KregorRanger did the original legwork of compiling the portraits. Years of collecting from various downloadable sources yielded a pretty sizable collection, including some of his own conversions from sources found on Elfwood.com, and Deviantart.com. He added to this with Mrs. Mithreas' (LittleWeasel) own posted portrait collections, to which he then combed through and pulled out portraits based on these criteria:

1) Duplicate images - culled in favor of those present in LittleWeasel's folder, when possible. Kregor used a combination of an image matching app and human intelligence (RL hours worth of browsing).
2) Poorly scaled images - were either fixed to correct proportions, if possible, or given the boot, if not. Some of these included restoring from previous image sources, if he knew them.
3) PG13 filter - No frontal nudity to any extent, this meant culling a good number of Royo's images, and others.
4) Mismatched art styles - Anything that didn't at least approach an illustrative realistic approach was killed off. This means, no pen and ink, comic style art; no 3D CG art; no anime beefcake or cheesecake; no Photoshopped images.

After taking over the job from KregorRanger, I merged in my own collection and continued on adding submissions according to this criteria. As stated before, I can tend to be a bit more picky than he was, but as the collection grows, increased pickyness is a necessity.

There are so many portraits in this collection! Is there a limit to how much we can add to it?
Yes, unfortunately there is, which is a big part of why we have to be so picky. Each portrait comes with 5 files. The more files you have in your Portraits folder, the longer they take to load when choosing a portrait on character creation. The main problem is that Neverwinter Nights typically crashes at around 8,000 files in the Portraits folder (not sure if this is true in NWN EE yet), so ideally, I try to keep the collection no larger than 7,500 files (that's 1,500 portraits to choose from!). This means in order to keep adding submissions, I periodically have to prune the collection and cut out some portraits that I think are not up to par. That's not to say that portraits I cut from the collection aren't good, but there are so many really good portraits, that the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Okay, I found a portrait I want to use and it's properly formatted. How do I host it so you can download and review it?
I put together a quick guide for getting your file hosted:
https://sites.google.com/site/cragorionguides/home

Steam Users
Now that the OACPP is available on steam, there are some important notes for steam users to know:

1. Steam does not put the portraits into the Documents\Neverwinter Nights\Portraits folder. All workshop subscriptions are stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content . Therefore, if you have portraits in both the Documents location, and the workshop location, both locations will be compiled when you play the game from Steam.

2. If you play NWN EE from the Beamdog launcher, you will only get the portraits from the Documents location. Anything in your workshop location will NOT be loaded. You will need to continue getting your downloads here if you mainly play from Beamdog.

3. If you are playing from Steam and have the OACPP in your Documents location, but are also subscribed to it on Steam, then both will be loaded, and when you go to choose portraits, you will notice everything in OACPP appears twice. You may also experience a little lag when browsing the portraits due to the sheer amount of portraits being loaded. It is probably best to only keep the portraits in one location. If you play from Steam mostly, rather than the Beamdog launcher, then I would clear out your Documents\Neverwinter Nights\Portraits location. If you don't want to just delete everything because maybe you have other portraits in there too, I would suggest using a program like CCleaner to scan between the two locations, find duplicate files, and delete the ones in the Documents\Neverwinter Nights\Portraits location.

4. Some people on Steam experience issues when content is updated, it will disappear from their game when they go to open it. People say this is a common problem on steam. I have my own theory about it. I noticed a user got this problem right after I made an update to the OACPP on the workshop, so I believe what happens is that when you start your game, Steam starts uploading a current version of the folder to your workshop folder, in this case, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\704450\1389280600 where 704450 represents NWN EE and 1389280600 represents OACPP. If the mod in particular is a large file (which this one is, being over 700MB), and your internet connection isn't super super super super fast, then Steam might not be able to finish downloading the mod before your game loads. That is why you aren't able to see the content after an update. But if this is true, then you should just be able to exit the game, wait a couple minutes, and then restart the game. If I'm right about all this, everything should load normally after that.

That's all the hows and whys

Now for what you came here for:
Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack version 4.5.20
OACPP Full Masterfile

The above link will be updated when new versions come out. Please save replies for incrimental update notifications and PM all submissions to my forum inbox.

And don't forget to hit Subscribe Topic at the bottom of the page in the little wrench dropdown menu to get notifications when the pack is updated!
Last edited by CragOrion on Mon May 21, 2018 3:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Kuma wrote:if anyone tries to play a relative of one of my dudes without permission i will PK them irl
Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack (OACPP)

Post by CragOrion » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

Update!

Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack v3.12.14
7,390 Files
1,478 Portraits

:arrow: Added 5 portrait submissions

:arrow: Found a couple images in the Character Appearance thread that I thought deserved to be portraits so formatted and added them

All additions viewable here

:arrow: Did a lot of pruning. Removed 26 portraits for various reasons. View what was removed here If you want to see my reasons for the prunings, select the images and look at their info for a short description.

:arrow: Fixed one portrait that was squished/stretched, viewable here

:arrow: Found another duplicate, Jenova_ and Elf_wiz, kept Elf_wiz

DOWNLOADS

Get the full portrait pack here:
OACPP v3.12.14 Full

If you already have the main download from the last update and just need what I added today, then you can get the incremental here:
OACPP v3.8.18 Incremental
(Be sure to let it replace AirSamuri_ portraits as that portrait was fixed)
Thanks, and as always, if you have anything you'd like me to add, just drop me a line in my inbox and I'll take a look.

And don't forget to hit the Subscribe Topic link at the very bottom if you want to be notified for updates!
Kuma wrote:if anyone tries to play a relative of one of my dudes without permission i will PK them irl
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Here's a granular update.

I've decided to post these up as they come to me, that way they can be available to everyone without having to wait for a main file update. When the main file is updated next, they will be added to it.

Installing these will be the same process as updating with an incremental. Just make sure you have the main file already if you don't, and then open the granular up and move the contents into your existing portraits folder. Simple.

I've had two submissions so far:

:arrow: Submission by Karris the Anarchist, previewed here https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f5vwed28hnkd ... in.7z?dl=1

:arrow: Submission by afreshstart, previewed here
(it was a slow day at work today so I took the time to recrop this one a little better for the small and tiny files, making them closups)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ybudvdhqj7ll ... rc.7z?dl=0

Enjoy
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:54 am

Another quick granular submitted by Sanctum

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2ts7jji6tcj5 ... l_.7z?dl=0

Preview here

I also added a link to the OP to a quick guide to getting your portrait zipped and hosted so you can submit it
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

Taoen7

Post by Taoen7 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Is there any special instructions for installing this? Do we need a special portaits.2da or?

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 am

Nope, just extract the resulting .tga files into your '...\Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition\portraits' folder, and you're good to go. If 'portraits' doesn't exist, just make it.
May you live in interesting times.

Neo

Post by Neo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Is this still updated? I modeled my character's appearance based on her portrait and it'd be a shame if I'm the only person who sees it.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Neo wrote:Is this still updated? I modeled my character's appearance based on her portrait and it'd be a shame if I'm the only person who sees it.
Crag's not dead yet, so I'd imagine it is.
Cortex wrote:dont listen to baron for good builds hes bad mkay

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 am

Update!

Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack v4.3.27
7,415 Files
1,483 Portraits

:arrow: All three of the previous granular updates are included

:arrow: 3 new submissions

All additions viewable here

:arrow: Pruned the shameless John Snow portrait

:arrow: After going through the portraits, I think I got the last of the duplicates last time, but if you find any, please let me know!

DOWNLOADS

OACPP v4.3.27 Full

If you already have the main download from the last update and just need what I added today, then you can get the incremental here:
OACPP v4.3.27 Incremental
Thanks, and as always, if you have anything you'd like me to add, just drop me a line in my inbox and I'll take a look.

And don't forget to hit the Subscribe Topic link at the very bottom if you want to be notified for updates!
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:30 am

This should be a steam workshop submission so whenever you update it all the 'subscribers' automatically get the updates.
"If these strong builds are being abused in PvP, they will be dealt with by the DM team."
Current Character

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:48 am

Fo sho

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 am

And I just came here to make the exact same suggestion. Having this on the workshop as well as here would be awesome.
Add me on Discord! PumpkinSpiceAllYearPLSThank#9022

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 pm

This is actually being discussed atm

^.^
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

Taoen7

Post by Taoen7 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:26 pm

We need more gobo and monster portraits in there. There is one in the core game that I use for a female gobo it must be a wight or something but its cool.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't know the TOS of Steam Workshop, but you should look it up to make sure you don't upload content that wasn't made or belong to you.
Scurvy wrote:This is a fine stance to have, but a little misplaced in a mechanics feedback thread, don'cha think?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:08 am

Ive got 1500 portraits in my folder and still people have the default no portrait showing up in game. Bash head on desk*
Yes I can sign

EternalSunrise

Post by EternalSunrise » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:23 am

Hi Crag, great job on the portraits!

Quick request - would you be able to remove all portraits tagged with AdreannaDrea in them please? I'm hosting them on Steam and I've overwritten quite a few of them with different portraits since I started the pack.

Let me know if you need any help with steam hosting queries too, I've spent the last few days on that headache myself :p

Neo

Post by Neo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Does this pack come with the portraits you can unlock that are already in the base game? Just something I noticed with the filenames.

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Is it alright if we put an OOC note in our character examine pages to download this portrait pack if readers can't see the portrait?

Rynn

Post by Rynn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:21 pm

TroubledWaters wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 pm
Is it alright if we put an OOC note in our character examine pages to download this portrait pack if readers can't see the portrait?
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I generally dislike any kind of OOC note in descriptions unless it's for a lore check.
Current Status: Character Drafting

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 pm

I have it on one of my own characters my self. I dont see the problem with it.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 am

EternalSunrise wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:23 am
Hi Crag, great job on the portraits!

Quick request - would you be able to remove all portraits tagged with AdreannaDrea in them please? I'm hosting them on Steam and I've overwritten quite a few of them with different portraits since I started the pack.

Let me know if you need any help with steam hosting queries too, I've spent the last few days on that headache myself :p
Are any of the portraits in the pack your intellectual property, or just portraits you've collected from different sources over the years?
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 am

Neo wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Does this pack come with the portraits you can unlock that are already in the base game? Just something I noticed with the filenames.
No, those portraits are unlocked with an override.
EDIT 5/27/18: correction, they used to. I removed them in the last update and provided a link to the override
TroubledWaters wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 pm
That is totally up to you. I would just suggest using ((double parentheses)) on anything in your description that is OOC, and keep it to a minimum. And keep in mind that if staff thinks its overboard or it doesn't belong in your description, they may ask you to change it.
Last edited by CragOrion on Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy

EternalSunrise

Post by EternalSunrise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:09 pm

CragOrion wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 am
Are any of the portraits in the pack your intellectual property, or just portraits you've collected from different sources over the years?
Hiya Crag, not sure if they'd count as my personal intellectual property, they're mostly files I've collected, curated, and edited with various GIMP work to add/remove scars, eye colour, hair colour, freckles, etc. I have spent quite a lot of time on all of that though, so I guess as they're tagged with my username, I'd say they were.

My issue with it mainly is that I didn't make my packs 'public' before now, just gave them to Kregor to distribute as he saw fit, but now that they are, I'd like to remain consistent. Some of my previous work I've pruned from my packs, and overwritten because they failed to meet my quality standards, or are just older versions of portraits I've made. For the sake of consistency I'd like all portraits tagged with my name to be the same, so that if a person logs in and sees a character with one of my portraits, both sides can be certain they're seeing the same image of their character.

If you or others enjoy the portraits, naturally they're free to get on Steam, or via email for a zipped file!

Thanks for understanding,
Kayla

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sun May 13, 2018 6:11 am

Update!

Optional Arelith Community Portrait Pack v4.5.13
6,830 Files
1,366 Portraits

:arrow: With regards to the request from EternalSunrise, I have decided the following: The portraits themselves belong to their authoring artists, however the collection is hers and for the most part will be removed. There are 10 portraits from the collection that I wanted to keep in the OACPP, so they were renamed so as to not conflict with anything she might have in her own current pack. I felt this was the best compromise.
The removed portraits are viewable here.
The kept and renamed portraits are viewable here

:arrow: 3 new submissions viewable here

:arrow: Pruned several portraits. I think I'm pretty happy with the quality of everything in the pack now. This will probably be the last time I prune anything in a good while. All pruned portraits can be found here
In order of appearance in the above link:
* a_hu_fe_069 - Proportioning is weird, like she has no neck
* 0_KREUK_PG_ - Kristen Kreuk fan art
* 0_SEPH1_NWC_ - Shameless Sephiroth fan art
* caillte006_ - Seems unfinished. The big gaping black hole that should be her torso.
* emoselves19_ - Artwork
* f_xensha_HK09_ - Come on, there's better places to get porn. Lets leave it out of our portrait pack...
* FA2NWC_ - Anachronistic. He's holding a revolver.
* FPortrait278_ - Artwork, shameless rip of Aribeth armor
* MEPortrait30_ - Artwork
* PO_DW_M_09_ - Appears stretched horizontally
* po_hu_f_254_ - Black and white pencilwork
* po_Paly8A_ - Really bad low res photoshop work. Badly clashes with itself
:arrow: Still haven't found any more duplicates, I think I got them all!

DOWNLOADS

OACPP v4.5.13 Full

This release's incremental will have both the new submissions as well as the 10 renamed portraits from the Adrianna Drea collection:
OACPP v4.5.13 Incremental

(the new forums have it in the little drop down menu with the little wrench in it)
Version 4.6.16 is out!

The Eldafiran Embassy